Downloads
Updated

Computer Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Clarke

SRD Member
Reaction score
I've got a computer that gets really terrible fps and it's making it hard to enjoy this game we all love if I can't make it as good as possible. I think the problem with my computer is the processor isn't up to par with everything else, if I'm correct. I've got an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ with 2.20 GHz, and the question is can I update this processor without having to replace the motherboard? I'd try figuring it out myself but I really don't know what all I'd be looking at. My computer is an HP Pavilion a1710n, which I have modded with a GeForce 9800 GT graphics card, I think a 500W Logisys power supply, and maxed out memory. If there is any other information needed, I'll try to provide as much as possible. My main goal is to max out the graphics and such on my computer. Unless it's a fortune and I'd be better of to buy a new one haha

DaveO

SRD Member
Reaction score
What type of fps rates are you getting? Are you using high detailed tracks? If so, to save you some money, why not just try turning off some of the track objects?

Sage

Cranky Old fart
SRD Member
Reaction score
You may be out of luck when it comes to upgrading your processor. The one you have is an AM2 socket and that's pretty much outdated technology.
As an example, the one & only AM2 socket processor NewEgg shows is a refurbished AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2 GHz Dual-Core which is pretty much what you have now.
A MoBo & processor swap isn't difficult but you may also be looking at having to get all new RAM sticks. You probably have DDR2 and it's getting harder & harder to find MoBos that take them.

Darren Ingram

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
When your computer was released, Dale Jr was still at DEI and Jimmie Johnson had just won his first Cup title. Sebastian Vettel hadn't won an F1 race. Sam Hornish Jr had just won his 3rd IndyCar title.

What I'm getting at is, your computer is pretty old. You might be better off just buying a new computer with a decent GPU and be set. You might be able to squeeze a few more FPS out, but you probably will not max out this game with that system.

Jordan Clarke

SRD Member
Reaction score
Don't be trash talkin' my computer ;) Nah I guess it would be outdated in today's world. I think we've had it since my Freshman year of high school at least, and that was 5 years ago. It's crazy to think it's been that long already and that technology can be outdated so quickly, but so it goes...I'm getting about 20-60 fps depending on the track. It's not really slow and doesn't lag much until it's in the lower 20's but I guess that's about all I can do. I like having the track objects on because it adds to the realism to me. I can't buy myself a new desktop right now because I just got a MacBook, and I don't think nr2003 would work as well on it. I'd have to jump through hoops just to put stuff on there. Thanks though guys, at least I have a better idea of what I've got on my hands.

rickmastfan67

SRD Member
Reaction score
What is the exact model of your motherboard? Some AM2+ motherboards can use AM3 chips if you're using an AM2+ motherboard instead of an AM2 one. I'm personally still using an AM2+ motherboard myself with an AM3 chip in it (planning on upgrading sometime in 2015).

Darren Ingram

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
What are the specs of the MacBook? You could install Windows on it in BootCamp and possibly get better performance than you are now.

Jordan Clarke

SRD Member
Reaction score
The MacBook is a 13.3" Pro with Retina Display. I'm sure there's a way to hook it up to my steering wheel but if not then there's no way I'd want to play it on there. My steering wheel is a Logitech/Momo Racing Force Model No. E-UH9. And I'm not confident enough to trust myself to install something like BootCamp. This is the first Mac I've ever owned and I'm just beginning to learn the ropes. I couldn't tell you the exact model of the motherboard, James, because I'm not quite sure where to locate that information haha. I'd imagine it would be on the product itself, or in the control panel, but I'm not sure where to look in the control panel. I might check out the product itself later.

Darren Ingram

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about screwing up BootCamp. It's already installed on your computer, it comes with OS X.

You open it, download the drivers, and tell it how much hard drive space you want to give Windows. Insert the Windows disc/USB and it does the rest pretty much. The program walks through step by step, and there are tons of videos of it on YouTube. The process has been pretty much the same for years.

Is it a base MBP? How much RAM do you have, how much HD/SSD space do you have, and what graphics card do you have?

rickmastfan67

SRD Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.