1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

2018 Election

Discussion in 'Politics/Religion' started by Darren Ingram, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Moderator Moderator

Well, it's getting to be that time! As much as politics may annoy some people, I personally love politics and talking about it, and we do have an election coming here soon. Even though it's not as exciting as the one that will be happening in 2020, this election does have some pretty high stakes.

35 Seats in the Senate are up for grabs, and there are some pretty interesting ones. One of the most interesting, or maybe the most interesting (maybe I'm biased), is the Texas race. In a race you would probably assume would go to the Republican, especially the incumbent, Representative Beto O'Rourke has made this a true tossup.

If you aren't registered to vote, you should be, and you're running out of time. You can find the info you need to register here.

So there's my spiel, any of you guys in any states with tight races?

2. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Nope.
    Tim Scott and Lindsey Graham (especially the latter with his new fiery disposition lately) have things well in hand for the immediate future.
    Beto I think is closer than most GOP member would like, but I don't necessarily think he will have enough to turn that Senate seat 'blue'.
    With Kavanaugh situated to be confirmed tomorrow-ish, and the general backlash we are seeing from play made in the Committee, it's (at best) a dead heat for control of both Congressional houses, and whoever DOES assume/retain control, the margin will be razor thin, which will make the following 2 years very contentious.

nj9703 likes this.
  3. Darren Ingram

You know, the logical part of me is inclined to agree with you, but down here, Beto is getting support like Trump did. Around where I live, the same support that Trump got, people being excited, buying merchandise, etc. is the same support that Beto is getting. There's just a buzz around him. People are genuinely excited about him, and I haven't seen this much buzz in my (admittedly short) life so far. The fact that so many people have actually interacted with him and have actually talked to him I think is really helping him. I think the election could go either way, but even if he doesn't win the seat, I think it shows that Texas can in fact go blue, and that the GOP, or the Democrats for that matter, maybe shouldn't just assume that some of their races are no contest going to them. Hell, a Democrat did win in Alabama...

4. BAMA92

BAMA92 Well-Known Member

That is by far one of the worst mistakes made in Alabama. Sending that sorry ass Democrat Doug Jones to the Senate.

5. Darren Ingram

As opposed to the guy who doesn't support LGBT people, called Islam a false religion, wants to get rid of the 14th Amendment, among many many other things? Gimme a break. Extremism is bad on the right and left, and Roy Moore is definitely an extremist.

I didn't even talk about the sexual assault cases....

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    NascarMan32, Spike, wslates and 11 others like this.
  6. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

A-FUCKING-MEN

Edit just so this post has some other meaning then “I agree”;
    As someone who has a lot of LGBT friends and has questioned things themselves, LGBT support is my tip-top priority other than all of the obvious things like wanting to maintain freedom, keeping democracy, being qualified, etc.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    NascarMan32 and Darren Ingram like this.
  7. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

As for sexual assault claims, as this is THE hot topic in the past couple years....
    I don't believe, not for a second, that someone would wait 25+ years to make a claim, right around the time someone is going for political office.

We really need to get back to 'innocent until proven guilty', although moving outside those claims, I'll agree that Roy Moore was a REALLY bad choice, about as bad for the state as Corey Booker is for my birth state of NJ.

Regardless of how it all goes, I am becoming increasingly alarmed at the vitriol and the tactics I am seeing by certain groups. This is what you get when you whip your respective groups into a frenzy, fill their head with this 'resist' nonsense like they are freedom fighters in WWII Germany. Can we behave like adults? What happened to decorum and common decency?

It's almost like watching a deranged rivalry between fan of the Yankees and the Red Sox.

Tetronix and MrDude68 like this.
  8. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong Moderator

My thoughts exactly through out this Kavanaugh thing... I'm not saying something didn't happen to her, but I do not believe that Judge Kavanaugh was involved whatsoever. I mean, if this was not just a scheme by the Democrats, why didn't she send in her letter to the Republicans? There are women on that side that would've taken better care of her letter, and this whole thing wouldn't have come into the public!

9. Darren Ingram

I used to think this way. What's the point of waiting so long to talk about something that allegedly happened forever ago?
    But it's hard to speak out about it. Talk to survivors or read their stories. Maybe no one would believe them, maybe their life was threatened, etc. When one person speaks out, it's easier for others to come forward with their experiences.

theusar, ahspencer01 and EarnhardtFan like this.
  10. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Well I'll say this about the Kavanaugh allegations... I don't believe Ford for a second.

Am I really expected to believe the story of a woman coming out at the 11th hour to make claims against a man with a spotless record, over something that supposedly happened 36 years ago, with absolutely zero corroborating evidence or witnesses? And allegedly this incident had a huge emotional impact on her, as one would expect, yet she can't recall important details about that night... How convenient! So Kavanaugh has a perfectly clean record, except for, you know, that one time he sexually assaulted a woman. I find that to be a stretch. And the last-minute timing of this is just too perfect... I'm not going to play the fool.

There's not a shred of evidence to substantiate any of Ford's claims, so there's no reason to believe her aside from "she sounds believable," and "people don't make this shit up." And by the way I have something to say about that too: THEY DO. I swear people are looking at this with their eyes sewn shut.

11. burtonbraves

burtonbraves Fictional Extraordinaire

Based on what we've seen recently, no. The Republicans would not have taken better care of her. None of them believe her so you really think her best option to be heard was to bring her story to people who already aren't going to believe her?

I don't know the facts, no one here does. But I've read in the past that false sexual assault allegations happen 5% of the time. It may be "poorly timed" for some of you but with his name in the spotlight, and going up for one of the highest positions in the nation, isn't it possible that would cause someone to speak up if that person did something vile? Things like this aren't easy to talk about, but fortunately with the movements as of late it's getting a little easier to speak up if something happened. I think the possibility of anyone even batting an eye if she said this 25 years ago is way less than if she said something now.

12. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

I do agree with you here.
    But the fact is that they do happen. Remember the Duke lacrosse case? It's a perfect story to smear someone with, because there are so many people out there who will just believe it without looking for the truth. Sexual assault is a terribly painful thing for people to have to endure, and I dont want to trivialize that at all. But even in these cases, the burden of proof needs to fall on the accuser. The most egregious miscarriage of justice is to destroy the life of an innocent person.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  13. burtonbraves

burtonbraves Fictional Extraordinaire

I don't totally disagree, but I think a bigger miscarriage of justice would be to allow a potential criminal to get away with a crime and get a promotion out of it.

Those are really all my thoughts on it.

And my only thoughts on the election right now are this. Term. Limits. Are. A. Must.

And both parties need to put their egos to the side and start actually working together to make things better instead of turning everything into a pissing contest.

nascarfan9 and theusar like this.
  14. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

I agree with everything here, I'd just rather not run the risk, personally.

Personally I'm surprised more people aren't questioning why he supposedly has a 35 year old calender. Is it a weird coincidence? Did he think he may possibly need it for some reason? That whole thing just raises a red flag for me.

15. starscream24

starscream24 Captain of Unpopular Opinions.

With Kavanaugh being confirmed, I have never been this disgusted to be an American in my life. The mid-terms are gonna be fun this year.

16. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong Moderator

But from what I've heard/read, she didn't want this to be public; she just didn't want Kavanaugh to be confirmed into office and have this whole thing kept private.

Actually, my Mom kept calendars just like he did... So, no, it's not weird - at least to me.

17. Darren Ingram

Nothing shocks me anymore, we've got a President who mocked a disabled journalist.

I hope they are fun, but we need people to actually get out and vote.

18. MillsLayne

MillsLayne #18N19

I'm right there with you, although I'm not at all shocked, sadly.

19. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

So innocent until proven guilty doesn't work in your worlds? I think that's what's more disgusting and shocking. That all it takes is an accusation and you're guilty and possibly your life ruined.

I fucking hate the world we live in today. I really do.

20. MillsLayne

MillsLayne #18N19

I agree, it should be innocent until proven guilty, but think about it this way: if you're up for a job and there's any inkling at all of sexual assault/rape allegations or anything remotely related, your resume is pretty much thrown out, right? He's not going to jail or anything, it was basically a job interview. And, I didn't hear any Republicans yelling about "innocent until proven guilty" when Hillary's emails were a main topic of discussion. It was, "Lock her up! Lock her up!" And I'm not saying you have to be Republican or Democrat, I don't really care. There are other candidates out there that don't have a ton of controversy surrounding them, so move on and pick someone who doesn't have all this bs surrounding them.

dudeman21, theusar, Ryan81398 and 3 others like this.