Downloads
Updated

Carl Edwards to Joe Gibbs Racing in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlEdwardsRulz

Can someone change that to Joey Logano?
Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately Carl taking the 99 to another team is a lost cause. It sucks, I really like him being #99.

RP Motorsports

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately Carl taking the 99 to another team is a lost cause. It sucks, I really like him being #99.
Yea, I'll tell you what though. Back in 2007 when Earnhardt Jr. was making his move, the vast majority of his fans wanted to see him keep the #8. People couldn't imagine him running a different number. I was one of them, too. I had the "Free the 8" shirt, decals, and all of that. And I certainly made some misguided/heat-of-the-moment comments about Teresa at the time.

But looking back on it now, I'm glad he changed numbers. People can say all they want about "its just a number" - which often comes up in the Dale Sr. #3 discussions - but the fact of the matter is, its not just a number - at least not in NASCAR. The number becomes a big part of an identity/brand identity. Whether it be the driver, the team, the sponsor, or whatever else, theres a lot of weight and significance these numbers (specific stylized versions) carry, especially in this day and age of licensing, marketing, and merchandising.

So thats why I ended up liking Earnhardt Jr. having a new number. It was a new chapter in his racing career. The #8 was the old DEI chapter, and the #88 is the new/current HMS chapter. Edwards is starting a new chapter with JGR, and with that will come a new number, all kinds of new exciting merchandise, and a new brand identity of sorts.

CarlEdwardsRulz

Can someone change that to Joey Logano?
Reaction score
I remember that whole deal about everyone wanting Dale Jr to be able to take the number with him. I had forgotten that it was called "free the 8".

That is a nice way to look at it being a new chapter with a new team. I think the number thing is the one little detail I'm most curious about now, haha. The number and stylization of the number is so important for fans following their drivers. When you get use to seeing your drivers number styled a certain way for so long it takes on a whole identity that you connect with.

RP Motorsports

Reaction score
I remember that whole deal about everyone wanting Dale Jr to be able to take the number with him. I had forgotten that it was called "free the 8".

That is a nice way to look at it being a new chapter with a new team. I think the number thing is the one little detail I'm most curious about now, haha. The number and stylization of the number is so important for fans following their drivers. When you get use to seeing your drivers number styled a certain way for so long it takes on a whole identity that you connect with.
Yea, thats usually what I'm most curious to see when a driver changes teams. What is the number going to be, and what is it going to look like. And then whats the sponsor and the paint scheme. Because that becomes the new racing and brand identity.

Hopefully JGR will have a show car on hand for the announcement. Granted, they often go through revisions before actually hitting the track, but it would at least give us a peek at his number and what he'll possibly be driving next year. I'm not sure I have a guess yet as to what the number will be (I hope its not 81), but if anyone knows what numbers Edwards might've driven earlier on in life, that could be a possibility.

PMax

Reaction score
JOE GIBBS RACING ANNOUNCEMENT SET FOR TUESDAY
August 14, 2014, Staff report, NASCAR.com

Joe Gibbs Racing announcement set for Tuesday
Fans can watch it live on NASCAR.com at 10 a.m. ET

Joe Gibbs Racing will be holding a press conference at its Huntersville, North Carolina headquarters on Tuesday, August 19 at 10 a.m. ET.

According to the team, "This unprecedented announcement will have impact across four NASCAR racing series." It will be streamed live on NASCAR.com.

JGR currently fields three Sprint Cup Series teams with drivers Denny Hamlin, Kyle Busch and Matt Kenseth.

The organization also fields three Nationwide Series teams with full-time driver Elliott Sadler in the No. 11. The No. 20 car has been driven this season by Kenseth, Kenny Habul, Sam Hornish Jr., Michael McDowell, NASCAR Next driver Erik Jones and NASCAR Drive for Diversity drivers Daniel Suarez and Darrell Wallace Jr. Busch and Hornish run the No. 54 car.

At Indianapolis last month, the NASCAR Wire Service reported that team owner Joe Gibbs was asked about the possibility of adding a fourth Sprint Cup team. 

Below is an excerpt from the NASCAR Wire Service report.

"We've been (preparing for a fourth team) each and every year," Gibbs said. "But it's so hard to do that, we haven't been able to get it done. But I think we're taking a serious look at it this year."

Asked if those efforts involved signing a serious driver, Gibbs replied, "You've got to have a serious sponsor."

But he did acknowledge Carl Edwards' star power.

"When Carl's name came up during this year ... almost everybody recognizes Carl as being somebody I think is a star," Gibbs said. "Because of that, there are a lot of teams that have tried to entice him."

brt3

Reaction score
It was reported a while back that Carl would be sponsored by Toyota Care and "a sponsor currently with another driver". I thought it was going to be 3M before the Gordon announcement. Any word on what tag sponsor is from another team? McDonalds? DeWalt? Charter?

And in the prediction above, NO WAY Elliott Sadler goes back to RPM. I don't think either Sadler or RPM wants to work together again. David Regan or Sam Hornish will be in the 9.

AMLNet49

Reaction score
I can't see Ragan leaving FRM, he seems to really like it there even though they really aren't competitive. He does have some big name sponsors but for not enough races, like his teammate. If he could get CSX for about 5-10 more and Farm Rich for 5-10 more, they could be in business and get better Ford stuff

Cody Ficker

@ApocApollo
Banned
Reaction score
JOE GIBBS RACING ANNOUNCEMENT SET FOR TUESDAY
August 14, 2014, Staff report, NASCAR.com

According to the team, "This unprecedented announcement will have impact across four NASCAR racing series." It will be streamed live on NASCAR.com.

My money says Joe Gibbs Racing to acquire Kyle Busch Motorsports.

PMax

Reaction score
My money says Joe Gibbs Racing to acquire Kyle Busch Motorsports.
Really that won't happn since KBM is all ready apart with JGR with the devolving driver for trucks. It's going be about Carl Edwards and nationalwide.

4WideRacing

Reaction score
Really that won't happn since KBM is all ready apart with JGR with the devolving driver for trucks. It's going be about Carl Edwards and nationalwide.
It is a possibility though to consolidate the resources and all. But I don't see Kyle or Samantha wanting to let go of it right now.

dalejr88rox

Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread
Banned
Reaction score
It was reported a while back that Carl would be sponsored by Toyota Care and "a sponsor currently with another driver". I thought it was going to be 3M before the Gordon announcement. Any word on what tag sponsor is from another team? McDonalds? DeWalt? Charter?

And in the prediction above, NO WAY Elliott Sadler goes back to RPM. I don't think either Sadler or RPM wants to work together again. David Regan or Sam Hornish will be in the 9.
Not hating on you or anything, but he's been around since 2006 and people still can't spell his name right? XD

brt3

Reaction score
Not hating on you or anything, but he's been around since 2006 and people still can't spell his name right? XD
I know, Regan Smith throws me off. Sometimes I spell it Ragan Smith and David Regan. Which is weird because I have no problem spelling Allmendinger or Keselowski. I started a season one time with Marcus Ambrose. It's always the simple ones....

FloridaFan88

Reaction score
According to Jim Utter of the Charlotte Observer, Carl Edwards will be driving the #19 Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing. Formal announcement is tomorrow at 10am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthew124

Banned
Reaction score
According to Jim Utter of the Charlotte Observer, Carl Edwards will be driving the #19 Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing. Formal announcement is tomorrow at 10am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup! Here's the whole article -

Carl Edwards will be introduced on Tuesday as Joe Gibbs Racing newest driver in the Sprint Cup Series beginning in the 2015 season, multiple sources confirmed Monday night.

That much isn't a big surprise.

However, JGR will also be welcoming a new sponsor to NASCAR - Arris - which will adorn Edwards' No. 19 Toyota for roughly half the season. Arris is a communications technology company specializing in the design and engineering of broadband networks.

Arris' involvement in NASCAR will go far behind just sponsorship of Edwards. Details will be announced during Tuesday morning's news conference at JGR headquarters in Huntersville, N.C.

instantCLASSIC

Gokai Change!
Reaction score
I've never really been a fan of the #19, but it'll have to do. He'll join a long line of #19s like Loy Allen Jr, Casey Atwood, Jeremy Mayfield and Elliott Sadler....oh yay.

As for Arris, my modem is an Arris modem, and it's a new sponsor for NASCAR, so let's do it!

S. Yogurt

Reaction score
Well the #19 and Arris? I can't say I expected this. Fine with me though. Cousin Carl and Kyle on the same team? My two favorite drivers? I'm all for it.

Matthew124

Banned
Reaction score
Well the #19 and Arris? I can't say I expected this. Fine with me though. Cousin Carl and Kyle on the same team? My two favorite drivers? I'm all for it.
Dude, they are my two favorite drivers too. Did we just become best friends!?

Matthew124

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, the fourth series would have to be the K&N Series. I believe Cody Coughlin will be moved into that series from ARCA.

EDIT: Anyone think maybe Carl will drive the No. 19 hence the announcement coming on the 19th? Just a craz thought.
Guess I'm not so crazy now.. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.