1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

AI coming to IRacing

Discussion in 'iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations' started by FastCat, Jan 12, 2018.

1. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

Finally a staff update and a video regarding AI. Not the news I wanted but good things come to those who wait!

2. jf1881

jf1881 New Member

I can't wait for AI!! Then iRacing will fully transition from being a simulator to a full blown video game! This started with Steam and will now finish with AI. AI might be the end of the line for me as a customer.

How about iRacing stops worrying about gaining as many customers as they can to actually fixing issues with their servers, their tire models, etc.... and keep the simulator a simulator. Add a realistic clutch so the engine actually stalls like real cars. Add GWC finishes. Add the things your TRUE supporters want rather than the next flashy item to attract more scrubs.

3. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Big Lump

Guess I'm not a real supporter despite playing iRacing since 2013

4. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

Talk about fucking gatekeeping, good lord

5. JRRacing64

JRRacing64 Well-Known Member

See ya then!

6. Thunder98

Thunder98 Same shit, different day. Admin

Lurking for five years and that's your first post?
    [​IMG]

7. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 Lt. Commish - SRD Pick' Em Series

Meme-s-Facepalm-Meme-Decal.jpg

8. David24

Well AI obviously wasn't included in the December build, so this means hopefully it's in the March build. Maybe if we're extrememly lucky they'll do a mid season release but I wouldn't count on it

joeykraus19 likes this.
  9. Hendrick4life

Hendrick4life 304 Wins | 15 Championships

I am kinda hoping for a miracle here. I am seriously holding my breath for AI, its been years for me since I last played iRacing and am looking forward to "upgrading" from NR2003. But heck, if I have to wait till March, maybe they will have a host of kinks worked out by then

joeykraus19 likes this.
  10. Mcc457

Mcc457 Well-Known Member

smells like J*mes

11. lasvegas247

lasvegas247 Member

I'm hoping AI gets released sometime this year. I just signed up and really enjoy iracing so far. It will give me time to get to know tracks and all the little things. I will do cup AI, maybe C class trucks vs live humans.

Anyone know who does custom paints? i know about trading paints, found hippies paint shops but didn't see any pricing.

12. David24

Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg

13. Hendrick4life

Hendrick4life 304 Wins | 15 Championships

Seems like they haven't changed this from NR2003. In the track.ini there is a section for time lost pitting. Wondering if they plan on optimizing this or re-working it altogether.

Also, hopefully the pit crew skill will help or hurt an AI car during the course of a run. Say start out fast and slow down or see them getting a little sideways over the course of a run because of adjustments or lack thereof. Should be pretty awesome

14. David24

Here is an update
    Super bummed...now I'm finally getting the whole iRacing "soon" meme. Jesus Christ. January 2018 they were "very far down the road with the project" and "we should release it this year as well" and now we are over a year from that and still no timeline to release it. But I will continue to wait it out as I am sure it will be the best AI in any racing game available.

15. halfwayglad

halfwayglad BBMC Tracks

I purchased a subscription for the year (last November) thinking I'd get to enjoy some non-NR2003 AI races. At this point, my subscription might expire before they even release the feature.

D0rant likes this.
  16. watsonz

watsonz #4TheCup

This is starting to sound so much like NR2003. I'm excited.

17. D0rant

D0rant Well-Known Member

Yes they are taking their sweet as time BUT to be fair they are the only ones among the modern racing games devs who can program AI to be satisfactory in any type of track be it oval or road course so they might as well take their time to perfect it before they launch it.

18. Highbank

Highbank Trans Am Car Set Creator

I don't agree with that statement, opinions are everyone's right but I have just about every sim old and new...most folks don't really realize that sims like rFactor, GTR2, GTL, etc... have a "Hat" file which is the ai learning the track, they need to be allowed to run in a "practice session" for some time (I usually run them for at least a half hour before I attempt to run with them) if you don't like what your ai is doing you can delete the Hat and let it relearn the track and results can vary....that's just one element of their ai systems. Several of us were testing with the rFactor National Stock Car mod recently (almost everyone had that tired opinion that rFactor ai can't race on an oval) within an hour we could see them racing as well as any ai we'd seen. Do they bully at times yes but that's true in all sims, even NR2003...Do they race well on ovals, sometimes they do, just like in NR2003. I agree that NR2003 has one of the finest ai systems we've had to date but I don't think that guarantees that iRacing's ai will be golden.

RacerXero84 and DaleTona75 like this.
  19. jacobc62

jacobc62 The OG NASCAR Tiger.

What's the quote here? "A delayed game is good, but a rushed game is forever terrible."? Even if the AI aren't perfect, the iRacing team is at least taking the time to refine the AI.

DaleTona75 and Tetronix like this.
  20. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

There is another aspect people are missing: every time iRacing changes something (and they do it often, and it usually breaks a setup) they will invariably have to alter the AI to some extent. Given their track record, I have no faith that they will do it. They will more than likely simply tell people "AI is broken for now, patch coming 'soon'" (eight months later....).

I was hyped about this to a point, but their practice is so incredibly poor that I'll be amazed if the AI thing goes 4 months without a major breakage, to be fixed months later, only to broken again 2 weeks after that.

That's how they operate.