1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Article 13 Passed

Discussion in 'Politics/Religion' started by Mystical, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

So Article 13 in the EU just passed. For those unaware this is a law going in place that will force every website that can upload content to now have an 'upload filter' that will check a 'database' of copyright material and essentially take down/deny a user from posting their content if said content is a copyright work. How the system is implemented or where this database resides is unknown.

Sure this is only going to be a law for Countries in the EU but similar to how every website you now visit has that annoying "this site uses cookies" (which was another EU law a few years ago) it affected many US and other country sites as well.

The law in my opinion is completely stupid and written by politicians who don't even use or understand the internet. They literally think all that data could possibly be filtered let alone no false positives and people claiming copyright over fair use content will not occur. Companies are going to shut suff down that doesn't actually fall under article 13. If they can get away with censorship they will do it.

Personally I hope this hurts the EU economy so bad that businesses that are web based just pull their services and block EU sites instead of complying to the upload filter and America doesn't follow with a similar law later on (which I would hope our politicians, as dumb/divided as they can be, are smarter or scared enough by getting voted out of office to never try such a thing). You can just see the corporations lobbying to get a bill like this passed so they can control the internet and anything they don't like being uploaded whether its fair use, original work, or not their copyright.

One only needs to look at a site like Youtube that has had an automated upload filter for years in place and already see how BROKEN it is. Now imagine that same type of system but for every website, even SRD. False claims on fair use and people getting a copyright strike on their video already occurs by false flaggers. We've seen people who post their own music and get a copyright strike by a person who claimed the video as a fake company to gain the monetization. Now imagine posting a paint scheme on SRD but because you used a logo on the hood your upload get blocked, real fun right?

In conclusion Article 13 is not only going to restrict the internet more but it will kill creativity because this system will no doubt be abused, messy, and in no way do what it originally is planned for: to 'help' out those few large corporations that so desperately needed help protecting their copyright from little Jimmy who made a meme with a frame from their movie.

Tetronix, DaveO, MrDude68 and 2 others like this.
  2. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

From what I’ve been seeing around on Twitter it doesn’t go into effect for at least two years. Even so I agree, like you said just look at Youtube, it’s a broken mess of copyright claims.

Also from what I’m seeing on Twitter, MEP elections are in late May of this year. So it’s likely that people will be voting out the ones that voted for Article 13 and will try to get it pulled.

Mystical likes this.
  3. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

The voting out will be good but the law will sadly still exist unless this is not a concrete thing and the EU MEP's who get voted in can revert it. Hoping by 2 years things can change but I expect the worst. I just hope those of us not in EU are not going to get affected by this. I think the only way the EU will change the law is if they get economically affected in a negative way by this and they see other countries with all the web freedom and realize how much money they begin to lose.

From my own personal dealings with automated copyright systems I have no faith in this system to really work. Heck I've had NR2003 racing videos already on youtube been copyright claimed because the car engine sounded like a chant from India (no joke). Now imagine that absurd level of automated flagging on every site you visit that has any way to post images/videos.

4. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Strikes me as the EU is looking to control media/social consumption outlets in some form or another, through one method or another.

Bad enough you can go to jail in some places FOR A TWEET that hurts someones feelings, so they label it under the guise of 'hate speech' and boom! see you in 2-5 years. Now this. Anyone else offhandedly know which countries also do something like this outside of the EU?

The list is likely going to be made of of countries any intelligent person/government wouldn't want to be associated with in that regard....

Mystical likes this.
  5. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

I definitely see these systems being abused outside of their intended designs and as the line moves farther away people will just begin to accept it is "this is the way tings are now". Either EU Countries or all of EU are going to do things to people they shouldn't be like censoring content that doesn't actually fall under the law, dictating the law on people who are not even part of the EU (like America), fake companies claiming link taxes, and so on and so forth.

It will be a total mess.

6. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

I'm just going to leave this here. One, because it's probably fairly accurate, and two, it made me laugh despite the absolute load of crap the EU keeps piling onto it's people that trickles onto other countries....
    55474771_547285305800454_2658472021922414592_n.jpg

Shockey Rai likes this.