Downloads
Updated

2008 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series - SRD Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike24

Retired
Reaction score
With 47 days left until the Daytona 500, and 47 teams slated to run the full, 36-race schedule, I figured we could go down the list, driver by driver, discussing what we expect each driver to do in 2008.

We'll start with Car #1.

2008 Preview
#: 1
Driver: Martin Truex Jr.
Sponsor: Bass Pro Shops
Make: Chevrolet Impala SS
Team: Dale Earnhardt Inc.
2008 Scheme:

Predictions for 2008: Truex Jr. had a remarkable 2007 season, and has really stepped into the premier driver role at DEI with the departure of Earnhardt Jr. I think that Truex will win a race or two in 2008, but I don't expect him to make the Chase. I see him finishing between 13th and 20th in points. DEI is a three car team, but only one of the teams is really Chase material. Truex will have Mark Martin to look to as a teammate, but other than that, there is a real lack of resources at DEI, with Jr. and Eury gone, for Truex and Bono to pool off of.

Please contibute your predictions and comments for this driver, but please remember to be respectful of other's opinions, and keep it clean.

Tomorrow: #2 Kurt Busch

Batman1138

Reaction score
Truex wins three races California, Dover, and New Hampshire. Makes the chase and finishes at least sixth. Also Truex wins the Bud Shootout.

Rogue

Reaction score
Truex will win a couple of races but not until late in the season, and rely on Mark martin to help him make the chase. but he will fall short.

Mike24

Retired
Reaction score
2008 Preview
#: 2
Driver: Kurt Busch
Sponsor: Miller Light
Make: Dodge Charger
Team: Penske Racing

2008 Scheme:

Predictions for 2008: Kurt Busch had a decent 2007 season, finishing 7th in points with only one win. The success of his season, however, was greater than the numbers allude to. Busch finally began getting comfortable in the seat of the blue deuce, and was a factor to win in many races, only to be trumped by bad luck. Kurt's outlook for 2008? I think that he and Pat Tryson will continue improve on their chemistry, and Busch will be a factor for the title. He's finally planted roots in Penske, and will win 3-4 races next year, make the Chase, and finish in the top five in points.

Please contibute your predictions and comments for this driver, but please remember to be respectful of other's opinions, and keep it clean.

Tomorrow: #5 Casey Mears (We'll revisit #4 ?Driver Unknown, when the driver is finalized)

Batman1138

Reaction score
I think Kurt will do about the same he did in 2007. After the Dover incident with Stewart I think he got his act together. Do I think he'll win the Chase? No. Will he make it? Yes. Wins three races and 7 poles. The three races are sonoma and he'll sweep the richmond races.

JoeyDaManSS

Reaction score
am i too late for Truex? Hope not. I think Truex will do very well this year. DEI will ofcorse build on what he did in 07. I think he'll sweep Dover and maybe a Richmond race, but other then that, i see him making the chase and finishing 5th :)

Ku. Busch. Well i dont really like him, lol, but i dont use that aginst him. I dont see any difference for him. I think it'll b a so so season again for the 2 car. I do expect him to win Bristol. He is good there, but with Hendrick doin so good with the COT's, it'll b tougher for him to pull off a Bristol sweep. Plus the track being so different since the rebuild :) I like the track better btw :)

nbaker9-91

Reaction score
Truex:
Expect great things from this "kid" Being the new man for DEI, he will show us that he's got something to prove winning at quite a few races! Expect to see him in the Chase!

Ku. Busch:
He'll show us how Dodge still has something for Chevy and he will make the chase and win a few races! He'll make his Charger something new! Expect to see this Blue Dodge up there in 08!

On a side note:
The 4 car is gonna be driven by Ward isn't it? Oh well.... guess I have to wait for that one! lol

Mike24

Retired
Reaction score
nbaker, the driver situation for the 4 car is uncertain. They will be sponsored by State Water Heaters for the full 36 race schedule, but there has been no official announcement as to the driver. It could be Ward again, but Todd Bodine started the last race of the season at Homestead, and some rumors have him in that car for '08.

Batman1138

Reaction score
Germain wanted to do the Nationwide Series this year but since they are getting their own COT in 09 they are doing one more year in the trucks before going Nationwide racing.

remember it's Nationwide series, its Nationwide Series, its Nationwide series.

Mike24

Retired
Reaction score
Ha...lol.

That's gonna take some getting used to.

Sprint Cup, Sprint Cup, Sprint Cup....Winston Cup to Nextel Cup was SO much easier, TWO syllables to one...:eek:

Mike24

Retired
Reaction score
Your right about that. Nationwidewhackers just does not have the same ring as Buschwhackers. :nah:

nbaker9-91

Reaction score
We could called nationbutts! hahahahaha lol j/k....

or whacknationer :nah:

nationbutts works!
or whacksanation

Rogue

Reaction score
Ok onto Kurt Busch, after a good 2007 i think he will improve for 2008.
the blue deuce will be a serious threat for the title. i'm predicting 8 poles and 3 or 4 wins. he will make the chase and be a serious contender.

navyboy57

Reaction score
I know this is late but its for truex:
i think that truex even though Jr gone will be pretty sucessful this year. Yes he will have the help of mark martin, but i think that hey will become the face of DEI this year. he did good last year with making it into the chase but he wouldve been able to do better if the engines didnt fail on him so much and if he stays out of the crashes.

~navyboy57~

Mike24

Retired
Reaction score
#: 5
Driver: Casey Mears
Sponsor: Kellogg's\CarQuest
Make: Chevrolet Impala SS
Team: Hendrick Motorsports
2008 Scheme:

Predictions for 2008: Casey Mears had a breakthrough '07 season after stuggling through the first third of the year. He took his first career win at Lowe's and used a number of top 15 finishes to dig himself out from 35th in points to finish 15th in the final standings, as the weakest of the 4 Hendrick cars. In 2008, Casey's team will not be on the same level as the 24/48/88 teams, but will be better than it was in '07. Casey's had a year to mesh with the people around him, and he is surrounded by plenty of great equipment in the Hendrick Motorsports stable. I believe that Mears is a better driver than most think him to be, and I think he'll be mixed in with the bubble drivers for making the Chase, with 1-2 wins. He'll end up between 9th and 14th in points.

Tomorrow: #6 David Ragan

nbaker9-91

Reaction score
Casey Mears has showed us that he's the driver that can have a bad race once and then come back to win a few weeks later! Casey Mears will still be the guy that doesn't get looked at by Hendick as much as the other guys! Expect to see something from Mears!

Batman1138

Reaction score
Mears wins three races, finishes behind the 24 and 48 in points but ahead of the 88. Casey will have Alan Gufstason as a crew chief, and for the past two year Guftstason led his team to the Chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.