1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

2020 Democratic Primary

Discussion in 'Politics/Religion' started by Darren Ingram, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Moderator Moderator

Don't rely on getting your new from one source. Read every source, listen to every (credible) opinion. If you only watch Fox News, for example, you're doing yourself a disservice.

DaleTona75 and EarnhardtFan like this.
  2. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

@JeffJordan Posted this chart in the Meuller thread quite a while back, imo as long as it's within the green or yellow your probably ok: https://www.adfontesmedia.com/ Also do what Darren said, personally I only follow a couple local stations and the AP on Twitter, but I also try to take in whatever else comes across my feed.

Darren Ingram likes this.
  3. J.R.Franklin

J.R.Franklin Well-Known Member

I would say that if you watch all the other news outlets except Fox News you're doing yourself a disservice. If it wasn't for Fox News, no one would ever know what's REALLY going on in this country based on what the so-called mainstream media reports or blatantly ignores reporting on.

4. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

I will say that the most impact you can have on your immediate life is to get involved on the local levels (state congress, as each state has like a mini-federal government operating in districts....) while all that might seem exceedingly redundant (re: less federal oversight and control, states can do the job individually thanks), they have public meetings and hearings on things that might seem mundane but have lasting impacts to your area. During my time in Maine, I actually attended a few meetings, spoke to several local legislators, posed my issues to them and how it effected the bigger picture. Real education that no school I've been to has offered. Highly enlightening and heartening that the 'swamp' seems mostly federal-based. Local still works.

Then I left Maine.... and looks like just in time lol

5. Darren Ingram

Faux News is literally the worst of any of the mainstream news sources, lmao.

6. RacerXero84

That's heavily opinion based, whereas I would say CNN/MSNBC are tied for that same honor.

Break even: OAN Network is where I usually reside. And Breaking 911 on Twitter.

7. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong Moderator

FTFY

8. Darren Ingram

I'm pretty sure I remember reading a study that found more than 50% of statements made on Fox News were outright lies.

Fact checking non profit PunditFact rates 59% of the statements made by Fox New's commentators/hosts as either "mostly false, false, or pants on fire". That same criteria for CNN comes in at a 27% number, and a 42% for NBC, which isn't great, but still better than the Fox News mark.

The only regular commentator worth anything on that network is Chris Wallace.

9. RacerXero84

Which is hilarious to me because I honestly think Chris Wallace is the bar none worst on there and even sending him off to CNN would be doing CNN a disservice lol
    Personally prefer (when I do watch) The Five and the entire crew of that, good sound discussion with a few jokes and barbs, with multiple political ideologies represented there.

Aside from that, I stay away from CNN/MSNBC/Fox (and that obnoxious Shepherd Smith, seriously, the dude is a complete empty headed pretty boy lol) and stick to getting the basics from OAN and Breaking 911..... and then.... *gasp* doing the legwork myself to find out more because all major media outlets are businesses, which means they are in it for the money, and thus will do/say whatever they think will bring in money.

Speaking of that, only reason CNN still exist b.t.w is because of their airline contract (which is garbage IMO, exclusivity like that should be prevented). Without it, no way they could operate with the overhead they have.

10. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

So TIME is neutral, NYT is barely left of center, CNN isn't much further left than that, and freaking Vox is shown as almost trustworthy?? LOL, what a complete load of bunk that is.

You can't rely on other people's bias to find out what is and isn't biased. Everyone has some sort of bias. Read whatever is out there, and trust yourself to figure out what should be avoided.

I know there will be people who say that my bias is showing. And yes, you are right. But so is the bias of whichever organization put this chart together. You can smell liberal all over it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    MattyO, BrendonH12 and nj9703 like this.
  11. EarnhardtFan

I dunno, like I said JJ linked it in a thread a while back and I've never really had a reason not to trust them. It is almost a year outdated though so that may be why, other than that I have no idea, so sorry if my trust was misplaced ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  12. wslates

wslates 1

Didn't watch night 2, but I was impressed with Warren on night 1. Enjoying her "I have a plan for that" mantra. Will have to read more on the front runners as we get closer to the primaries.

Just hoping for anyone other than Biden; however, I will happily vote for him in the general over Trump.

hiarcracing and EarnhardtFan like this.
  13. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

I'm sorry man, if you took my post personally... It definitely was not my intention at all to call you out. I've just never liked these charts, because I don't think that they're accurate. I think they're misleading. If it works for you or whoever else, then I can live with that. It just struck something in me and I had to say something. That is all.

EarnhardtFan likes this.
  14. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

I find it quite alarming that all of you consider whatever news source you choose to listen to that they are,
    A, they are telling you the truth. And B, they don't have an agenda for whichever side the news agency leans. All of them are extremely guilty of changing the narrative to suit their argument. I don't find one worse than the other, they are all just as guilty as the other.

I've been doing a bit of research. And so far, any of the Dems running on a platform with free healthcare for all and you get your college debt paid off is not running on a winning platform.

I'm also not a fan of the argument that the Dems don't need Bernie or Biden because we don't need another old white man as president. Fuck right off with that argument. There was a day where older men and women were considered wise and knowledgeable. All of a sudden being old is a problem. Not a fan......

I've already got a bad attitude about the whole thing,lol.

chevy29 and RacerXero84 like this.
  15. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Lawn Duty, Judge Judy

The people that look at only one source and take that as fact is the problem. People should be looking at 2 or 3 sources at least to iron out any biases that each article may give.

16. RacerXero84

I agree 100%, if you want the truth, sadly, you have to dig for it nowadays. Quite the sad state of affairs media-wise.

17. EarnhardtFan

For me the problem with having older people in any office is that these days they'll probably be making some decisions on tech related issues. I get that there are a ton of exceptions, but I don't think I would be wrong in saying that a majority of people 60/65-70+ aren't very technology literate, if at all. I don't think that we should have someone in office making those kinds of choices when they don't know how to, say, troubleshoot a wifi connection problem or transfer files to/from a USB drive.

18. RacerXero84

Except that no president, in the history of ever, has been expected to know everything, or even a fair chunk of that. Hence why you have various advisers and cabinet members, each with their own staff.

Being President is a massive duty, and in no way do I expect a single person to know how to handle it all. Personally, I'd rather the old guy that knows economics over a guy with a tech degree that can swap out a motherboard. This coming from a 34 year old IT grad lol

Honestly the fact that Google/Twitter/Facebook hasn't been taken to task (at the very least Google because it's proven they are meddling in affairs WAY outside their scope) is appalling; These companies are clearly on the cusp of falling under antitrust laws. That I lay at the feet of the courts and Congress, who have PLENTY of resources to be up to date and in the know, yet do nothing.

Even more appalling: nobody was even asked about it. I wonder why.....

Skyline and MattyO like this.
  19. EarnhardtFan

That’s fair, and I didn’t really think about advisors and stuff like that if I’m being honest.

I guess what I’m more referring to is older people who are, I guess I could say, technologically illiterate to the point of blatant ignorance? Like I saw a video of a hearing with an exec from I think it was Google, and the official who was questioning him was cutting him off and saying “It’s a yes or no question” when he was trying to explain that location tracking is (at least this is what he was saying) an opt in/out kind of thing. He also asked the guy, from Google, questions about iPhones. It was just obnoxious imo and I guess just soured my opinion. I don’t want expertise, I just want competence.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    RacerXero84 likes this.
  20. chevy29

chevy29 Well-Known Member

Who do you think created all that technology you play with, son?

MattyO likes this.