1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

2019 Speedweeks at Daytona International Speedway Race Weekend Discussion

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by ShadowKnight508, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Great truck race, I expect the Xfinity race will be just as eventful.

BrendonH12 likes this.
  2. HJimenez42

HJimenez42 Well-Known Member

I really liked the Truck race (more than the Duels and the Clash) and although there were a lot of crashes (for my liking) at the end of the day is a superspeedway race so I'll take it. I hope you're right with today's race @Mystical but the most important: I really hope the Daytona 500 won't be run in single file.

BrendonH12 likes this.
  3. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

The truck race was pure chaos. I can't say I'm surprised though, with the way those trucks were moving around and the inexperience of the guys driving them. Happy Austin Hill came out on top, but only 10 trucks finishing?? Lol. Too many crashes for my liking. The racing was great when they were under green.

Reza Maulana likes this.
  4. TheOutlaw1272

TheOutlaw1272 Maybe I'll be Tracer

*9 Trucks finished.

5. USSTalladega

USSTalladega I see you mate.

This did not age well. Keeping my expectations low today.

6. jacobc62

jacobc62 The OG NASCAR Tiger.

Some statistics I noticed the more I thought about/researched them:

As of Hamlin's win tonight, he becomes the 7th driver to repeat-win in the Daytona 500 within the 21st century. Of these 7 drivers, only two had won the Daytona 500 prior to the turn of the 21st century: Dale Jarrett and Jeff Gordon. Likewise, Dale and Jeff are the only two of the 7 to also win 3 Daytona 500s, while everyone else on this list only have 2.

The full list of drivers (and their years of victory) are as follows, in chronological order of first Daytona 500 victory:
    Dale Jarrett (1993, 1996, 2000)
    Jeff Gordon (1997, 1999, 2005)
    Michael Waltrip (2001, 2003)
    Dale Jr (2004, 2014)
    Jimmie Johnson (2006, 2013)
    Matt Kenseth (2009, 2012)
    Denny Hamlin (2016, 2019)

Dale Jarrett is the only driver on the list to not have competed during the Gen6 Era of the Cup Series. Waltrip is the only driver of the 6 drivers to have run in the Gen6 era to not have won a race during said era.

Both Dales, Jarrett and Jr, drove different car numbers in their first and final victories, both coincidentally driving the #88 in their final respective 500 victory (Jarrett at Yates in 2000, Jr at Hendrick in 2014). Jarrett drove the JGR #18 in 1993, while Jr was driving the DEI #8 in 2004.

Michael Waltrip's victories came the closest together (2 wins in 3 years), while Dale Jr's were the furthest apart (10 years).

Hendrick Motorsports has 4 Daytona 500 victories in the 21st century alone, once each with Gordon and Jr, and twice with Johnson.

Both of Matt Kenseth's victories came in 500s with extended red flags. 2009 was due to weather (rain), while 2012 was due to Montoya's "incident" with a jet dryer.

Riley Maddox and JeffJordan like this.
  7. JeffJordan

JeffJordan My name is no longer Jeff Jordan

Denny Hamlin broke a 47-race winless streak, the longest snapped by a Daytona 500 winner since Dale Earnhardt Jr. won for the first time in 57 races in the 2014 Daytona 500.

Hendrick has won the last five pole positions for the Daytona 500, while Chevrolet has won the last seven. The last time another manufacturer won the pole was Ford in 2012. The top seven starters from that race - Edwards, Biffle, Stewart, Kenseth, Junior, Smith, and Ambrose no longer race at the highest level full-time. Jimmie Johnson, in 8th, was the only driver starting that race in the top-ten who is still racing. Johnson was out of that race on lap 2.

In every Daytona 500 from 2013 - 2019, with the exception of 2015, the driver on pole had no career wins up to that point.

The polesitter didn't finish inside the top-ten for the fifth year in a row. Daytona 500 polesitters have had bad luck in the last few years.
    2015 - Jeff Gordon - Crashed on the last lap
    2016 - Chase Elliott - Crashed early
    2017 - Chase Elliott - Ran out of gas with 3 to go
    2018 - Alex Bowman - Crashed late
    2019 - William Byron - Crashed late

The last Daytona 500 polesitter to finish in the top-five was Bill Elliott, in 2001.

Matt DiBenedetto became the first driver since Joe Ruttman to lead the most laps in a Daytona 500 before winning a race. Ruttman led the most laps in the 1983 Daytona 500. DiBenedetto and Byron led more laps than they have in any race before.

Joey Logano and Casey Mears both finished where they started. The last time a driver finished where they started in the Daytona 500 was in 2016 where Mears and Kasey Kahne finished where they started. Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Matt Kenseth accomplished that the year before. The last time exactly one driver finished where he started was Dale Earnhardt Jr., in 2010.

This was Michael McDowell's 7th career top-ten finish. 6 of those are at Daytona, with 3 in each event.

8. TheOutlaw1272

TheOutlaw1272 Maybe I'll be Tracer

I wanted Joey to win, then at like the last lap McDowell just yeeted.

9. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 Lt. Commish - SRD Pick' Em Series

10. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

That was a good classic Daytona race, lots of passing and then the eventual buildup to the end. Here is to hoping this new aero package next week will be good.

11. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong Moderator

Getting a ticket for the “Great American Race” ~ $100
    Repairs for all damaged race cars ~ $1,000,000,000
    Hearing that commercial where Kyle Busch says, “2nd place is just the first loser” all day and subsequently seeing Kyle Busch finish 2nd, in effect, and according to his own words, making him the first loser - Priceless

12. MillsLayne

MillsLayne #18N19

Luckily, he hasn't had to deal with that 51 times in his Cup career. ;)

theusar likes this.
  13. ShadowKnight508

14. ShadowKnight508

15. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller Well-Known Member

A great radioactive. Amazing how many folks don't like Stenhouse.

16. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

You mean "Stankhouse"? LOL

17. ShadowKnight508

For those who missed it, here is the full stream for the 2019 Daytona 500 (credit to NASCAR):

mtblillie likes this.
  18. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

So.... like... did Newman even bother coming to pit road after that big one? They cut to a view of his car after they Stenhouse/Harvick crash on the ensuing restart, and he wasn't in that one, and when they come down to the final restart, he's still dragging along sparks and all... It was like he said "screw it" lol

19. Dodgeman4345

Dodgeman4345 Well-Known Member

Roush Fenway Racing posted on their Facebook page that Newman basically ran on the inner liner for the last 10 laps.

nascarfan9 likes this.
  20. Keselowski2Wallace

Keselowski2Wallace Keselowski2Wallace

i love bubba's reaction to the Xfinity Champ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.