5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

2015 IndyCar Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Smith

Reaction score
I guess you didn't read any of my comments. I don't mind sourcing all of my material and I merely echo the concerns of people who have paid millions to test out your simple "oh just do a canopy" comment, but I think that'd be a little silly since the problems are rather obvious. If you don't want to accept that there are problems and there are ways around them then fine. I bothered to use my brain and do some research. "Hey! CANOPY!" is not using someone's brain nor does it come from research. "Hey! CANOPY! Here are the problems and here are solutions other have come up with!" is.

So you said "Hey! CANOPY!" with an anecdote about hydroplanes. Guess what? You left out the important part of canopies being a safety concern AND you left out the important part about how hydroplanes successfully worked around those concerns. I called you out and you're not happy. Get over it. I did your research for you. I even linked you to an article about why canopies in hydroplanes work -- something you said but you didn't provide any basis for other than "it works."
You really are narcissistic. You said earlier how people aren't trying to "fix" the issue and rather "argue and defend their side"..isn't that required in order to provide a fix to something that has various ideas? Moreover, having a canopy would STILL pose a risk -- no matter what you do to an automobile, you're still going to have dangers involved, whether they be new or old, less or more common. It would provide a remedy to many of the safety concerns that people have talked about.

Rather than a canopy..how about set minimum DF settings that maintan a safe level of DF on ovals (would differ from track to track).

S. Yogurt

Reaction score
Just a quick edit of what I think could work. Rollbars along the side of the windshield, lower the side sills to give the driver an alternate way out without being enclosed in a canopy that could fail. Just a simple fix. Doesn't look all that bad either.

Attachments

ayrwolf

Where ever your're at, there you are
Reaction score
Just a quick edit of what I think could work. Rollbars along the side of the windshield, lower the side sills to give the driver an alternate way out without being enclosed in a canopy that could fail. Just a simple fix. Doesn't look all that bad either.
Is this fixed permanently? I think that even with the lower side sills it would be difficult for a driver to exit. Most drivers have a muscular upper body, coupling with the bulk of a driver's suit the opening would have to be pretty big. I still think a full canopy with a latching system that would allow it to open front or rear with a support that runs across the canopy for strength. It would be nice if an escape hatch in the top could be incorporated. Again not an engineer so I don't know if it is even possible. Good thoughts Yogurt!

dalejr88rox

Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread
Banned
Reaction score
Just like what ayrwolf said, that looks promising, but I think it needs to unlatch as it doesn't look like the driver's helmet would fit through that

S. Yogurt

Reaction score
Just like what ayrwolf said, that looks promising, but I think it needs to unlatch as it doesn't look like the driver's helmet would fit through that
It would unlatch at the rearmost portion, thus making sure if the latches were damaged it wouldn't rip off exposing the driver. The sills could be lowered more to allow the driver an alternate exit, or just enough to give access to the driver. I think this solves most of the problems of having a closed canopy, as well as not having one. Best of both worlds. To climb in, it would open hinged forward like the hood of a Corvette. To get out, unlatch at the top or climb out the side, if there was some other engineering around the shoulder of the cockpit. Just a quick edit. I don't even think this was an idea F1/Indycar looked at and I was surprised.

dalejr88rox

Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread
Banned
Reaction score
It would unlatch at the rearmost portion, thus making sure if the latches were damaged it wouldn't rip off exposing the driver. The sills could be lowered more to allow the driver an alternate exit, or just enough to give access to the driver. I think this solves most of the problems of having a closed canopy, as well as not having one. Best of both worlds. To climb in, it would open hinged forward like the hood of a Corvette. To get out, unlatch at the top or climb out the side, if there was some other engineering around the shoulder of the cockpit. Just a quick edit. I don't even think this was an idea F1/Indycar looked at and I was surprised.
I think you might be on to something. That makes a lot of sense

evan07

Reaction score
I think they need to let the drivers decide on this. If they want something get them some protection, but if they don't let them stay like they are. After all they drive the cars and know the risk.

MillsLayne

2x Champ, guys.
Reaction score
^Yeah, but it's kind of like when NASCAR mandated full face helmets and HANS devices, I'd suspect Indycar/F1 would do the same.

Harry Nurpplez

Making a comeback!
Reaction score
Damn, it still doesn't feel real. Though really does it ever? Eventually, things HAVE to change. Having exposed drivers and open wheels have always been an issue and not just Indy or F1. Sprintcars have it the worse I feel. They are always, always, always flipping from wheel to wheel contact. Protect the drivers, protect the wheels. One way or another its gotta happen.

Final practice is about to start.

FloridaFan88

Reaction score
Not a fan of double points for the season finale. Indycar should've implemented double points for the 500-mile races, like last year.

KyleBuschFan18

2x Cup Series Champion
Reaction score
For this being my first year following IndyCar, that was a fun season, can't wait for next year.

MillsLayne

2x Champ, guys.
Reaction score
Same here. I was at the race watching real time points on my phone and it was so nerve wracking. Funny thing is, when JPM got around Bourdais, I thought he had it until I realized the most laps led bonus point to Dixon would tie them.

Jack Smith

Reaction score
What you did all year doesn't matter when it comes down to the last race be double points. As much as I dislike Montoya, I agree with him on the fact that the double points is outrageous and understandably outright stupid.

SUPEREEVEEMASTER

Reaction score
I don't know if this is true but some have said that double points or not wouldn't had made a difference because the Indy 500 was also double points with Montoya winning and Dixon finished fourth but Scott got extra bonus points for leading the most laps just like he did yesterday.

Jack Smith

Reaction score
I don't know if this is true but some have said that double points or not wouldn't had made a difference because the Indy 500 was also double points with Montoya winning and Dixon finished fourth but Scott got extra bonus points for leading the most laps just like he did yesterday.
Without double points for either Sonoma or Indy, JPM wins the title by 4 points. Those 4 points Dixon gained comes from the fact that he finished 4th at Indy and Montoya finished 6th at Sonoma. Under normal points, that's a 4 point gap between the position differences. Double that and you get 8 points, which eats into the 4 point lead Montoya would have had, and leaves it tied.

Regardless, Dixon wouldn't be champ if Indycar penalized Ganassi for the blatant fixing with Karam after Mid-Ohio.

Darren Ingram

Reaction score
As I said on Reddit, I can understand double points for the Indy 500... It's the dang Indy 500! But, finale or not, Sonoma doesn't need double points.

I don't think any race does really.

Status
Not open for further replies.