1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Chevrolet Discontinues SS, New Model Coming in 2018

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by dyerseve, May 27, 2017.

1. dyerseve

dyerseve Well-Known Member

Chevrolet will announce their 2018 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series car during a press conference on August 10 in Detroit. The current Cup model, the Chevrolet SS, is being discontinued this year.
    From Jayski...

2. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Barring the release of a new model (which I highly doubt Chevrolet will do), it's going to come down to the Malibu or the Impala. While the Impala, aero-wise, is more in-keeping with the other manufacturers, GM has a habit of using a car model in which they wish to boost sales, which, in that case, points to the Malibu.

3. KyleBuschFan18

KyleBuschFan18 2015 Cup Series Champion

I really hope it's the Impala, the new Malibu is the ugliest car I've ever seen.

4. jacobc62

jacobc62 The OG NASCAR Tiger.

Inb4 they bring back the Monte Carlo. :p

I know, wishful thinking, but I must be the only person who doesn't like the look of the newer Impala on a stock-car body......

5. Julio Chang

Julio Chang On the list of Jericho

One thing I'm curious about with the Impala is whether or not it will be getting a facelift along with the introduction of the NASCAR model if they go that direction. It's essentially been the same model for 4 years now with only some minor appearance changes here and there. It's likely due for a redesign soon and If it's not happening before next year, we'll end up with the Toyota situation of getting a brand new one within a couple of years of a model change. Of course they could also go with Malibu. Just seems like the perfect chance for them to introduce a new street Impala to go with the race car.

6. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

During practice for the Clash, they said Chevrolet was going through the process that Toyota just went through. (Re)designing a car that will hit the track in 2018 and the market in 2019.

7. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

That leaves the Impala or the a long standing rumor that Chevelle or Monte Carlo will be coming back. Malibu just recently got the facelift.

8. Hendrick4life

Hendrick4life 306 Wins | 16 Championships

FTFY. :p

But its going to be interesting to see what model they use. Maybe going back to the Impala?

RacerXero84 likes this.
  9. rwarchol

rwarchol Well-Known Member

I saw a segment on Race Hub a little while back where Dale Jr was down in Darlington and their pace car was an Impala and it had the Southern 500 logo on the side of it. The Malibu is up for a refresh in 2019 but it was only first spotted a month ago under heavy camo and August would be an extremely fast reveal for a new car. Unless GM has been testing a new car under the disguise of the Camaro I think it will be one of those two.

I do particularly take interest in the reveal being in Detroit and not at a track. I don't think they'd go there to reveal a racecar of a current non-refreshed model.

10. ayrwolf

ayrwolf Where ever your're at, there you are

My guess based on marketing and sales would have to be the Malibu. In 2016 Chevy sold 222k Malibu's. Ford sold 265k Fusion's. To me it makes sense that Chevy would use the "free " mentions on the TV coverage to close the sales gap

11. Hendrick4life

Hendrick4life 306 Wins | 16 Championships

What an ugly racecar the Malibu would be though. Unless it is "refreshed" and they fix those ugly new Chevy fronts.

12. Thunder98

Thunder98 Same shit, different day. Admin

Pretty sad that an Australian car looks better than any recent Chevy car in the last near decade.

ThatOneShredder likes this.
  13. Saan Anguish

Saan Anguish Inflictor of Pain

I personally think the Malibu would possibly look good....

[​IMG]

14. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

It's going to be a redesign of an existing nameplate, or the creation of a new one.

My nostalgic mind says there's a punter's chance Chevy brings back the Lumina, but I'm not counting on it. :p

15. ayrwolf

ayrwolf Where ever your're at, there you are

Monte Carlo!

GDP Racing and jgegner like this.
  16. rwarchol

rwarchol Well-Known Member

What pushes me more towards the Impala is that NASCAR generally uses full-size sedans. The Malibu is mid-sized and is only offered with 4 cyl. engines so it's not a "direct" competitor with the Fusion and Camry.

17. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

Actually the Fusion & Camry are Mid size sedans and the Malibu is the direct competitor. Ford Taurus, Toyota Avalon & Chevy Impala are full size sedans.

18. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

I can think of a few different rental car agencies that should be made aware of this...

thedude1987 and ShadowKnight508 like this.
  19. Tim2488

Tim2488 Everything Bacon.

*Hides AVIS logo on shirt*

thedude1987 likes this.