Updated

2018 NASCAR Silly Season *Rumors and Speculation*

Status
Not open for further replies.

nj9703

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the Almirola to the 10, DiBenedetto to the 43 rumor that's been floating to the garage is definitely plausible..
Stewart-Haas Racing and Danica Patrick are reviewing their options about whether she will continue on as a driver for the team after this year, according to sources. Patrick is signed with SHR through ’18, but there are clauses in her contract that could see the relationship end after this year, and the sides are discussing their choices, sources said. Patrick’s nearly decade-long relationship with GoDaddy that spanned back to her time in IndyCar ended after ‘15, and SHR has run into challenges securing primary sponsorship. Nature’s Bakery earlier this year backed away from its three-year, $45M deal after one season.

Should Patrick leave SHR after ‘17, options would include trying to find another ride in NASCAR or retiring from full-time racing. Patrick, who has run more than 160 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races over the course of six seasons, also has launched new business interests in the past year including an athleisure line and wine brand. Patrick told the AP in April that she would race “as long as it’s fun -- and it hasn’t been super fun lately.” SHR and Patrick’s manager, Excel Sports Management’s Alan Zucker, declined comment.

Patrick currently is 32nd in the Cup Series points standings heading into this weekend’s action at Dover Int'l Speedway. She has no wins in NASCAR’s top series and has not qualified for the playoffs in her Cup career.
-SportsBusinessDaily

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
Lewis Hamilton? I know, unlikely, but it would be entertaining lol

rwarchol

SRD Member
Reaction score
Honestly her best option is to retire, marry Ricky, and have a family. When you have drivers like Cole Whitt, Landon Cassill, and Mcdowell in front of you driving worse equipment you have to consider maybe things aren't working out. Even Dibenedetto is only 3 points behind her. Open Wheel drivers have never had success in this sport, I'm not sure why she thought it'd be different for her.

4WideRacing

Forum Guru
SRD Member
Reaction score
Honestly her best option is to retire, marry Ricky, and have a family. When you have drivers like Cole Whitt, Landon Cassill, and Mcdowell in front of you driving worse equipment you have to consider maybe things aren't working out. Even Dibenedetto is only 3 points behind her. Open Wheel drivers have never had success in this sport, I'm not sure why she thought it'd be different for her.
Tony Stewart would like to have a talk with you....

oddball

SRD Member
Reaction score

It has nothing to do with open wheel, she was rushed into the Cup series. If she was smart, she would've done 3 full seasons in xfinity and in the third one run some Cup races and then the 4th one go full-time Cup racing. By the way, open wheel drivers have done well in NASCAR, Tony Stewart as has been mentioned, Ken Schrader, Dan Gurney, AJ Foyt, Tim Richmond, John Andretti all did well. Heck even for as much Robby Gordon bashing as I did, he did pretty decent. NASCAR is a different beast as it's raw power, something that drivers from other disciplines don't fully understand as they have all these aids driving their cars.

David24

Supreme Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
JPM was pretty close to closing out at Dover and Richmond in his final season. I was kind of disappointed he left Nascar because I thought he was finally making some noticeable gains even after so many years in Nascar

ayrwolf

Where ever your're at, there you are
SRD Member
Reaction score
IMO opinion Danica has made her entire career based on 3 races. The Formula Ford race in England where she caught the eye of Bobby Rahal much like Erin Crocker caught the eye of Ray Evernham. The Indy 500 where she was the hook that ABC used to build viewership on. The race win in Japan that was strictly on strategy and fuel mileage rather than racecraft. Other than that she is nothing more than a lower mid pack driver

Thunder98

That Nostalgia Guy
SRD Member
Reaction score
Cole Custer is poised to take over the 10 in the near future, but it certainly won't be in 2018. Though I honestly doubt SHR will hire someone to only drive one year in the 10 if Patrick doesn't return.

ahspencer01

yikes
Reaction score
Sounds like Blaney could be going to a third Cup Penske car in 2018

DETROIT -- Roger Penske said he would like to bring Ryan Blaney into the Team Penske fold as soon possible, which would entail adding a third car to his Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series team.

Asked if it could happen next year, he responded: “Could be.”

Penske currently fields programs for 2012 series champion Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano. Blaney, 23, is in his second full-time season driving the No. 21 Ford for the Wood Brothers, with whom Penske shares a technical alliance. Blaney is 12th in the driver standings with two top-5s, four top-10s and a pole in 12 starts. He finished second in the Daytona 500.

Blaney made his first two Cup starts with Penske in 2014, but has made the ensuing 64 with the Wood Brothers. Penske has not fielded three full-time Cup cars since 2010 with Kurt Busch, Sam Hornish Jr. and Keselowski. Busch scored the team’s only two wins and finished 11th in the standings that season.

“I think we’ve got to look at that at the end of the year,” Penske said. “I think [Blaney]’s made a lot of progress. Hopefully that’ll happen sooner rather than later.”

via: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...add-ryan-blaney-teams-third-driver/102437430/

TColeman12

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
That'd be pretty cool. I just hope he doesn't run the 12 though lol.

CJL5

SRD Member
Reaction score
So who would take over the Wood Brothers ride? There really isn't a Penske Development driver ready for cup.

burtonbraves

Fictional Extraordinaire
SRD Member
Reaction score
Maybe Bubba could get that seat? I'm sure Blaney will put in a good word, and Bubba has ran really well this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.