Updated

2017 Food City 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway Race Weekend Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elio Lugaru

NASCAR Furry
SRD Member
Reaction score
It's noon and the track has lights. They've ran races past 3 AM before. They didn't even try.
Even so, I wouldn't wait that many hours to dry the track. I know the Coke Zero 400 has started real late in 2005 & 2015, But i honestly still wish they had postponed the 2015 race.

Dodgeman4345

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with having the 24 Hours at Bristol? Lol. I am disappointed that they won't be racing today because well I am off. Except for the 4 hours overtime I put in this morning. I have to work tomorrow so I won't be able to see the race live. Thank you to DVR and internet access at work. Lol.

Brandon Miller

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I live in TN, and it has done nothing but rain since late Thursday evening. Everything is flooding. Even areas that don't normally flood are flooding. Nascar is at a lose lose right now. They made the call early (as I would have done), and fans are bitching and complaining (as evidence by this thread). They try and wait it out all day with fans wondering when the race will happen and eventually have to call it, and fans will bitch and complain. Nascar made the right call. With weather going on in TN right now, they aren't racing today...period.

ShadowKnight508

Lt. Commish - SRD Pick' Em Series
Staff member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Well, this sucks since I will be at work when the race is on. Now I have to look forward to avoiding spoilers all day (another co-worker is a NASCAR fan, so I'll have to ask him not to ruin the results for me) until I get home and watch the race on the DVR.

Elio Lugaru

NASCAR Furry
SRD Member
Reaction score
I live in TN, and it has done nothing but rain since late Thursday evening. Everything is flooding. Even areas that don't normally flood are flooding. Nascar is at a lose lose right now. They made the call early (as I would have done), and fans are bitching and complaining (as evidence by this thread). They try and wait it out all day with fans wondering when the race will happen and eventually have to call it, and fans will bitch and complain. Nascar made the right call. With weather going on in TN right now, they aren't racing today...period.
It just goes to show, no matter what NASCAR does, People will complain regardless.

ShadowKnight508

Staff member
SRD Member
Reaction score
A Rain Postponement Not What Bristol Motor Speedway Needed (Credit to ESPN):
Everyone could agree on one thing Sunday as far as the surface at Bristol Motor Speedway:

It was wet.

Beyond that, opinions vary on the attempts of Bristol track officials as far as adding a resin with tire rubber ground into it in order to have a solid groove on the bottom. They tried it last summer and it worked pretty well.

The goal: Return Bristol to its glorious history of drivers rattling each other's cages on the bottom lane.

The more likely reality is Bristol will never be Bristol again. And it symbolizes the struggle of the sport as a whole -- trying to grasp a new reality while trying to see what it can do to replicate the glory days of NASCAR's rise from the mid-1990s through the mid-2000s.

Bristol, and the sport, would have benefited from a great race Sunday, but Mother Nature had other plans of any attempt at that thanks to a steady rain and a dire forecast that had NASCAR throwing in the towel early. The race is now scheduled for 1 p.m. ET Monday.

A barometer of the health of the sport, Bristol is in a tough position. It seats 146,000 (including suites) and it fills most of those for its August night race. The spring race doesn't fill up, and without a football game to enhance the season-ticket package this year, that likely would have impacted attendance. While other tracks decrease capacity, in part to make it look better and increase urgency to buy tickets in fear of potential sellouts, Bristol won't do much because its August crowds remain solid.

Those crowds come for the spectacle, and Bristol has tried to recreate its biggest spectacle. Last year, by putting the resin into about half a lane in the lower groove, drivers found the bottom lane to their liking. But drivers such as Kurt Busch spun out after getting tricked up by the transition.

To maybe increase the ability to run at the bottom, Bristol officials appear to have widened the width of what they put down on the lower groove as well as using the machine that grinds tire rubber into the track. Some drivers felt that made it better -- but better to them meant easier to drive.

Others didn't seem enthused.

"I thought that was a good width [in August] because you could get your left sides in it and you really had to be cautious of hitting your marks every corner," said series points leader Kyle Larson, who will be on the pole Monday as the field was set by owner points. "Now it's like you just fire off from the corner and it doesn't really matter where you enter -- as long as your right sides are in the grip, you are going to rip around the corner.

"It just makes it too easy for us [now], and I don't think that is good for racing."

Larson loves the top lane, and he proved in the Xfinity race that if a driver had a setup he liked, the top lane would certainly be the preferred groove. The other aspect was that the traction compound was chewing up tires, and under caution, drivers' tires picked up much of the rubber fragments. It also seemed to lack consistency, thanks likely to intermittent practice and rain.

Another difference: In August, the trucks and modifieds race Wednesday with an Xfinity race Friday, creating much more opportunity to add rubber to the surface and work in grooves by the time of the race Saturday night.

The Xfinity race Saturday at Bristol did feature a bump-and-run as Erik Jones, much faster than Ryan Blaney, used his bumper to move him in what Blaney said was just a racing move as he was trying to hold off Jones. While it appeared to be a little bit of old Bristol, it wasn't true Bristol with drivers angry with each other. The only fight was between two drivers not well known, two drivers known to be friendly in Jeremy Clements and Ross Chastain.

That quick fight wasn't even captured on video to at least enhance the track's rough-and-tumble image.

When will the luck change? Maybe it is just easy to get depressed in the rainy weather. It sucks for fans who empty their wallets for what they had hoped would be an electric weekend.

The race Monday -- hopefully, the forecast of the rain clearing out by the afternoon is accurate -- probably won't have an impressive crowd with it being postponed a day and a forecast in the previous several days that rain was coming. A forecast that predicts rain a week out has a huge impact these days as fans make ticket-purchasing decisions much closer to race day than they did during those glory days.

When NASCAR returns to Bristol in August, Monster Energy hopes to have MMA fights at its display outside the track. One of the fighters likely will leave battered and bruised.

But the fighter will end up back in the ring, with resolve and improving technique determining whether the fighter gets knocked out again. Much like NASCAR these days, the hits seem to keep coming. But just like a fighter who has to decide maybe to work on agility or strength or anticipating the opponent's next punch, NASCAR has worked to improve with stages and a new aero package.

The aero package doesn't have much impact at a track such as Bristol, but the stages could. NASCAR hopes to have three races in one Monday, a race to Lap 125, a race to Lap 250, and the final race to the finish. That's more opportunities for a bump-and-run (a la Ricky Stenhouse Jr. on Kyle Busch at the end of the second stage at Martinsville a couple of weeks ago), ruffled nerves and SportsCenter highlights.

At some point, the sun will rise over Bristol. The sport could use some sunshine sooner rather than later.
SOURCE: http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/19226788/nascar-bristol-needed-good-race-got-rain
i.jpg

Thunder98

"Esteemed" Gen-Y Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
If only I didn't need to go to class tomorrow.. I have to leave around 1:45 and won't get home until 4:30. Here's hoping for more rain! LOL

Brandon Miller

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
For those who don't think the race should've been postponed, go look at Tri-Cities Weather and Alert Crew FB page. There is a river running around the speedway and through the parking lots. There is water everywhere at Bristol.

MattSRD28

SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner
Staff member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Postponent to Monday means there's still time to submit your picks for Pick'em! Just look for the Bristol thread stickied to the top of this forum.

Everybody's welcome to play, including those who have never played before. We love having people win their first time playing! Make Monday more exciting and give it a shot!

nj9703

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Highly doubt this race happens today. Huge system moving to the northwest from the coast that'll be practically stagnant until tomorrow evening.

Mystical

Always 110%
SRD Member
Reaction score
Highly doubt this race happens today. Huge system moving to the northwest from the coast that'll be practically stagnant until tomorrow evening.
Bummer, I was looking forward to a Monday night race after work (night as in when I would be watching it).

ShadowKnight508

Staff member
SRD Member
Reaction score
18118683_10154294917611020_3033052615865660546_n.jpg

Updated Weather Forecast (Credit to The Weather Channel):
WX.png

labontefanboy

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Think we'll get the race in today, possible that we'll have a delay or two but there's definitely a solid window early afternoon.

It was dry enough this morning for the track to re-apply the VHT to the bottom groove, so that's a good sign.

Cutch22

That Pittsburgh Fan
SRD Member
Reaction score
I, for one, am enjoying having unlimited data to stream this race from work.

Status
Not open for further replies.