1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

Boy Scouts of America changes it's name.

Discussion in 'Politics/Religion' started by MrDude68, May 2, 2018.

1. bubbadodge

bubbadodge Well-Known Member

In my ideas, most people in today's era would say "it's not sexist if a girl tried to join the boy scouts but it'd be sexist if a boy tried to join the girl scouts". Double standards exist no matter what, so I don't know why it'd be weird if a boy tried to join the girl scouts.
    *edit* also, i don't have the exact understanding of sexism, but I'm guessing that'd be it? idk.

2. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

No, sexism would be if they didn't have a problem with a girl joining boy scouts but had a problem with a boy joining girl scouts. Just thought I'd kind of correct you/let you know.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    bubbadodge likes this.
  3. bubbadodge

bubbadodge Well-Known Member

Gotcha, Thanks haha. I'm not good with politics or terms related to politics.

EarnhardtFan likes this.
  4. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

If they will be completely separated why not just have the girl scouts start their own outdoor section or whatever

ThatOneShredder and puckhogg11 like this.
  5. JeffJordan

JeffJordan Yes, my name is actually Jeff Jordan

If you're arguing that the Boy Scouts shouldn't change, then why are you arguing that the Girl Scouts should change?

6. puckhogg11

puckhogg11 Well-Known Member

You are missing the point entirely. The BOY Scouts should remain for boys and the GIRL Scouts should remain for girls. There is zero chance of the Girl Scouts allowing a boy to enter so why should the Boy Scouts have to let a girl join?

4WideRacing and BrendonH12 like this.
  7. thedude1987

thedude1987 Happy Husband, proud papa, racer, and designer!

I say screw having boy scouts and girl scouts. This isnt the 1920s where we are unequal, racist pigs. Merge them together and name it the "YOUTH SCOUTS OF AMERICA"

crazyboy335 and ThatOneShredder like this.
  8. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Dude, this is the problem. People think that having separate organizations for boys and girls is "unequal." How is that unequal? Girls don't need to invade every male space. If they want better activities, more prestigious ranks, etc then they should take it up with the Girl Scouts. Just because the door was closed for girls doesn't mean they needed to fight to get in.

4WideRacing likes this.
  9. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Well-Known Member

Haven’t we had this whole “separate but equal” thing before? How’d that turn out? How equal was it?

JeffJordan likes this.
  10. thedude1987

thedude1987 Happy Husband, proud papa, racer, and designer!

I just feel that it we want to get rid of the bullshit in life. Having 2 separate organizations organizations IMO is saying the wrong things to our youth (aka separation of race/gender/religion is okay) I have a 3 year old son whos going to grow up in a shit world because everyone wants to cry racism or inequality... What happened to "love everybody" or treat others equal Thats what I was raised with.....

11. MrDude68

That's really not a fair comparison though. On one hand, you're talking about government-funded public facilities, and on the other hand you're talking about a private club.
    I don't think that's accurate either. I think it's damaging to society when we tell our kids that if they are excluded from anything, it automatically means there's a problem and someone else is a terrible, evil person. That's why people always scream racism, sexism, etc these days, because they can't fathom that maybe there is a real reason behind separating things. Like bathrooms for example. It should be obvious that males and females need separate facilities, for their own safety and privacy. But all people see sometimes is separation by gender, and they automatically throw a red flag. It's the same thing here. Boys and girls are different, and sometimes they need different spaces. Sometimes they need the same spaces, too. But when they are separated, it doesn't always have to point to inequality.

12. JeffJordan

Why should it remain that way? You're not really stating why. This amounts more to "I don't like it" than having an actual reason.

A hundred years ago, men were saying that when women started to work factory jobs. It'll be okay.

Have you ever been excluded from something valuable because of your identity from birth? It's just...crappy. And there's no need for it even though you insist there is one. It's less a matter of "someone is a terrible person" and more a matter of freedom. It's fine to exclude someone from a space for good reasons - that's why we have a sex offender registry. But if the reason is just "boys can't be boys" that's not much of a reason at all. If boys can't be boys because of something bad they do to girls, why is that behavior acceptable? I'm aware that last sentence is not something you said specifically, but I've seen it around when researching this debate.

Darren Ingram likes this.
  13. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Well-Known Member

It’s the same premise though. Two separate but equal clubs will not end up being equal.

14. MrDude68

I know this was a response to someone else's post, but I feel like I've already answered that question several times over in this thread.
    So you're saying this is an issue because girls can't attain the Eagle rank? Again, why don't they push for a better award in the Girl Scouts? It's not impossible. The Eagle Scout badge has gained prestige over time because it's hard to get. So, make a similar award for the Girl Scouts.
    But boys aren't doing a bad thing. You just don't think it's important for boys to have their own time, and I do. "Boys need to have time to be boys" is a sufficient reason for me. Inadvertently, girls don't get the opportunity to become Eagle Scouts, but that's life. Not everything is perfectly even. But if girls want that sort of opportunity, they can always pressure the Girl Scouts for it.
    I respectfully disagree.
    They're private clubs. You can't force everything to be equal. Some people are born to parents who make six figure salaries, and some are born to parents who live in a straw hut. Is that fair? No, it's unfortunate. But that's life.

puckhogg11 likes this.
  15. JeffJordan

I'm asking you to get more specific because I still don't really understand. You said girls and boys mature differently but you didn't state why that matters, and you didn't elaborate when I asked what boys being allowed to "let loose" means.

Girls haven't even been able to participate in activities with Boy Scouts because of their gender for no good reason either than it makes some people uncomfortable.

So why is it important to you? I'm a dude. I can see the importance personally. Sometimes I need to get away from my girlfriend, or any of my other friends, or my mom. On an organizational level, it's 2018, I feel like organizations shouldn't be allowed to exclude people from a certain space.

16. MrDude68

I appreciate hearing everybody's opinions on this, but I feel like at this point I'm going to be treading the same ground over and over. I knew some of us were not going to see eye to eye, which is fine, and I don't want to consume any more of my time on this. I've said everything I wanted to say.

4WideRacing and puckhogg11 like this.