5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

2015 Formula 1 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren Ingram

Reaction score
If the McLarens can consistently finish in the 5th-8th position (key word, consistently), I could see them getting up to as high as 5th in the Constructor's and Alonso and Button maybe in the 9th/10th/11th range in the Driver's championship.

The fact they can complete races now is a huge accomplishment though. In pre-season testing it seemed like they couldn't even get out of the garage.

Of course, they were helped yesterday by the issues Ferrari, Force India, and Mercedes had and the really bad pace of the Williams.

I could see them beating Sauber and Force India and Toro Rosso on a weekly basis if they can be reliable.

neiana

Banned
Reaction score
I could see them beating Sauber and Force India and Toro Rosso on a weekly basis if they can be reliable.
There have been multiple statements from pretty much everyone who works at, ever worked at or ever will work at McLaren, including pets, spouses, children, parents and mistresses, that the McLaren engine map is turned down significantly for the purpose of completing the race while they work out the bugs. This means, as you say, once they can be reliable, they turn up the engine map, find new problems, cycle continues. Will they be a true threat this year? I highly doubt it -- but I don't think it will be a surprise or "a great result" by only finishing ahead of Sauber, Force India and Toro Rosso.

Darren Ingram

Reaction score
There have been multiple statements from pretty much everyone who works at, ever worked at or ever will work at McLaren, including pets, spouses, children, parents and mistresses, that the McLaren engine map is turned down significantly for the purpose of completing the race while they work out the bugs. This means, as you say, once they can be reliable, they turn up the engine map, find new problems, cycle continues. Will they be a true threat this year? I highly doubt it -- but I don't think it will be a surprise or "a great result" by only finishing ahead of Sauber, Force India and Toro Rosso.
Yes, I'm well aware of that. That's old news that they've been turning down power for reliability purposes. No one really expected them to be a threat this year, honestly. Maybe people wished, but I don't know anyone who really thought they would be a threat this year.

My post was pointing out that they could finish ahead of at least some of the midfield if they could be reliable (and avoid wrecks/bad luck obviously). Before Silverstone and Hungary, Alonso retired in 4 straight races. McLaren has had 10 DNS/DNF's this year, and only 4 points finishes. I was really just pointing out they have the potential to salvage decent standings positions if they can keep with this positive trend they've had lately.

GurtonBuster

I'm in the business of misery
Reaction score
I want Bottas to get a ride at Ferrari, but I'm ok with another season of Kimi.

GurtonBuster

I'm in the business of misery
Reaction score
I hope so! This season has been pretty awesome considering it's Seb's first season with the team. We just need some better runs out of Kimi now.

GordonFanatic24

Hunting for an online league
Banned
Reaction score
I hope so! This season has been pretty awesome considering it's Seb's first season with the team. We just need some better runs out of Kimi now.
Yea I badly want Seb to ruin Mercedes parade and I'm dying to see Kimi get a good run, and most of these wasn't his fault, Hungary was just bad luck, austria was just total bullshit, and qualifying yesterday was just a motor who decided to quit

I know Seb is contending for a drivers title, but Ferrari really needs to step back and figure out the issues with the Raikkonen camp, especially knowing that Monza is next for those guys and a DNF or somtn' would be humiliating and a dissapointment

ayrwolf

Where ever your're at, there you are
Reaction score
NBC needs to adjust the audio mix on their coverage. You can't hear the commentary over the "roar" of the engines

Jericohol89

Gettin' Jiggy Wit It
Reaction score
I hadn't watched a Formula 1 race this year outside of Monaco, so I figured I'd wake up early and watch Monza.
I was sleeping like an infant by halfway.
EDIT: Nice to know Lewis and Mercedes cheated. This is why I can't stand F1 anymore.

dalejr88rox

Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread
Banned
Reaction score
Somehow this season is even more boring than last year. At least last year Hamilton and Rosberg were pretty even and they had a lot of mechanical issues. This year Lewis is miles ahead of Nico and the cars are almost bulletproof

lays

Reaction score
The last, what, 7 years? Has been extremely boring in F1.

ShadowKnight508

Lt. Commish - SRD Pick' Em Series
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. It's been quite some time since F1 was exciting to watch (been losing interest over the past three years due to how boring the racing seems to be nowadays), and seeing Mercedes (mostly Lewis Hamilton) dominate the competition at every track and run off with nearly all of the wins in a season is getting pretty old fast. Just wished that the Williams or Ferrari teams had better overall performance so they could be right up there with Mercedes and make things much more interesting each and every week, not just on rare occasions when Mercedes stumbles.

dalejr88rox

Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread
Banned
Reaction score
2010 and 2012 were really good in terms of championship battles, plus 2012 produced 2 first time winners and 7 winners in the first 7 races

ayrwolf

Where ever your're at, there you are
Reaction score
I don't consider Eddie Jordan as a reputable source

Status
Not open for further replies.