Michigan International Speedway 2019 is available to download! Did a very extensive overhaul of the track from the 2017 version. Below, in no particular order are the updates that were made:
Happy holidays everyone!
- Track Geometry: Removed the banking transition for the less banked bottom lane of the track in the turns. I've tested numerous combinations of track surface types and different banking, which still yielded the unwanted result where the car snaps loose when transitioning from the higher banking to the lower banking. Instead I have given the bottom of the race track a little less grip and provides the same effect. This groove has been noted in the track.ini if you want to change the grip. The backstretch and front stretch have been resized to properly represent real life. Banking exiting turn 2 has been adjusted and the bumps exiting turn 4 have been eliminated. Added some more bumps to the track, since its aged a bit.
- Updated the cameras: There are new more exciting cameras available to the track. They're a blend of the Fox and NBC camera angles as well as some experimental shots in the spectator view which provides a decent mimic of the banned wire cams that went over the front stretch.
- Added a PJOne groove: It doesn't have the same grip as the normal racing line and the AI seem to like to drive on it.
- AI: Modified the LP files so that the AI don't hit the wall approaching turn 1. The AI have been tuned to get lap times as close to what they run in real life as possible using CTS physics. NOTE: Its suggested that you use setups that have spoiler angles of 47 degrees or less to be competitive. Competitive qualifying and race setups have been included in the folder named "Race19.cts.sim" and "Qual19.cts.sim". NR2003 has the draft pack issue so the field doesn't really string out too much, therefore, the racing mimics more of the June race than the August race. AI are a little crazy with the first few laps of the race, then calm down and get strung out.
- Track textures and objects: Updated all textures to be high resolution and accurate to the 2019 version. Shadows, walls and objects have been extensive added and overhauled to look more realistic (this took a while). Added more campers and other 3do objects to the outside of the track and infield to make the track feel more alive. Big thanks to all that gave me permission to use your 3do files!
Happy holidays everyone!