1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

2019 IndyCar Discussion

Discussion in 'Auto Racing Discussion' started by Spike, Jan 11, 2019.

1. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

Well it looks like Newgarden is gonna be the one to beat for the title this year.

2. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Lawn Duty, Judge Judy

Found myself on the broadcast at Mid-Ohio!

[​IMG]

3. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

That is freaking cool!

crazyboy335 likes this.
  4. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong Moderator

You've got some pretty good eyes there, Stevie Wonder. ;) lol

crazyboy335 and mtblillie like this.
  5. USSTalladega

Was a pretty decent race overall I'd say.

6. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

It had to be done :D
    Untitled-1.jpg

I'm getting too excited for Portland. Going all three days.

7. Shockey Rai

Shockey Rai Elio

Honestly, I was wondering when someone was gonna do that. lol

8. USSTalladega

Another horrible Pocono race. They never should of went back there to begin with. Felix and Takuma are lucky as shit. Even the racing itself was virtually non-existent. Though five good cars getting wiped out on freaking lap one certainly contributed to that. Worse than both Cup races for sure.

ThatOneShredder likes this.
  9. nascarfreak88

nascarfreak88 Resident hater of playoofs

10. thedude1987

thedude1987 King of Pepsi, Racer, Family Man!

It's not the track... it's drivers making bonehead decisions on lap 1. Stats... Pocono has had 1 death in the time running here in CART/IRL (1971-1989 2013-2019).... IMS has had 42 drivers, one motorcyclist, 13 riding mechanics, and 17 others including a pit crew member, track personnel, and spectators...... Why is Indy still on the schedule?

Shockey Rai and MrDude68 like this.
  11. ThatOneShredder

ThatOneShredder "I can shotgun a White Claw."

Fresh off the transporter

Attached Files:

joeykraus19 likes this.
  12. mtblillie

First off, Indy has been open since the turn of the 20th century, so there are a lot more years of bad things to happen. Second, the amount of safety improvements have consistently dwindled the number of deaths down each decade. You can't compare the safety risk at Indy even from the 1990s to now. Of the three deaths that have happened since the year 2000, one of the deaths was a heart attack, and another was due to a driver being run over by another motorcycle. Hardly the result of the track. The third, which was in 2003 (before safer barriers), was during a testing session when the driver crashed and ended up in the catch fence.

Now look at Pocono. Since the repave, track speeds for NASCAR have exceeded 200 mph, supposedly surpassing average speed records for the Daytona 500 (a track where IndyCar refuses to race). The one fatality you mention came in 2015, more recent than any of the fatalities at Indy, and this was actually due to a racing incident. That is not to mention Robert Wickins' incident last year in which he was paralyzed.

Driver's are not scared of Indy or Daytona, they are scared of Pocono, in both NASCAR and Indy. I'm honestly surprised there aren't more deaths, but that probably has a lot more to do with safety improvements than anything. Just because there haven't been a lot of deaths doesn't mean the track isn't dangerous.

13. thedude1987

thedude1987 King of Pepsi, Racer, Family Man!

Now when you say that, what about Hinchcliffe's injury a few years back, the huge accident with Dixon, Rahal/Bourdais this year.....

The Justin Wilson death in 2015 was a freak accident from flying debris not the track...

Shockey Rai, MrDude68 and mtblillie like this.
  14. mtblillie

Fair enough, but I still hold that drivers seem much more wary about going to Pocono than Indy.

15. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Pocono is just having bad luck lately. Wickens' crash or the crash that happened yesterday could have just as easily happened at Indianapolis, and nobody would suggest that they stop racing there. @thedude1987 has it exactly right.

16. Shockey Rai

Shockey Rai Elio

I have to second @thedude1987 & @MrDude68
    Honestly, some of these bad crashes have happened because of cars ramping off of another car.
    Hell, This happened at Gateway too. (minus getting into the catch fence.)

I'm fine if they stop going to Pocono if they feel unsafe, but removing the track from schedule ain't gonna change anything when these types of crashes can happen no matter the type of track. This is why i was calling it a knee jerk reaction in the chatbox yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for safety, but there's only so much you can do in the terms of safety. Open Wheel racing (and also Motorcycle racing tbh) is always gonna be more dangerous than any other motorsport no matter how safe you make it.

17. ahspencer01

ahspencer01 yikes

My biggest issue with Pocono is their lack of care. There have been absolutely zero safety improvements for a few years now. They desperately need a new catchfence. The thing is more rusted than a car that's sat in a junkyard 80 years. There's a lot of updating the track has needed and has completely ignored for a while. These crashes into the catchfence are partially worse because of the shitty catchfence. That alone makes me want to just tear down the place.

Aside from that, the racing never has been exciting, except the 6 wide nonsense on restarts. During green flag racing it is one of the most stale on-track products there is. It's just not entertaining.

Another thing that isn't much Pocono's fault, the brake failures in more recent years in Nascar have been some of the most violent wrecks there are. Brake failures are no fault of the track and they're always going to be violent, but I think it's especially bad at Pocono simply because of how long the straights are and how slow the corners are. That's a recipe for brake failures and violent crashes.

18. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

One obstacle is that the track is very large, so updates to the track are naturally going to happen more slowly due to the sheer cost of having to add so many more SAFER barriers, replace over 2.5 miles of catch fencing, etc. I don't know what the budget for all of that looks like (nor do I know the track's annual revenues), but it could be something to think about.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  19. mtblillie

There are three things (that I am aware of) that cause a track to be pulled from the schedule due to safety: the ability to mitigate crash damage to a level that is less likely to cause serious bodily harm, the ability for proper safety equipment to reach a severe accident, and the racetrack being somehow unsuitable for the car used. For example, Daytona is not used due to the high speeds. Before Dan Wheldon was killed at Las Vegas, many drivers complained that the track's turns were dangerous and unsuitable for IndyCar.

Please understand that driver's are not complaining about the track causing accidents, the drivers are complaining that the track makes accidents more likely to be more frequent and/or more dangerous.

joeykraus19 and Shockey Rai like this.
  20. USSTalladega

Richmond is officially replacing Pocono. Now they just need to go back to Loudon and The Glen.