Updated

A Hefty Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustang

#11DH #14CB #18KB #20CB #42KL #99CE
SRD Member
Reaction score
Always wanted to build my own PC, and with a new job in line with very good pay im planning on buying a very good Desktop computer. Im sure many of you love your PC components and would be willing to point me in a good direction when it comes to choosing a PC Build.

Following the link, you will see what i have so far.

Hefty Computer Build

When i've ordered the parts I'll keep a log when i build it for anyone interested.

Not ordering the parts till the end of may, so suggestions on improvements for parts are welcome, want to keep to the £1000 point though (y)

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
Off the top, I'd would say it would be worth looking into a higher core clock processor. 3.5 ghz is good, but when I went from that to a 4.2 Ghz, it was quite a bit faster.

Compare and contrast that nVidia card as well, for the amount you are paying for that monster, you could get something comparable for less on the ATI scale with equal (if not better) results. I used to swear by nVidia, and nothing against the brand, but so far my ATI card decimates the nVidia equivalents (and it was cheaper, ran cooler, less power, and overclocks great).

With the savings from the vid card swap, you could look into some liquid cooling options, or even spring for a full ATX case/mobo (FYI DDR4 RAM is due out early next year, rocking much higher specs, might be worth looking into a DDR4 capable mobo) which will REALLY help in expansion options in the future.

My 2 cents. Other than all that, looks like a really solid build, and either way you should be quite pleased with what you get out of it.

Alan Harkleroad

SRD Site Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
If you buy that card you better get a bigger case, its longer then you will have room and possibly taller. Anything with 2 or more coolers on it you need to be running a full case to be safe.

Hate for you to have to return the case when you find your card wont fit!

Also you are going to need a bigger PSU... 750W just to be safe.

Performance wise drop the 2 stick ram option and get one 8GB high speed stick. It will perform better.

Last edited:

Mustang

SRD Member
Reaction score
Off the top, I'd would say it would be worth looking into a higher core clock processor. 3.5 ghz is good, but when I went from that to a 4.2 Ghz, it was quite a bit faster.

Compare and contrast that nVidia card as well, for the amount you are paying for that monster, you could get something comparable for less on the ATI scale with equal (if not better) results. I used to swear by nVidia, and nothing against the brand, but so far my ATI card decimates the nVidia equivalents (and it was cheaper, ran cooler, less power, and overclocks great).

With the savings from the vid card swap, you could look into some liquid cooling options, or even spring for a full ATX case/mobo (FYI DDR4 RAM is due out early next year, rocking much higher specs, might be worth looking into a DDR4 capable mobo) which will REALLY help in expansion options in the future.

My 2 cents. Other than all that, looks like a really solid build, and either way you should be quite pleased with what you get out of it.
Thanks for the advice, never really looked into ATI at all and i will consider it for sure, as for cooling i was thinking of sticking with fans for now, knowing my luck i'd mess up on installing the liquid cooling.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your comp specs? :)

Alan Harkleroad

SRD Site Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
EVGA makes great cards, they are the best NVIDIA distributor by far, but for that amount you can get an AMD card that most of the developers are building around right now with Mantle. Alot of studios have invested in the new technology. Just do some research on the various cards before you settle on one.

The EVGA card wont let you down but you can get equally good ones for less.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
My computer specs are:

**Coolermaster mid ATX case (LOVE coolermaster)
**Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit (has a 16 GB RAM cap... professional/ultimate does not)
**GA-970-DS3 Gigabyte Motherboard (cheap, and does the job for sure)
**AMD FX 4100 quad core 3.6 Ghz (says quad... but it's really a dual core... stupid windows)
**H60 Corsair Liquid cooling (easy to install btw)
**20 GB DDR3 RAM Corsair Vengeance (2x8 GB + 2x2GB) (16 GB usable)
**MSI ATI based 7850 HD TwinFrozr model 2GB DDR5 graphics (runs iracing almost maxed out)
**Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM
**Corsair 650W PSU (not even using 50% most times, even under intense gaming loads)

With this setup, at 1600x900 resolution (free monitor I got from work... stop laughing :p ) I get around 35-60 FPS with nr2003 with all the little bells and whistles, full field, vsync on, additional graphics pushed via my ATI CCC program.

And just for posterity: Windows experience index ratings:
Processor: 7.2
Memory: 7.3
Graphics: 7.9
Gaming: 7.9
Harddisk: 5.9 <--- damn ratings want a solid state for a 7.9...

EDIT: And just to add to this, if you want it cheap, put together correctly (with additional warranties) and fairly fast, I recommend HERE and build your own. 3 PC's from there, all three are still running with minor upgrades (5-3-1 years old respectively). Usually a solid rig there (with monitor) will run you about $1200-1300 (or about 900 euro).

Last edited:

Alan Harkleroad

SRD Site Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Get Windows 7 Professional. You dont need Ultimate but Pro has the XP Virtual Machine software option for older apps in it. Ultimate is if you want to run enterprise level encryption. Other then that its not necessary.

The H60 cooler is awesome. I have that as well. Keeps my FX8350 @32 during high demand games and around 27 during idle. It was a simple install and I added an extra fan to run it in a push pull configuration.

My current layout: Will get a new video card at the end of the year.

Rosewill Black Hawk Gaming Case
Thermaltake 750W Gold+ Cert PSU
FX 8350 4.1 GHz CPU
32 GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 @ 1866
1TB SSHD Seagate Main OS Drive. SSD Speeds with standard hard disk space. I love it.
(4x) 1 TB Seagate SSHD drives in Raid Disk Mirror Config
Powercolor 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256bit
ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula Z board (Has 8 Sata connectors on board which is why I choose it for disk mirroring.)

Alan Harkleroad

SRD Site Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
And yeah Cyberpower is the way to go for custom builds without you having to do it yourself.

Mustang

SRD Member
Reaction score
I'm looking through Cyberpower right now and it seems that i'll get a lot more through ordering from them, im getting more than what i would if i were to build my own. Just need to know if they ship to the UK, if so i may be able to get a bargain, thanks to the currency exchange rate :)

Do you think your two rigs will be able to play watchdogs? Really looking forward to that game, one of the reasons im switching to PC is to experience fantastic visuals and such.

Mustang

SRD Member
Reaction score
According to the system requirements lab 'can you RUN it?', my computer config barely passes minimum requirements for Watchdogs.

Can You RUN It | Can I run that game | Game system requirements
Using Game Debate it says i'll be able to run it, probably not on Ultra settings, but i'll settle for high, i read somewhere that the console versions of the game are the same as the "low" settings on PC, so if i can get better than that, which i will be able too, i can. I'm still looking into CPU's and GPU's at the moment, trying to stick to the budget i have.

Status
Not open for further replies.