5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

2020 Formula One Discussion

mtblillie

It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy
SRD Member
Reaction score
Both Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean are leaving Haas after this season. I have yet to see any news on where they may go or who may replace them. There was a rumor going around earlier this week that Magnussen may be done in F1, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if neither found a ride or if one or both end up running in back of the pack teams next year. Haas is set to remain in the sport until at least 2025. As I say with all the news and events that have come out this year, I cannot wait to see the next season of "Drive to Survive"
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/152941/magnussen-to-exit-haas-at-the-end-of-2020

mtblillie

SRD Member
Reaction score
Callum Ilott & Sergio Perez my prediction
Supposedly Callum Ilott is not a candidate for a Haas seat.

Sergio Perez is a good bet, since that is likely the best seat he could land, though he is also rumored at Williams. There is also a chance he will end up at red bull, but that is if they can Alex Albon, which I don't think would be a great idea.

Another possibility being rumored for Haas is Nikita Mazepin. Supposedly his dad has been supporting the team to some degree.

Timotop

Lurker
Reaction score
Hello !

Here is the translation of a text published on the website of Motorsport.nextgen-auto.com.

The original text was written in French. It's available here:
https://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com...aux-pilotes-ce-week-end-pour-2021,153664.html

+++++

Haas F1 is expected to announce two new drivers this weekend for 2021.

Goodbye to Grosjean and Magnussen, hello to Mazepin and ...

In the first seat of the VF-21 of 2021, we should find Nikita Mazepin, strongly supported financially by his billionaire father, Dimitri. The Russian is well on his way to securing his super license for F1 so this is the opportunity not to be missed. For Haas too, since we are talking about 15 million euros per year for 3 years (one year firm, two with options).

The second seat will be awarded to a young driver from the Ferrari Academy. According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Mick Schumacher would ultimately be chosen because Alfa Romeo could ultimately retain Antonio Giovinazzi, alongside Kimi Raikkonen. But the German also has his chances at Alfa Romeo. The situation is still a bit hazy.

Olivier Ferret - motorsport.nextgen-auto.com. October 21, 2020

+++++

Here in Europe, other autosport websites report rumors that Mick Schumacher will make his first F1 season with Haas.

Swagger Racing 26

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Another possibility being rumored for Haas is Nikita Mazepin. Supposedly his dad has been supporting the team to some degree.
I've heard that but i hope not lol
hope F1 doesnt turn into NASCAR where you can literally buy yourself a ride

Timotop

Lurker
Reaction score
In F1 it's been a long time that a driver can buy his seat with the help of sponsors. And the story of paying drivers in F1 is a very long one !

mtblillie

SRD Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean a good example is Lance Stroll. Fortunately Stroll has at least some talent and has about as much experience as everyone else in an F1 seat, but he is only at Racing Point because his billionaire dad is part owner of the team. Before that he was only at Williams because his dad payed into that team.

Lastlap

SRD Member
Reaction score
Gents, even with Money... drivers still need to come up through the ranks to earn enough racing points for a Super Licence (unless that's changed). So while they might have money, they've done what they need to do earn a chance.

Still might not do well though..... lol.

Timotop

Lurker
Reaction score
Hello !

The FIA unveiled its 2021 calendar (provisional).

This is the highest number of GPs in one year.
since the creation of the World Drivers' Championship in 1950.

However the course of all these events will depend on the health
crisis linked to the coronavirus.

For the first time in its history, Formula 1 will also stop in
Saudi Arabia for the penultimate round of the season.
The Saudi Arabia Grand Prix, held in Jeddah, will take
place on November 28.

The GP of Vietnam, scheduled for April, is already cancelled.
It should be replaced.

2021 calendar:

21 March - Australian GP (Melbourne)
28 March - Bahrain GP (Sakhir)
11 April - Chinese GP (Shanghai)
25 April - TBC
9 May - Spanish GP (Barcelona)
23 May - Monaco GP (Monaco)
6 June - Azerbaijan GP (Baku)
13 June - Canadian GP (Montreal)
27 June - French GP (Le Castellet)
4 July - Austrian GP (Spielberg)
18 July - British GP (Silverstone)
1 August - Hungarian GP (Budapest)
29 August - Belgian GP (Spa-Francorchamps)
5 September - Dutch GP (Zandvoort)
12 September - Italian GP (Monza)
26 September - Russian GP (Sochi)
3 October - Singapore GP (Singapore)
10 October - Japanese GP (Suzuka)
24 October - United States GP (COTA - Austin)
31 October - Mexican GP (Mexico-City)
14 November - Brazilian GP (Sao Paulo)
28 November - Saudi Arabia GP (Jeddah)
5 December - Abu Dhabi GP (Abu Dhabi)

For more information see below:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/153401/f1-reveals-provisional-23round-2021-calendar
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/153402/is-f1EURTMs-23race-calendar-too-much-and-too-ambitious

CCM284

SRD Member
Reaction score
I honestly thought I just watched a driver die in a crash for the second time this year when it happened. The safety of those cars cannot be underestimated.

oddball

SRD Member
Reaction score
Am I wrong in wondering why a modern F1 track has armco barriers? I realize Monaco does, but that's a different story. I was blown away at the fact that there was an armco barrier there. I just can't believe someone built a modern track with armco barriers. It screams disaster waiting to happen. Am I wrong in my thought process?

Lastlap

SRD Member
Reaction score
Am I wrong in wondering why a modern F1 track has armco barriers? I realize Monaco does, but that's a different story. I was blown away at the fact that there was an armco barrier there. I just can't believe someone built a modern track with armco barriers. It screams disaster waiting to happen. Am I wrong in my thought process?
Not sure what feed you had or the commentary to go along with it....

With SkyF1 and ex drivers like Brundle & team etc said this was a weird & strange crash. Not something that would normally happen. These tracks are FIA designed (very safe) are they try to think of everything that would happen, could happen.

However, this crash was not in an area or direction that the cars normal go/crash. So possibly a lack of protection in the Armco/wall. If the car had not split the barriers and no fire happened, it might not be an issue.

But things happen (thankfully everyone was ok)... and we learn from them.

oddball

SRD Member
Reaction score
Not sure what feed you had or the commentary to go along with it....

With SkyF1 and ex drivers like Brundle & team etc said this was a weird & strange crash. Not something that would normally happen. These tracks are FIA designed (very safe) are they try to think of everything that would happen, could happen.

However, this crash was not in an area or direction that the cars normal go/crash. So possibly a lack of protection in the Armco/wall. If the car had not split the barriers and no fire happened, it might not be an issue.

But things happen (thankfully everyone was ok)... and we learn from them.
As Jeff Gordon proved many times, just because you think that a car won't go in a certain spot, does not mean it will. Yes, it was a weird and not where a car normally will go, but you would think anywhere where there's track, there should be the highest level of protection.