1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

Carl Edwards won’t race in 2017

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by Smoke14TS, Jan 10, 2017.

1. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

Was that meant to be funny? :p

BrendonH12 likes this.
  2. MWick4

MWick4 How is this a fair race? My crew chief is a Morty.

Besides the obvious looks to see him in a broadcast booth one day, I was intrigued as Carl spoke that he mentioned that he may one day be interested into going into the management side of Motorsports.. I would love to see him do this or find something close to the sport to come back to. Regardless I understand his want to step away and nobody should expect him to go crazy finding something new to do because the guy just wants a break from the rough life of being on the circuit.

As for Daniel if anyone were to take the 19 over I'm glad it's him. He's very charismatic and a good promoter of sponsors as Carl is. Also seems to be a great all-around guy. Definitely see him possibly winning this year, and getting to listen to him pronounce things, like him saying "Daye Royers", will be a plus.

3. labontefanboy

labontefanboy Well-Known Member

Didn't watch the press conference, but could he possibly be sugar-coating his disappointment of the near-miss by saying he "just wants to do something else"? This is the 4th time he's come up JUST shy of winning, and each of the previous times he struggled the following year. Is it possible that he's just tired of losing, and is choosing to step away because of that? By labeling it as "wanting to do something else" he wouldn't deal with the stigma of people saying he's a sore loser or a quitter or anything like that.

4. Matthew124

Matthew124 Well-Known Member Banned

NASCAR fans are going to contribute to the "Great tinfoil shortage of 2017!" based on Edwards announcement alone.

I'll just be in the corner crying for a few more hours.

NascarMan32 and BrendonH12 like this.
  5. CarlEdwardsRulz

CarlEdwardsRulz Started as a Rusty Wallace fan

Not ageeeing or disagreeing with you... but do you blame them?...

6. Matthew124

Yes. NASCAR fans have this new obsession with turning anything they dislike or don't understand into a conspiracy. People had already came to their own conclusion about this yesterday and nothing that was said today was going to change their view.

It's ridiculous that instead of celebrating his career, we're turning tinfoil into hats.

7. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Well you have to consider that this highly important news came completely out of nowhere with no given explanation until this morning. And even Carl's explanation at the press conference today seemed vague and/or incomplete. People are just having a hard time dealing with it.

TJBartel and Spike like this.
  8. Matthew124

I'm having a hard time dealing with my favorite driver walking away, too. You don't see me running around talking about how Carlos Slim paid Gibbs off to get Suarez in the car and how Carl purposefully threw the race at Homestead because NASCAR didn't want an outgoing driver winning the championship. That is just one of the theories I've heard. I'm not trying to knock anyone having a hard time dealing with this. Hell, y'all can come to my house and we'll cry into our tub of ice cream together. It's okay to not understand but looking for "evidence" ("There is underlying issues, look at his press conference!") to back up what you're (not *you*) already taking as fact is the wrong approach. Listen, I'm not trying to tell people how to feel or react. Just trying to say that everything isn't a conspiracy theory.

9. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

That's why I stay off of NASCAR's Facebook. Half of those people just seem like trolls who couldn't actually believe what they're saying.

10. Matthew124

Ha, true that. I'm realizing now that my posts read like I'm referring to people here and I wasn't. Should've been more clear about that.

Shockey Rai and 4WideRacing like this.
  11. CarlEdwardsRulz

It's all good. I think most of us understood. This particular story just came up in such a shocking way... with Carl already showing up in videos for 2017... how is one supposed to be ready for him to say he's done?...

Also with things being a little unclear as to how this came about, it's natural that I and others want to guess as to what has happened here...

12. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 I Am Indy

What if he and Biff team up and field a car in 2018 like the rumors suggest? Neither of them want to stop racing and they both have a background with Ford.

13. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 One Last Ride - Homestead

14. KahneRacing945

KahneRacing945 "AWWW NOODLES!"

Just watched part of his conference, technically he never said he was 'retiring'.

15. chevy29

chevy29 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like a guy that wants to kick back and enjoy life more than he is able to do behind the wheel!!

CarlEdwardsRulz likes this.
  16. The_Dolfan

The_Dolfan #Chasing8

I think he'll be back in 2019 full-time. Sounded like he just needed a break.

17. NascarMan32

NascarMan32 Well-Known Moron

Wow, this was really unexpected, especially considering how close he was to a championship last year!! I've always liked Carl, he brings/brought a lot of charisma to the sport. Sad to see him go.

18. Dodgeman4345

Dodgeman4345 Well-Known Member

I feel your pain Matthew124. Carl was not the favorite of mine but he was in the Top 5 of my favorite drivers and closer to the front. I have only seen him on TV but he seemed like one of the nicest guys in the garage. The part that sticks out for me is the sunglasses. I think some of the other drivers took notice to that and started doing it too. I was a little upset when he first went to Joe Gibbs and Toyota. He gave me a reason to root for them. I really thought he had his best chance to win the championship with Gibbs. I was really pulling for him at Homstead last year. To me, he pretty much had the title in hand until it literally came crashing down. It sucked but I was looking forward to seeing him fight for it again this year. From what I had heard with the press conference was it was kind of vague and really didn't answer the questions. The one question I would have is why so sudden? Why not run a final year and announce it as you are retiring at the end of the year. I think that's why all of the fans are in such shock because it was so sudden. If he went one more year then I think we would have all been better prepared to see him go. Hopefully he will either stay or come back to NASCAR in some form. I think it would be really good for the sport.

Matthew124 likes this.
  19. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Cruising at Warp 9

Man, Daytona is gonna feel so weird. No Tony, no Biff and now no Carl. Definitely wont sink in until after the fact no doubt. Still in shock about this.

20. CarlEdwardsRulz

I have unpopular opinions of this subject now after a week or so has gone... it's not my place to call out anyone for quitting their job... I've been there before, I just didn't get the gracious support of so many people praising my move to quit...and then want to vote me into a hall of fame. Must be nice.

Spike likes this.