1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

2014 Speedweeks/Daytona 500 @ Daytona Discussion

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by labontefanboy, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Congrats to Jr! Finally had a good run and glad to see him happy. That race was worth the wait.

2. JKB#7

JKB#7 Well-Known Member

I see Kasey has the same luck on SS from last year. Great race .

3. ThatOneShredder

ThatOneShredder "I can shotgun a White Claw."

They showed it, Harvick and Kyle Busch made contact and triggered it. As for anyone being hurt, I haven't heard anything...

4. 2448fan4life

2448fan4life Fan of Hendrick Motorsports and Martin Truex Jr.

Yes JJJUUUNNNIIIOOORRR wins!

5. MillsLayne

MillsLayne #18N19

I don't think so. Junior won, so they wanted to focus on that and they've been on the air for almost 12 hours. They were just dumping out early.

6. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Moderator Moderator

So, Jr locked into Chase. :p

7. Ceafus 88

Ceafus 88 NR2003's Original 03

I am super excited for Junior, all of those guys up front drove hard till the finish, it was definitely one of the best 500's in the past few years, worth it to watch, and congrats to everyone, it was an amazing race to watch! :D

8. KG_24

KG_24 Well-Known Member

First year of new chase format... JUNIOR WINS FIRST RACE AND QUALIFIES FOR CHASE

#C-O-N...SPIRACY

9. B.McKeever

B.McKeever Well-Known Member

Wait, Danica Patrick didn't win?

Damn. I must be a hater.

Go Junior! Great race. Worth the lack of sleep.

10. ThatOneShredder

ThatOneShredder "I can shotgun a White Claw."

Time to speak on Junior winning. It's about time! I told my dad yesterday that it sucks being a Junior fan in February because you're almost guaranteed second. Man, that was incredible. He definitely had the best car there in the last thirty or so laps, it was almost impossible to pass him. It's even better for Steve, since that was his last chance to win the 500 as a crew chief. Wow. The adrenaline hasn't fully worn off yet. What a day, and night. It was totally worth the wait!

Now if only he can repeat his 2004 championship bid.

1 person likes this.
  11. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 Lt. Commish - SRD Pick' Em Series

What a race. From the drop of the green after the 6+ hour rain delay, I can proudly say that I witnessed some of the best superspeedway racing in a Sprint Cup race since the short-lived days of the wicker bill and spoiler lip package from Fall 2000 to Fall 2001 tonight. Thrilling 3-wide action, the ability to make bold moves, the leader can cut back and forward in front of multiple lanes of cars to "control" their momentum, with some great side drafting to boot. This new plate package makes for some thrilling action, and for me, Talladega can't come soon enough!

Congrats to Dale Jr on bringing home his 2nd Daytona 500 in 10 years. That car was bad-fast, and he brought back memories of his dominant plate race performances when he was with DEI in the early 2000's at both Daytona and Talladega. Also, props to some of the smaller teams (TBR, Germain, Swan, the #40 team) for doing pretty well for most of the race (especially for Reed in the #36, who up until the last lap was running near the front until he got caught in the wreck and Casey Mears, who dodged disaster all night to bring home his slightly-battered #13 in 10th).

Shame to see the Swan Racing cars get crashed towards the end. Austin ran into Newman and sent his teammate around in front of the back part of the pack. Also, hate it that Terry in his last 500 got crashed out after running in the Top-25 for a good chunk of the race.

12. DBReaver35

DBReaver35 May the 4 be in victory lane

Not a fan of the bs that went on at the front during the race. But grats to JR spent his 1 win early in the year. I am Kidding Harv finishing 13th with a big push by the 1, sad they didn't show the wreck.

Also just got really anoid with a guy on FS1 I swear he said the return of his fathers car?
    I mean really I saw 3 car but I pretty sure beside it being 3 and RCR that was Austin Dillon's car.
    On to Phoenix!(y)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  13. zaw24fan

zaw24fan SRD National Series Director Paint Crew

I can't tell if Gordon should be scored 3rd or 4th.

14. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

He crossed the line 3rd but since the yellow flew a couple hundred yards before the line he was scored 4th. Look closely and JJ is pushing him past Keselowski, the caution was flown before the pass.

15. zaw24fan

I've just been trying to find a good enough replay that shows when the caution came out.

16. bigrolltide1877

bigrolltide1877 Well-Known Member

Awesome race from start to finish. Finally Jr was able to win another plate race and it was the Daytona 500. (y) I hope he drives like this all year.

17. Lap_Down

Lap_Down Well-Known Member

Woohoo! Finally the 88 didn't wait until the last lap to make a move only to come up 2nd. Dale Jr. can just race loose and have fun the rest of the season now... the pressure is off until the Chase starts IMO.

And yah, I was one of those that woke up late and turned on the race and thought the replay was live (lol)... I was happy the 24 was up front... then when I heard them call the 29 as Harvick... I realized what was going on. XD

What a great race though (after the delay)... everybody was making big moves to try and get to the front... reminded me of the 2005 500. The 24 made a great move to get to 3rd... Gordon went high then I think it was Harvick who tried to block him, then the 24 dove back to the bottom. That final restart was intense... I knew the 24 couldn't pass the 88 car though... Junior just had a beast of a car. I was just hoping they would finish 1, 2... I've been waiting for a 1, 2 finish for the 24 & 88/8 at Daytona since I first starting watching Nascar.

Totally felt like old times when the 8 was unbeatable at Talladega... once Junior got out front no one could really pass him, not by themselves anyway and luckily all the teammates got separated at the end except the 24 & 88.

18. zaw24fan

I think you'll see Gordon and Jr become pretty regular drafting partners from now on. Unlike his old partner, Johnson, Gordon chose to act like a teammate and push Jr to the win instead of complaining the car was overheating because he had to push Jr. It was great to see that Gordon was totally fine with helping Jr to the win, and I think Jr is classy enough to provide Gordon the help (not necessarily for the win) whenever he needs it.

1 person likes this.
  19. RP Motorsports

RP Motorsports Well-Known Member

Wow. What a race. That 88 put it on them tonight. I never thought anyone couldve held onto the lead at the end like that. The way he drove the last 30 or so laps - shades of 2004. He really went after it. (Maybe Kyle Busch should mock Jr. a little more every race weekend - get that fire burning! ;) )

And aside from the outcome, that was one of the best plate races I've seen in quite some time. I think NASCAR did a great job dialing in the package this year with the extra bit of spoiler, rear bumper, and rear spring (I'm sure nobody will give them credit since most people only like to bitch about how everything they do is wrong, but they deserve a ton of credit for tonight). Granted, I do think the cooler track temp at night helped matters, but still, that package is it. NASCAR should really try to figure out how to duplicate that package for Nationwide.

What a night. Cant wait to get to Phoenix already. Although, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of the Daytona 500 champion media tour this week. (y)

20. celticfang

celticfang Waffle addict

Remembered why I don't do Pick 'ems any more. Went to sleep just as they came out of the rain delay figuring JGR had it won and it'd rain again and be official.

Yep what'd I know? Jr pulls it out. Congrats to him, now if he could win more often and mae a run at a title it'd be good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.