1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

Buying New Graphics Card Need Suggestion!

Discussion in 'NR2003 - PC Support and Troubleshooting' started by Evolution9, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Evolution9

Evolution9 I'm Somewhat A Talent!

Hi there I had bought new pc not to long ago ever since I got the game my fps has been really low.I been thinking of actually buying graphics card to see if it helps.My machine is basically a Dell,

But here is the information of my PC hopen that do need upgrade my gpu.

Attached Files:

2. sadlerfan21

sadlerfan21 Fence-Catch - Austin, 2017

Here is a good video to start in helping with you will need to look out for:
    The basic summary is that you want to make sure of what graphics cards your motherboard supports based on the PCI slots. You will also need to know if your power supply will support one with the proper connectors and if it even has enough power. You will also need to make sure your case will support a new graphics card and make sure it isn't to big. I would also suggest maybe upgrading your ram too if possible.

3. hammeredman

hammeredman Well-Known Member

The Intel E8400 is a little bit older, I think Intel stopped making that socket in 2012. Not sure what games you play, but I'm obviously gonna assume NR2003. As sadlerfan pointed out, prebuilts can be tricky because you don't know the Power Supply capacity or if it has extra connections, it's harder to read how much space you're working with, etc. One thing you also need to consider is CPU bottlenecking. You don't want to get a GPU that is too powerful for your CPU to keep up.

All that aside, I think something like a Nvidia 750, or an AMD r7 250 might be up your alley. They're lower end cards that pack a good punch for their price, which is about $90. They're small cards, so space shouldn't be a problem, and most cards depending on the brand do not need any extra power connectors aside from the slot itself. Fairly certain they would be a good match your CPU too.

4. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

After googling the Dell Optiplex 780 if you have the Minitower you either have the 305 watt or 255 watt psu from the factory unless it has been upgraded, if you have the 255watt you might want to upgrade that if you're going to get a graphics card. You can also max out ram to 8gb. As for a graphics card stick with one that doesn't need an extra power connector if you are sticking with the factory power supply like the ones hammeredman mentioned.

5. Evolution9

Thanks you guys I will do what hammeredman said and then later on I'll upgrade my ram when I have more money.

6. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

Newegg usually has a great sale on RAM on black friday so keep an eye on that site around then.

Evolution9 likes this.
  7. Exterminator

Exterminator Well-Known Member

Based upon my experience and that of two friends, do not buy a GTX-750Ti! It causes screen freeze problems with this sim even with older drivers. I found many cases of others with the same issue posted on the internet with the same problem. The common denominator seems to be the GTX-750Ti with Windows 10. The card performed well for me in both Windows 7 and Windows XP on the same machine(multi-boot). I even got a new card under warranty, and the problem was still present. It will even freeze the screen if you let the game sit idle. Sometimes in a few minutes, sometimes in an hour or more, but it will happen! The GTX-950 works perfectly with Windows 10.

8. Alan Harkleroad

Alan Harkleroad SRD Site Administrator Admin

I recommend an AMD, the reason being with Windows 10 and it myriad of compatibility issues drivers seem to be very reliable, where with NVIDIA one release they will work the next they wont either by a patch from MS or NVIDIA. Now this is only based on building around NR2003. Total gaming I would still recommend a AMD RX 480 for a budget build or a 1060 GTX. If you are not worried about money then obviously a 1070/1080 is a very nice card. But keep in mind a bunch of new cards are coming in Q1 2017 so those that were new this year will be on sale very soon to make way for the next iteration.

ShadowKnight508 and Evolution9 like this.
  9. Evolution9

For sure I am getting an AMD graphic card this here http://www.ebay.com/itm/262678194042 what I have in mind so far got wait for my next pay to busy paying bills now.

10. ZRacingFan

ZRacingFan Well-Known Member

FYI, For AMD cards the last few updates broke NR2003 and caused it to not boot but if you go back to older drivers from August of this year they work fine. I have not tired the latest 16.11.4. drivers and am using 16.8.2 (I think) and they work very well for NR2003.

11. TColeman12

TColeman12 #88Forever

Welll, if you do change your mind and are interested in a GTX card. Alan is right, the 1070/1080 are good cards right now, but if you want something a bit cheaper, check out the GTX 960. That's what I have.

12. Evolution9

That their maybe be something like down the road,when I got that kind of money,but I check into that when I have the money though.

13. ZRacingFan

ZRacingFan Well-Known Member

If you are going for the cheap AMD look at the HD 7970 Ghz version. It is an older card but still works really well and is great for NR2003. I noticed no FPS increase going from that card to a R9 390. Best of all you can get it cheap for <100.

14. Evolution9

You guy's I have bought a graphic card to big need help to get right one for me my one bought was to tall and big my infor top of page but my tower is dell optiplex 780.The graphic card I had bought is an msi Radeon R7 250 it didn't fit need help of getting right size and good graphic card any help would be helpful.

15. Alan Harkleroad

Buy a nice big case, will be under $100 on average and just transfer your components over. Then you can buy any component later instead of trying to make things fit. Also cases dont wear out when you buy a third party one so its a cheap but long term investment.

Evolution9 likes this.
  16. Evolution9

Alright I well do this...thanks!

17. Alan Harkleroad

Feel free to ask any questions you have when you try to pick one out.

18. Evolution9

I recently purchased a Nvidia Geforce GT 710 and it fit's in my tower,but I'm still getting low fps with some graphic's option's on low any way their setting's for this or I just bought another card that is worthless for my computer?

19. sadlerfan21

sadlerfan21 Fence-Catch - Austin, 2017

Well the first thing you would want to do is make sure you have your drivers installed and up to date. The next thing you want to is to reconfigure the graphics for NR2003 and select your graphics card as the render device. Now I have found I get a little better performance in OpenGL compared to DirectX but that is something you may not experience. The card itself seems to be on the lower end of things. Now I don't know what your budget is or how large space you have to work with is, but I maybe would want to look for something a bit better. I know Nvidia has quite a few small, potent GPU options for the most part that are affordable, but try the above if you haven't already to see if you can get it to work.

Alan Harkleroad and TColeman12 like this.