1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

2012 Daytona 500 Discussion

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by Sgt Slaughter, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burtonbraves

burtonbraves Fictional Extraordinaire

I thought it was a great race. Heck, this is the first time I ever stayed up until 1AM watching a race. I'm really glad Montoya and the truck driver walked away okay. That could have been disastrous. I don't blame Biffle for keeping his line. If I was in his position I'd do the same thing. Hamlin and Jr. should have done something there. And I think if Kevin pushed Burton, things would have been very different. Burton is a better puller than a pusher. Anyways, I think it was a great and thrilling speedweeks all around, no complaints out of me. Congrats to Matt and the #17 team and on to Phoenix we go!

2. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

I don't know, I wasn't watching back then. :( But the more I think of it the more a don't dislike Greg Biffle.

3. DanAsher26

DanAsher26 Well-Known Member

Why do I find this so amusing...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utzZfYRsRg4&feature=player_embedded]Kyle Busch Bathroom Pit Stop During Daytona 500 2012, Returns to Cheers and Takes a Bow, Nascar - YouTube[/ame]

4 people like this.
  4. K.Chuck

K.Chuck --Hijinxtattoo--

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. evan07

evan07 Well-Known Member

Guys this isnt close to the worst 500 ever. Do you guys not remember 2003 when it was stopped at lap 109 or something like that? That was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than last night.

6. johnp

johnp Well-Known Member

Well this was obviously bizarre, from lap 2 to the jet fuel...race was decent overall, it kind of looked like everyone was just riding around after the lap 2 accident. The high-line couldn't do much and those Roush Fords were unreal. As a Jr. fan, I'm disappointed because I was sure Jr. was gonna find a way to do it, he just had no help at the end and Biffle, despite what he said, was winning 1 for the Roush organization. I had no problem with it like Matt alluded to above, team orders have happened before.

Obviously glad Montoya and truck driver weren't seriously, if not, fatally injured and congrats to Matt Kenseth, which I'm sure is happy to win a full 500. (Which is ironic b/c the last 2 500's that involved rain went to him).

7. evan07

evan07 Well-Known Member

Wow this is so true. Great post!

8. Dr. Kstar

Dr. Kstar :^) Banned

I just noticed!
    2000 500: Rain
    2003 500: Rain
    2006 500: Rain
    2009 500: Rain
    2012 500 : Rain
    Coincidence? I think not.

9. Jeeble

Jeeble Achieving Sweetness since 1984

Preach.

10. Johnny 3 Tears

Johnny 3 Tears Well-Known Member

I don't think it rained in 2006 for the 500

11. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

I actually smiled when I saw this picture.
    [​IMG]
    It was a great race to start a season that should also be great!

4 people like this.
  12. moppenheimer

moppenheimer #Murica

8 people like this.
  13. Sousa

Sousa CAN'T NEWTON

Dale Earnhardt Jr., the Daytona 500 Bathroom race winner. FOX should put this on the race ticker when showing Dale Jr's results at Daytona, lol :D

14. Deuce

Deuce Well-Known Member

Yeah there was. You could hardly see the cars thru all the mist

1 person likes this.
  15. ckgordon24

ckgordon24 Well-Known Member

I come back after last night to see this discussion and wow. I have never seen this many people cry. How long have most of you been Nascar fans? Do ya'll not remember 90's Daytona racing? We did not B**ch about that. Sorry we didn't have a photo finish and flip and a huge pile-up at the end. People calling this race awful just amazes me.

5 people like this.
  16. oddjob626

oddjob626 Active Member

so true

17. ckgordon24

ckgordon24 Well-Known Member

Just had to get that out. I use to love watching Gordon and Dale Sr duke it out at Daytona. Blocking and bumping each other. Heck yeah it was hard to pass back then. Could Biffle have pulled out? Yeah. Did he? No. Maybe it was hard for him to pull out and knowing Dale Jr he would have tried to pass Biffle when he had the chance. So I just don't see why the race was awful.

2 people like this.
  18. B.McKeever

B.McKeever Well-Known Member

I really never saw the point in ridding the two-car tandems. At least when they wrecked in those it was usually a 4-6 car wreck instead of a 14+ car wreck. They were actually more exciting to watch, too. I used to love plate racing, but the 2-car tandems thrilled me more, now the drafting is boring to watch. Two lines of cars with occasional "hung-out-to-dry" sucker. Not as exciting. Maybe NASCAR will "listen" again and all the 2-car tandems.

19. amidst tundra

amidst tundra Well-Known Member

People like to whinge, it's pretty much become de rigueur to estimate how many wrecks there will be while crash fans sit at the edge of their seats waiting for a flip or some other potentially fatal accident, then whine when it doesn't happen. If not that then there should be a lead change at least every lap, if not multiple times per lap... fuel strategy, or strategy of any type is "boring." Guess people have never seen any other type of racing where lead changes are dictated by drivers skill, picking the right line appreciating talent and race management.

20. Markfan

Markfan Sim Racing Designosaur

The drivers tonight were racing very tediously, probably due to the water temps, and were afraid to jump out of line. If more drivers had tried to run on the outside, there would have been more passing. There was definitely more passing going on back then.

2-car tandems were just random shuffling with little skill needed.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.