1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

AI coming to IRacing

Discussion in 'iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations' started by FastCat, Jan 12, 2018.

1. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Plus you have to figure, it's iRacing; NASCAR and other racing series have partnerships already in place with them.
    I don't think licensing a stand alone would be overly difficult later on.

2. 11rows0f3

11rows0f3 Well-Known Member

I just saw this, lol - this would be HUGE!

By coincidence, I just started getting back online with iRacing this week with the release of the IR-18 and am going to paint some retros. Here's my IndyCar ride, I LOVE the looks on the new Dallara body work with speedway wing.

My loyalty is with NR2003 and MENCS 2018, but I'll be open-minded because the graphics are so good on iRacing. Even if they really do this and make a dent in the NR2003 community, this NR2003 will live on for a LONG time and in my book will always be the best Sim ever release. What other game can have a 15 year run like this?

PS - if iRacing does AI and starts doing some 80's / 90's NASCAR and CART. Oh man I'd have to quit my job to paint cars full-time. :D

[​IMG]

3. 11rows0f3

11rows0f3 Well-Known Member

And to follow up, what I want is....

1. No stress, I want to log on and race a field of user-painted cars that race the real Cup or IndyCar Series. I don't want iRacing AI cars like "Bob Jones", I want to be able to set my own fields and collect cars like I do now for NR2003.

2. No rules on painting. I worry with finally doing AI, if you can make your own field of current cars, even if "we" the users paint them, someone is going to want a piece of that licencing dollar and iRacing could never afford that. For example, I re-create a Tim Richmond #25 Folgers car, is Hendrick or Tim Richmond's estate going to put pressure on iRacing about the "image and likeness" deal? Ugh.

Like you guys say, the more I think about it, while it will LOOK amazing on the graphics-side - what I am most excited about right now? John Norton is making Anderson Speedway. Where I raced years ago in real life and still attend the Little 500, etc. Tracks like that we'll never see in iRacing.

4. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

Time to bump for some more info. Not much at all still at this time though.

From the iRacing forums:

So in short. You will still have to have an online connection just like the current testing mode. AI will not be used as "field fillers" for online races(hosted and official) All cars/tracks will be optimized for AI(as of now) and there will be rules and flags in AI races.

I guess nothing we didn't already know. I for one am excited and am waiting patiently every day since the announcement back in January.

5. Hendrick4life

Hendrick4life 300 Wins | 15 Championships

Question is though, I know earlier we heard you can do a season/career like NR2003, can that still be done or?

Those are the types of questions solid answers to are needed, at least in the case of them being further down the line in development.

6. David24

At this point only time will tell. But there is this, from a thread at racedepartment.com
    https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/iracing-to-introduce-single-player-ai-in-2018.145952/

Edit: That's already in the first post of this thread. Oops. Just shows that there really is nothing more than they have already said, yet I'm still looking:D

7. watsonz

watsonz #4TheCup

I hope this means the team is prepping for a standalone NASCAR title. It's a little far-fetched, but one can hope.

8. Hendrick4life

Hendrick4life 300 Wins | 15 Championships

Man I'd kill for an updated NR2003. The potential of what iRacing can do if they did a standalone offline title. Or hell just made the offline portion like NR2003. Ratings and all. Build in custom points systems and more stuff we done beat around constantly.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  9. David24

For those who currently have iRacing installed look in your iRacing folder in My Documents and you will see a folder named "airosters" so let the speculation begin

10. RacerXero84

It's actually been there for several months, since January I think.
    Pretty sure this will be for the TGA's of the various drivers the user selects to run their races/seasons.

The question however, remains if we will be able to make a driver (i.e. I want to put Jimmie Johnson in there) or if we will be limited to real iracing drivers/accounts or premade rosters.

11. Dcgc28

Dcgc28 Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'll be able to, my question is will we be stuck to the same paint scheme or can we turn the numbers off and use custom numbers like we can in offline testing. That's going to be another make or break for a lot of people.

12. David24

I feel like what has already been said from the staff on the forums is enough for me. A customize-able season/rosters and AI schemes/ratings. I'm not really into the custom driver names at the moment, the biggest factor for me will be the actual quality of the AI. I never have hope for AI in racing games these days, rFactor is alright but nothing to write home about, pCars is just downright terrible. I do have somewhat high expectations for the iRacing team though since they did after all develop NR2003.

Ryan81398, dako, Tetronix and 2 others like this.
  13. RacerXero84

My chief problem is right now, there are TWO known glitches in iRacing: tire camber and a tape glitch, which is really ruining the racing. Hopefully they fix that soon, at least before trying to implement AI.

Dcgc28 likes this.
  14. Dcgc28

Dcgc28 Well-Known Member

Agreed, but I'm assuming the AI will run the iracing fixed sets anyway so they won't have any glitchy tape/camber issues. But I agree that we need the current product fixed before we roll in something new that not everyone in even the oval community will use.

RacerXero84 likes this.
  15. Met_fan

Met_fan Member

Although this thread is about AI, can you explain a little more about these two mentioned glitches and what they are about?

16. Dcgc28

Dcgc28 Well-Known Member

Pretty much in Cup cars everyone is running max cambers in the front with high casters because that's the only way you can get any speed out of the sets . So you get ridiculous tire wear and temps on the tires that would never work in real life .

Not sure about the tape glitch, but that's the suspension and camber issues right now.

USSTalladega and Met_fan like this.
  17. RacerXero84

That's Cup, Xfinity, AND Truck for camber

Tape I haven't even figured out, but it has something to do with 80% tape and being basically able to run a standard open race with that tape setting without blowing the engine. BIG gains there.

USSTalladega and Met_fan like this.
  18. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Cruising at Warp 9

Wow, that's bad. What the heck are they waiting for? Stuff like that should be resolved the week it crops up.

19. Dcgc28

Dcgc28 Well-Known Member

If they fix it they can't tease us with their "soon" nonsense, I honestly hope they keep it how it is. I race in a private league and I'm just starting to wrap my head around the changes. So I'd rather finish out the season and get it fixed for 2019 personally. But I know that's not popular opinion.

Also been some ramblings, nothing official of course, that the next update could be the AI update.