1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

2018 Election

Discussion in 'Politics/Religion' started by Darren Ingram, Oct 5, 2018.

1. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Only if consent is lacking, i.e. forced; which, as was covered in his statement, there's nothing showing that, or that she was prevented from leaving.

frow78 and J.R.Franklin like this.
  2. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Well-Known Member

If he was just a drunk guy copping a feel, and if she didn't give a clear "yes", then yes, it is sexual assault. Not saying no is not consent.

theusar likes this.
  3. RacerXero84

Just going off the legal definition. Again, comes down to what is known that can be proved. And from the testimonies, it's fairly clear this, at most, was sexual misconduct.

Otherwise it was two drunk people screwing around. Actually quite common.

Tetronix and J.R.Franklin like this.
  4. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

I think what frustrates me the most with this is it was just brushed off by some people as something "Everyone does in high school" which just isn't true, at least in my personal case (and many others).

That aside I registered to vote Monday so yay I guess.

theusar and burtonbraves like this.
  5. J.R.Franklin

J.R.Franklin Well-Known Member

Really?! So a guy and a girl have sex. The next day, she regrets it and decides to file sexual assault charges against the guy. She's asked in court if she told the guy "no" and she responds.. "no, I didn't tell him no or stop." By your claim, the guy is still guilty of sexual assault and should go to jail? Really? God help us!

WARNING!!! Guys, DO NOT have sex anymore due to possible risk of conviction of sexual harassment or assault! :rolleyes:

frow78 and Tetronix like this.
  6. Darren Ingram

Absolutely not what I'm saying, nice slippery slope though.

What I'm saying is, and I guess I could have made this more clear, if you're pressured into not saying no, then that is not consent. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

theusar and EarnhardtFan like this.
  7. burtonbraves

burtonbraves Fictional Extraordinaire

“I was pushed onto the bed and Brett got on top of me. He began running his hands over my body and grinding his hips into me. I yelled, hoping someone downstairs might hear me, and tried to get away from him, but his weight was heavy. Brett groped me and tried to take off my clothes. He had a hard time because he was very inebriated, and because I was wearing a one-piece bathing suit under my clothes. I believed he was going to rape me. I tried to yell for help. When I did, Brett put his hand over my mouth to stop me from screaming,”

Regardless of what is true or not, this allegation absolutely details a sexual assault. Legal definition or not, she describes being assaulted in a sexual manner. Also from her statement, there was no consent there. This allegation is not "two drunk people screwing around".

Again, no one knows the truth, but from what she details, there was absolutely no consent and it's ludicrous that it would even be an argument. Take politics totally out of it and try to imagine the situation, does it really sound acceptable?

8. RacerXero84

That's an impressive story.

Prove it.

She couldn't. She couldn't even keep her story straight and her 'trusted friends' failed to corroborate her story. Thus no formal charge.

I'm ok with the outcome, because that's precisely how our system works. Prove it, corroborate it, or risk a defamation suit. As it should be.

9. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

I think that all went out the door when Donald Trump got nominated then elected. It's unfortunate that him and Hillary was our choices from the two biggest political parties in the nation in 2016. Hopefully 2020 will bring some class back to the Whitehouse no matter if they are a different republican, democrat or a 3rd party candidate that wins when the dust settles.

Tetronix, theusar, Ryan81398 and 3 others like this.
  10. EarnhardtFan

Need I remind everybody about how he mocked that disabled reporter?

Also I agree about having class, if Trump had the class of previous presidents I'd probably dislike him a lot less.

theusar likes this.
  11. RacerXero84

I wouldn't hold your breath on that, no being an ass, just pointing out the likelihood of a person with 'class' being elected into office. None of the front runners right now for the Democrat ticket in 2020 are without a wonderful assortment of character flaws and/or scandals.
    Personally, I would LOVE if Warren ran, or better yet, give me Kamala Harris or that joke that slithered into power in my birth state of NJ, Booker. There is so very much to use there lol

I and many others didn't vote for classiness, we voted for an agenda and to get the job done.

I'm pretty content, and judging by the turnouts in areas that he would need to carry to win a 2nd term, I'm not alone.

Now.... if you want to talk 2024.... give me the former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley. That's an easy winning ticket right there, and a classy woman in her own right, so there ya go ;)

EDIT: as far as my point, it was geared toward the rather pointless, sometimes violent, and disruptive mob mentality that we've been seeing lately. Words are one thing, violence, obstructing traffic, harassment/stalking is something else altogether. Rand Paul is right: someone is going to get killed.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Tetronix, nj9703 and MrDude68 like this.
  12. Darren Ingram

In terms of 2020, I know it won't happen, so I'll likely be voting Democrat, but if the Republicans were to run Kasich, I'd seriously consider voting for him. I wish he would have gotten the 2016 nomination.

EarnhardtFan and Spike like this.
  13. EarnhardtFan

I thought the same thing in 2016, if he would have gotten the nomination I would have probably voted for him. If he runs in '20 it will be a serious toss-up between him or one of the Dem candidates for me.

theusar and Darren Ingram like this.
  14. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

This 100%.

I can look past the fact that Trump sounds like a total joke sometimes. It's all about action.

15. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator, Cup champ.

For guys like me who are in the middle, it sucks. Almost everyone is either way right or way left. They usually say you are either with us or against us. I'm so fed up with two bad choices that I might as well not vote. It would be a wasted vote anyways.

crazyboy335 likes this.
  16. JeffJordan

JeffJordan Yes, my name is actually Jeff Jordan

Well, what did he do?

It's very difficult to separate what Trump says he did from what he actually accomplished in office, given his tendency to outright lie or exaggerate the truth. Since a fair amount of voters get their information directly from Trump, a lot of his supporters take what he says at face value.

Many of the accomplishments he claimed early on lacked the context necessary to have real situational meaning. One of the things he said within his first 200 days was how large the budget surplus was in April. This looks like an accomplishment on the outside, but A: He wasn't in office for very long at that point and B: With inflation, basically every April sets a budget surplus record or near-high because that's when most people file their taxes.

Another big thing he claims is unemployment. The unemployment percentage has been on a steady decline for about six and a half years (https://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputServlet?request_action=wh&graph_name=LN_cpsbref3), and it is difficult for him to claim any responsibility with bills or policies. That decline started before Obama was elected to a second term. I'm not even sure why Trump touts this number since he questioned unemployment on the campaign trail: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/09/28/trump_unemployment_rate_as_high_as_40.html.

17. RacerXero84

Right off the top of my head, what he's done that has helped ME (which is how a lot of voters think, they base their opinions on relation to them), was he lit a fire under the VA's ass. It's still far from perfect, but it's a helluva lot better than it used to be. I can actually get reasonable appointment timelines, and I have the option of going to another clinic that is out of state but geographically closer to me. That alone is a massive deal for me, something the Democrats always overlook or outright ignore (not to mention the pay went to crap after Obama took office while I was in, our raises were an absolute joke, which hit us worse still because of the economic collapse).
    Which brings me to the next point: quality of life. The changes to the tax system allowed my family to have an extra ~$150/per month, and our returns are likely going to look quite nice come springtime. For the quintessential middle class family of four (nuclear family if you will) looking to climb out of debt after living in a Democrat shithole that was Maine for so long, this is invaluable. It allows us to 1: pay things down faster and 2: slightly improve quality of life. I can afford to take my kids out to this place or that now, or get them an occasional toy when their grades are good.

Maybe not SOLELY Trump successes (thanks GOP and the very few Dems that helped), but they WERE part of his campaign promises. I don't think or believe even for one second that would have happened under any Democratic candidate. On the contrary, my healthcare costs (which have gone down a fair amount as well) would have continued to skyrocket beyond the point of being remotely affordable, thereby potentially putting my family in a situation where living 'off the system' was more expedient than trying to work 4 jobs (2 each for me and the wife) just to afford a basic level of living. That's not living. To me, that's tantamount to indentured servitude. Whole bunch of 'no thanks'.

We were on the system for a few years, trying to get our footing, and, to be completely honest, on the path we were on previously, there was ZERO chance of that happening. We would never have gotten out of Maine, would have continued to sink slowly in a state where housing for a POS apartment at barely 800 sq/ft with faulty electric, heat that occasionally didn't work, no AC (on the third floor), would run you nearly $1200 per month on the OUTSKIRTS of civilization. Gas at over $3 a gallon, school systems that I wouldn't send my kids to as a punishment.... you get the picture. Bad juju.

So yeah, what might be seen as 'crumbs' to some made a WORLD of difference to us. And that is just off the top of my head.

MrDude68, nj9703 and Tetronix like this.
  18. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Do I Wanna Know?

You couldn't be any more right. When I turn 18 I don't even plan on registering to vote. Either side exists solely to make the other side angry. It's not politics, it's a sport. No matter who wins the election, the future my generation will inherit will wind up being a cesspool of corruption, war, and environmental disaster.

Tetronix and canadienhits like this.
  19. JeffJordan

JeffJordan Yes, my name is actually Jeff Jordan

First of all - I'm glad things have gotten easier for you lately. I'm not sure what specifically you're referring to when it comes to the VA, but I'm assuming it has to do with the VA MISSION Act that Trump signed in June. The VA MISSION Act has done a lot...but you can't attribute it entirely to Republicans. Besides MISSION being a bipartisan bill, the White House was openly working against it's passing and said that the money should come by making cuts elsewhere: https://www.apnews.com/85eb667a62b44755ad34ee8c0f831c7a. Besides that, cuts will probably be made into the program eventually, as is the conservative modus operandi when it comes to big bills. Don't get me wrong, I fully supported this act.

Second off, tax cuts are not always as good as they are cracked up to be. Individual tax cuts usually come at the expense of programs that you end up paying for anyway. This isn't true in all cases, but most of Trump's tax cuts are for the wealthy and corporations anyway. That extra $150 a month might be going to healthcare or social security.

Lastly, in reference to the bolded part: Well, yeah. But misinformation is so rampant nowadays that a fair amount of opinions are based on falsehoods. I really try my best to stay informed (get information from a variety of sources, mostly AP News, RealClearPolitics, Politifact, Official .org websites) but even that might not be enough. Staying informed requires a concerted effort, and a lot of people just get their information from misleading Facebook memes or television news. Television news, in particular, is very imbalanced in both directions.

I'll be honest, I have no idea how policies favoring corporations and the wealthy have helped you at all if you're within the tax bracket I think you are. I used to work three jobs, and now I'm down to two jobs. I'm not raising a family, but I do pay for a lot of my mom's expenses and I don't necessarily keep a lot of my own money. My fate is not even up to me working, it's up to the people who hire me and decide how much money and what benefits I get. I'm fortunate to now work a job where I make a decent amount and get my own health benefits, but this job is a media job and it is safe to say it has nothing to do with Republican policy.

Republicans are not the worker's party, and they have never claimed to be. Trump, a New Yorker who was born rich and used that as a springboard to become slightly more rich, does not embody your values in any way, shape, or form. That all said - what Republican policies in particular improved your quality of living?

Last thing: Gas prices as a whole have gone up under the Trump administration. They decreased from 2014-2016 and then went up again. Gas is about 75 cents more expensive in New York to the gallon compared to a few years ago. I remember at the beginning of the decline, in 2014, I took a picture with gas that was a measly $3.19 near my university because I thought that shit was amazing. Now $3 gas is disappointing because it went down to around $2.10 here from 2016-2017. I don't think this is Trump's fault, at all, just like how criticisms of gas prices under Obama were misplaced and misleading. It is not one person, party or administration's fault because they don't control what buyers and sellers in the economy do.

EDIT: I was thinking about this while I was out earlier and I just want to clear up that I'll never judge anybody for their party affiliation, but I do like knowing how the affiliation comes to be. To be perfectly clear, I'm asking these questions to know more about you and how voting a certain way will benefit you because I genuinely don't understand. I just want to be more informed.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 11:27 PM
    Spike, EarnhardtFan and wslates like this.
  20. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

Ya gotta vote dude. You have to! It's your way of telling those momo's on Capitol Hill you will or will not tolerate them sitting on their asses or, whatever you like/dislike about them.

You have the power to fire their ass simply by voting someone else in to do the job you expect them to do. But ya gotta vote!