1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

2018 IndyCar Discussion

Discussion in 'Auto Racing Discussion' started by ahspencer01, Oct 12, 2017.

1. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

Darren Ingram and MillsLayne like this.
  2. Hustin Jawkins

Hustin Jawkins Well-Known Member

That's looking good!

3. Hustin Jawkins

4. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

joeykraus19 likes this.
  5. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 Lt. Commish - SRD Pick' Em Series

Hustin Jawkins likes this.
  6. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator, Cup champ.

Did they re-pave IMS? Looks like new pavement....

7. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

They added a new coat of sealant a few weeks ago.

ShadowKnight508 and canadienhits like this.
  8. MillsLayne

MillsLayne #18N19

Doesn't sound like we're getting Alonso in IndyCar fulltime next year as McLaren scraps plans to run in 2019, but Indy is still a maybe. Kind of bummed about this.

9. David24

Disappointing but expected. They said they will wait it out until the end of next season, so perhaps Alonso fulltime in Indycar for 2020, but a lot can change in a year.

10. Hustin Jawkins

What a pity. I was looking forward to that as well. Anyway - looks like there will be about 26 regular entries for next year so racing will be even better. Even without Alonso and McLaren.

The guys at the Trackside podcast said there might be some uncertainty about Wickens until January. Any news on his conditions and progress?

joeykraus19 likes this.
  11. ShadowKnight508

joeykraus19 likes this.
  12. Hustin Jawkins

Thanks!
    Looks good to me but I have no clue of medical stuff so I won’t try to judge. Just hope that he will return.

So - with Alonso out and Jones in it will be only Carlin and Juncos Racing having seats still available. Apart from who might be in the #6 at next season‘s start.

13. ahspencer01

ahspencer01 yikes

14. Hustin Jawkins

Damn it!
    Just looked it up to get more knowledge about cross section paralysis. Even though this looks worse than what has been reported before, there’s no indication whether his state is permanent or not.

There are forms of cross section paralysis where the patient might not have enough sensitivity in his legs to drive a racing car but to walk without a wheelchair.

Let’s hope he’ll heal as much as possible!

joeykraus19 likes this.
  15. David24

I would think that if Zanardi can race with prosthetics then Wickens could still race, but I wouldn't know

joeykraus19 likes this.
  16. Hustin Jawkins

17. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Video editor, Meme Police, and certified B.A.M.F.

I think it's kinda been misunderstood. Yes Robert is currently unable to walk, but I doubt he will be permanently paralyzed. He's already shown some movement in his legs. It's a shame to see a super promising racing career pretty much over as of right now, but I don't think it's all doom and gloom. Robert is still young and still has a chance to regain full use of his legs

18. Tetronix

Tetronix Well-Known Member

Marcus Ericsson will be moving over to Schmidt-Peterson Motorsports, piloting the #7 car in 2019.

From SPM's website:
    Schmidt Peterson Motorsports announced today that Marcus Ericsson will pilot the No. 7 Honda for the 2019 IndyCar Series season. The current Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team driver will make the move to the North American open-wheel racing series following the conclusion of Formula One’s season later this year in Abu Dhabi.

The Kumla, Sweden native is a two-time champion (Formula BMW UK, 2007; Japanese Formula Three, 2009), and has twice claimed the Swedish Junior Racer of the Year award (2007, 2009). Ericsson also previously competed in British Formula Three, GP2 Asia, GP2 and currently has 95 starts in Formula One.

“It’s a great honour to be picked as one of the drivers at Schmidt Peterson Motorsports and IndyCar for the 2019 season,” the Swedish racing driver commented. “It feels like a perfect step for me and my career after five years in F1. I can’t wait to start work with SPM and all the people in the team which I’ve heard a lot of good things about. They’ve had some great success over the years, and I’m looking forward to work hard to continue and improve on that path. The racing in IndyCar looks great and I feel really excited to be part of it in the future. It will be a lot to learn including new tracks, oval racing, etc. I know it won’t be easy, but it’s a challenge I’m very much looking forward to and I can’t wait to get started.”

While the No. 7 Honda will be his primary focus, the 28-year-old will remain on Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team’s lineup as reserve driver for its F1 program due to his strong relationship with the team and its partners. Ericsson most recently finished ninth in the Mexican Grand Prix in Mexico City.

“Ric (Peterson) and I are excited to welcome Marcus to the team,” said SPM co-owner Sam Schmidt. “He has a ton of experience racing in the top levels of motorsports, so we believe that he will be able to contribute to our development program that began in earnest in 2018. While the circuits on the IndyCar schedule will be brand new to him, particularly the ovals, we have a lot of confidence and trust in his eagerness to learn along with his work ethic. We think he and James (Hinchcliffe) will be a good fit to push one another and fight for those wins.”

Ericsson joins series veteran James Hinchcliffe who will continue his appointment in the No. 5 Arrow Electronics Honda, while Briton Jack Harvey will maintain his part-time ride through the collaboration with Meyer Shank Racing. The No. 6 Honda remains open for 2018 IndyCar Series and Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year Robert Wickens when he wants to and is able to return.

19. Hustin Jawkins

Good move to keep the #6 for Wickens!

Shockey Rai likes this.
  20. ShadowKnight508

IndyCar is looking pretty good for the 2019 season, adding COTA and Laguna Seca to the schedule. America’s premier and only top-flight open-wheel racing championship manages to field one of the most competitive and talented pools of drivers, while still managing to be a racing series you may be vaguely familiar with, but don’t bother to actually watch.

Because Texas is nice this time of year, and the teams needed to test Firestone’s prototype tire compounds for next year, A.J. Foyt Racing, Andretti Autosport, and Carlin Racing headed to Austin to set a few laps and gather some data with Tony Kanaan, Alex Rossi, and RC Enerson onboard, respectively.

Twitter On-Board Video: https://twitter.com/COTA/status/1057298164267520001

As you can see from the above video, the test went great. The track is an absolute rip from start to finish in the 2018-spec IndyCars. Tony Kanaan probably had a little more in the tank than what is shown here, but being a test it’s not really worth being on the ragged edge. Alex Rossi set the unofficial time of the event with a 1:47.8 lap, as reported by Racer.com. That’s not quite as fast as the LMP1 lap record at the same track, and about ten seconds slower than Formula One’s best.

Because Formula One really only has five or six cars that can win in a given weekend, and there is such a disparate gap between the front and the backmarkers, I’m inclined to give the edge to IndyCar here. The series saw eight different victors in 2018, and the most recent race at Sonoma featured 16 cars within a second of the pole time.

The cars are pretty good, the drivers are pretty good, and the tracks are pretty good, but the racing is usually frickin’ awesome. Which is why I’m seriously looking forward to the IndyCar race at COTA next March 24th.

SOURCE: https://jalopnik.com/the-onboard-footage-from-indycars-test-at-cota-is-as-bi-1830114100

joeykraus19 and Hustin Jawkins like this.