1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Boy Scouts of America changes it's name.

Discussion in 'Politics/Religion' started by MrDude68, May 2, 2018.

1. JeffJordan

JeffJordan My name is no longer Jeff Jordan

Girl Scouts have been changing for the past decade or so. There are more STEM-related programs in Girl Scouts but it's still a different program. Not to mention, if Girl Scouts were exactly the same program, what about the girls who would have preferred the original Girl Scout experience? My point is, they should have the option to choose their experience.

Darren Ingram and dalejr88rox like this.
  2. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Video editor, Meme Police, and certified B.A.M.F.

The main counter point I'd have to this is that having the Boy Scouts accept girls is a much smaller and easier change than literally changing everything about the Girl Scouts. The Boy Scouts already have this infrastructurenset up, so in theory it's a much easier change.

The other problem with that is that changing The Girl Scouts to that type of program isolates those who are happy with the current system. We can all sit here and say "change the Girl Scouts to be more camping oriented" but all that does is isolate those who are already in the Girl Scouts organization.

Accepting girls in to the Boy Scouts, in my opinion, is a much easier and doable transformation than asking an entire organization to change their mission

3. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Accepting girls into the Boy Scouts is NOT the easier solution. Definitely not. Boy Scouts turns boys into men, and girls are not like boys, no matter how much people try to say everyone is the same now. Why is it so hard for people to accept that men and women are fundamentally different? That's what necessitates the separation of genders for these clubs. Using the same formula is not going to give the best results on both sides. And that goes even deeper than the programming.

nj9703, 4WideRacing and BrendonH12 like this.
  4. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

Because it's easier to push the boys over than the girls?

5. JeffJordan

You're painting entire groups of people into a corner. Not all women are alike and not all men are alike. What evidence do you have to back up any of this?

dalejr88rox likes this.
  6. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Video editor, Meme Police, and certified B.A.M.F.

I know plenty of "men" who weren't ever Boy Scouts. Being in a club as a kid doesn't make you into a man. Sorry if the presence of girls makes you feel uncomfortable about your masculinity. That's a problem I've never felt, so I pity you.
    What the fuck is this even supposed to mean?

7. MrDude68

Can we have a civilized discussion please?

4WideRacing and BrendonH12 like this.
  8. MrDude68

You're right that they're not different in every way, but they are different in fundamental ways. Both biologically and psychologically. It starts with the chromosomes, X and Y. Would you mind if I ask you to explain why you think males and females are not different?

4WideRacing and nj9703 like this.
  9. JeffJordan

I'll rephrase. They are different, but there's no reason to treat them any differently.

Biologically speaking - girls and boys don't tend to differentiate that greatly in height and size until they hit high school. I was consistently the smallest kid in my class until I was about 15. Nobody told me that I was incapable of stuff that Scouts would do because of that disadvantage.

Psychologically speaking - many people misinterpret those psychological differences as having real impact on career choice, causing us to limit what both women and men can do. Women usually have a larger hippocampus and tend to be more emotional, but that is not always the case. That also has no bearing on somebody's career capabilities.

Most of these differences are imagined as having a much greater impact than they actually do.

10. MrDude68

If you're talking about equality (which it sounds like you are), then I agree with you. Men and women should not be treated unequally. But by my interpretation, that principle doesn't really apply to this situation. Now I'd like to hear why equality requires that girls should be admitted into the Boy Scouts. Can't we still have separate clubs for boys and girls?
    I agree with you here, and can even identify with this. I was one of the shortest kids in my class until the 8th grade. I think the argument that girls are incapable of participating in stereotypically male activities is ludicrous.
    Again, I agree with you here, but I don't see how this applies to the Boy Scout debate. Boys and girls still mature and develop differently, and that's rooted in fact. And since that's the case, and the Boy Scouts were designed to serve boys and help them grow and develop into principled young men, it makes sense to keep it boys only.

BrendonH12 and nj9703 like this.
  11. labontefanboy

labontefanboy Well-Known Member

I feel like, at least on paper, the easiest solution would be to create a new organization. Keep the Boy Scouts for boys, keep the Girl Scouts for girls, and create a new scouting group for both genders who want to participate in the types of activities that aren't restricted to being one for any specific gender. Realistically that's way easier said than done but I feel like that would've been the solution that made the most sense, there's no doubt that there's benefits to both segregating genders at times and mixing them together at other times. I personally don't really care about girls being added to Boy Scouts since I hated it for the 2 years I was in it but I'd completely understand frustration from current Boy Scouts whose entire organization's structure just got pretty drastically altered without them really having a say.

EarnhardtFan likes this.
  12. Thunder98

Thunder98 Same shit, different day. Admin

Just call it the Youth Scouts of America and be done with it.

13. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

^or do nothing and be done :)

BrendonH12 likes this.
  14. USSTalladega

USSTalladega I see you mate.

Sounds like the Girl Scouts need to get their stuff together and make some big changes. Then there would be no need for this in the first place. Literally no reason why the Girl Scouts can't be just as outdoors based. Though I do like the idea of a third option where both boys and girls can do the same activities together.

15. JeffJordan

Does that fact matter in this situation? Plenty of stuff was designed and changed over time, and I don't see how helping boys grow and develop into men would be impacted by letting girls in.

16. MrDude68

Because making it co-ed changes the whole dynamic.

puckhogg11 and 4WideRacing like this.
  17. JeffJordan

How so? I feel like you've said/implied that a few times without stating why.

18. MrDude68

Well, have you ever observed what happens in a boys' group when you start adding girls? The guys can't let loose anymore. Their behavior changes because of those fundamental differences we were talking about earlier.

19. labontefanboy

labontefanboy Well-Known Member

Are the boys and girls actually going to be together though? I thought they were still separating the actual groups or "troops" or whatever they call them by gender, just allowing both guys and girls in the organization.

20. JeffJordan

What exactly do you mean by "let loose"?