1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Carl Edwards to Joe Gibbs Racing in 2015

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by AMLNet49, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMLNet49

AMLNet49 Well-Known Member

No one really knows what will happen, but after hinting that he can't win a championship at Roush-Fenway, the JGR rumors are swirling again. Some of the questions are whether Carl's sponsors would follow him to JGR, and what will happent to the 99 car if it is vacated. Would Roush bring up Ryan Reed or Chris Buescher who don't appear ready, or perhaps bring someone else in from elsewhere in the Cup series, there are plenty of solid drivers in mid-pack equipment that could benefit from a good ride and who don't have strong manufaturer ties (Allgair, Bowman, the FRM guys). There is also Trevor Bayne, but his status with the Wood Brothers makes that situation a bit odd.

2. FloridaFan88

FloridaFan88 Well-Known Member

I think Edwards will leave. He won't make that mistake to stay with Roush again after what Matt Kenseth did last year.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

3. evan07

evan07 Well-Known Member

If Edwards does go to JGR I will have to find a new favorite driver. Wish Roger would add a third car for Carl which isn't going to happen I'm sure.

4. KyleBuschFan18

KyleBuschFan18 2015 Cup Series Champion

I can see Edwards leaving and going to JGR in the 81 possibly or the 02 and Bayne in the 99 or 6 with Advocare or Ford backing or Roush just completely dissolving the 99, but Edwards seems pretty content with Roush at the moment.

5. K.Chuck

K.Chuck --Hijinxtattoo--

close my eyes and plug my ears to all this, Carl stays in the 99!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

I would think Trevor would get the #99 if enough sponsors were left for it. Not sure if Carl has any better seats available to him than he has right now.

XD

7. DannyM

DannyM Well-Known Member

If Carl leaves the 99, Roush would have to look outside of the program for a driver to replace him, IMO. Nobody, not even Trevor, driving for RFR in Nationwide is ready for cup. I'd have to offer Regan Smith or maybe even Sam Hornish the ride. I wouldn't touch Elliott Sadler though, hehe.

8. Relly

Relly Well-Known Member

I think Carl leaves but I'm struggling as to where. I think JGR is the only realistic possibility. Penske said he's not expanding and for some reason I actually believe that. RCR could be a possibility but I think in the end they'll stick with 3 teams and current drivers they have until Ty's ready. Hendrick and SHR are at their limits, Ganassi & MWR would be a lateral move from RFR, imo and JTG and RPM quite frankly would be a step back.

So in the end I do think he leaves and by default it will be for JGR.

As for the 99 I think it will be Trevor Bayne, he's a marketable driver that sponsors would want to associate with. Chris Buescher just isn't ready yet (although I think he's the best young RFR driver) and I don't see Ryan Reed with this team past this year, even with the money he brings.

9. hammeredman

hammeredman Well-Known Member

Chris Buescher? Ryan Reed? That's kinda laughable at this point, especially the latter. Maybe a James Buescher, but other than him a Bayne, I see no other driver even worth mentioning to call up to Cup.

Roush is really in a tough spot right now. Roush needs Edwards more than Edwards needs him. Sponsors, results, and ultimately money all seem dependent on Edwards decision.

10. EatSpit24

EatSpit24 Well-Known Member

Trevor Bayne has waited patiently for his turn for 6 years. He's also a MUCH better cup driver than nationwide driver and consistently outruns Stenhouse while driving the #21 until they either blow up or blow it on pit road. As for Edwards.. Denny Hamlin needs to be dropped from JGR and Edwards should be their new driver. Denny won't win a championship there.

11. Chevellion

Chevellion Former SRD Cup League Director

My money says Ford keeps Edwards in the fold by sending him to Penske.

12. Willjr3129

Willjr3129 Well-Known Member

Not that it matters, but I'm a Hendricks fan and I would have liked to see him go after Carl in the 5 instead of Kahne. He's not the driver that Carl is in my opinion.

13. thejet53

thejet53 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Carl Edwards with Joe Gibbs Racing. I'm not really sure I can see JGR expanding to four cars. Unless there's something I don't know of, but has JGR talked about expanding?

14. B.McKeever

B.McKeever Well-Known Member

From what we have heard about FedEx/JGR no longer being impressed by Hamlin, we may just see a swap. Edwards in the # 11 FedEx Toyota - Hamlin in the # 99 Fastenal Ford.

15. 4WideRacing

When is Denny's contract up? Is it this year or next?

16. evan07

evan07 Well-Known Member

I looked on Jayski and it said "2015?" so I guess his contract details are not public information.

17. 4WideRacing

Hmm. On the #11 team page Jayski said 2014+. Maybe it's up this year with an option of one or more additional years.

18. ayrwolf

ayrwolf Where ever your're at, there you are

Ford will somehow get involved to keep him with a Ford team. IMO he is the most polished of all the Ford drivers when it comes to PR

19. Brandon Howe

Brandon Howe Track Creator at NR Track Designs

He's not really that important to Ford as a company as he is with his sponsors, such as Subway. Now if memory serves me correct, Subway was with JGR at a point for a few years off and on with Tony, but never followed him to SHR. Could it be possible that we see Subway follow Carl over to JGR?

My real question is if/after Carl leaves, what exactly will happen to RFR? I see a DEI type situation happening IMO, where after Carl [Dale Jr.] leaves, RFR [DEI] is left to hire lesser drivers and eventually the team will fall apart or merge in with another.

20. EatSpit24

EatSpit24 Well-Known Member

They won't because the difference is RFR isn't run by a jackass.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.