1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

2018 Bank of America Roval 400 at Charlotte Motor Speedway - Roval Race Weekend Discussion

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by ShadowKnight508, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dodgeman4345

Dodgeman4345 Well-Known Member

Jeff, You should have really watched the race instead of the game. Lol. You missed more with the race. Lol.

starscream24 likes this.
  2. JeffJordan

JeffJordan Yes, my name is actually Jeff Jordan

I figured lol. I bought tickets to the game when the schedule came out. Didn't think about the roval.

3. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

I think overall this race was a huge success. I cannot believe I see so many people complaining about it, given the fact that it was the race we had today over another Charlotte oval snoozer we usually get in the fall.

The one thing I think they should have done is ran it on Saturday night among other things, but I figure the lighting would be a huge hurdle. The layout is fine and I;m not sure why people think it needs any changing. It's some of the rules that need tweaking such as the come to a complete stop rule. In some cases seemed a bit harsh.

nascarfan9, wslates and starscream24 like this.
  4. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Video editor, Meme Police, and certified B.A.M.F.

5. ahspencer01

ahspencer01 yikes

6. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong #Pray4theSouth

What an absolutely awesome race yesterday! I'm a big fan of Blaney, but since Kyle Busch had already been taken out, nothing would have made me happier than to see Jimmie Johnson win that race. But man, he sure knows how to create a great finish! I hate that he didn't get in the next round, but at the same time, I love that he didn't just want to ride around and finish second just so he could make it into the next round. He ran a great race - had one of the best cars all weekend. Heck, I even picked him to win in my Pick 'Em! lol But anyway, I think that the Roval makes a great track for an elimination race and I hope to see more racing like that, not only at the Roval next year, but throughout the rest of these playoffs.

7. KahneRacing945

KahneRacing945 3-Time USORL Rally Winner

The race was incredible, the finish was incredible, and my #2 about to be #1 driver wins. Frick yeah. As said previously, hopefully this doesn't turn into a "make every track a roval" phase, while Charlotte was incredible, it is unique. But can we get the Roval in trucks now Ben?

8. Dodgeman4345

Well that makes it worse. That you had to witness that in person. Lol.

So can we officially say that Kyle Busch has not won on every track on the schedule? Lol.

9. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 Lt. Commish - SRD Pick-Em Series

10. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

I think the layout was ok but I would definitely make a few changes:

-Rethink the wall entering turn 1. I'm not even sure it would be viable considering the other side of the wall is an exit of a different turn, but I can't help but notice that normal road coarse tracks have a lot of space to slow down at least before hitting a wall at that sharp a turn. Maybe just rethink the shape and not make it so narrow.

-Move those signs with the sand bags. The signs are advertising, so I know they won't go away, but rethink it a little bit. Don't put them right next to the track where they are going to get run into. Or, make them a little less damaging when they do get run into.

I figured the race would either be a crash fest or train line. It was kind of a crash fest but is was exciting!

11. Dodgeman4345

Ryan Blaney just posted on his Facebook page. The kid that he handed the checkered flag to yesterday. He met him in the shop today. The Dad is a smart man as he finally got his son a proper shirt. Lol.

12. BrendonH12

Look how close eventual winner, Ryan Blaney, was to getting in this wreck! :oops:

Also, Chris Buescher should totally pick up some sponsorship from Echo Park. lol

13. ShadowKnight508

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    starscream24 likes this.
  14. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

Okay so Roval. First off, as a Jimmie fan, that last corner was heartbreaking. But the guy I'm going to gravitate to when Jimmie retires won, so that kinda eased the pain of him advancing to the next round I guess.

What really sucks: I was sitting right there in turn 17, front row seat, and in cheering Jimmie on the last three laps, I forgot to record the last lap as I typically do, and missed the exact moment I had been expecting to happen all damn week (albeit not the drivers involved). I'm more pissed about that than Jimmie not advancing!! :D (lets face it, I wasn't expecting him to advance anyway with the way this season has been).

AS for the race. I'll definitely consider returning, and Sonoma and the Glen are on the bucket list. Having never been to a roval/road course, I'd always felt like they were pretty good for TV, but it wouldn't be that great from the stands. I was wrong. I felt like my head was on swivel not wanting to miss a moment of contact through 17 all race, and for me at least, there was this general feeling of "what's gonna happen next" excitement I typically have only experienced at Daytona.

And the whole "driver must stop" thing after blowing the chicanes, to me, was kinda silly when it came to drivers spinning out. I get it, and think it's the right call when a driver doesn't make the corner, much like the 15, and a few others did when the brakes didn't help them out. But even when Keselowski and Truex got together, I felt like the spins were enough of a penalty. To me the stopping is kinda redundant, like the lug nut rules used to be.

If I had one gripe about being at the track specifically, it would be their choice not to play the PRN broadcast (and I've never been to Charlotte, so IDK if this is typical or not), and instead they had (I think) Ken Squire and (I think) someone else do the commentary the whole race. What sucked about that is they barely played anything regarding pit strategy during the fuel mileage run at the end, not a single driver interview after wrecks, so without a scanner you were pretty in the dark (I'd say moreso than normal). I will say they did made the pace laps before the start the most exciting ever, while calling that. Thankfully, I figured out a way to get the PRN broadcast going on my fanvision after a few laps, but until then it was more of an annoyance than anything.

All in all, it was a great race day, and maybe next time, I can afford more than one day so I can tour a few shops and the Hall of Fame.

BrendonH12 likes this.
  15. TColeman12

TColeman12 #BMR19Team

I didn’t want to correct you haha, but she’s the first female to win a K&N Series race in NASCAR history, not the first woman to win in NASCAR history.

I’ve personally been following her career for two and a half years now (her driver coach/spotter is actually a family friend so that’s a cool connection) and I saw the win coming since she first signed that BMR ride. It’s great to see, I think she’s gonna be great when she gets to Trucks, then Xfinity, and Cup, I just wish people would’ve realized her driving talents like I did years back lol.

16. BrendonH12

That's fine... Yeah, I got a little excited, as I too have been following her for a while, when I saw that she won and didn't do any research. lol I honestly thought she was the first female to win!

TColeman12 likes this.
  17. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

Having been to Sonoma, it isn't that great from the stands. You can basically see your little corner of the track and not a whole lot else. Having the roval contained within a track where you can see most of the oval from the stands anyway makes it a lot nicer.

nascarfan9 likes this.
  18. Bradfan4ever

Bradfan4ever Keselowski2Wallace

Aparently all the "2" cars wanted to fight over some Tums. where you at @nascarfan9

19. ShadowKnight508

The Pick' Em results will be up in the next three hours or so (give or take). Wrapping up some other stuff that I have to do first before I can turn my full attention to it.

nascarfan9 likes this.
  20. ShadowKnight508

Just a heads up. The race weekend thread for the Monster Mile will go up tomorrow (by 9PM PST, midnight Thursday EST). I spent so much time on the results post for Charlotte along with getting the Dover Pick' Em thread up that I ran out of time to get the Dover Race weekend thread up.

Thank you for your patience, everybody!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.