Confused about that zip, rar, or 7z file?

Discussion in 'SRD Website Support Forum' started by WALZ, Mar 28, 2009.

1. WALZ

WALZ Missing

Don't worry, you're not the first and certainly not the last. These zip, rar, and 7z are archive files. What they do is "compress" the files inside them to make them smaller. This means faster downloads for you and less bandwidth used for us. But you can't just use these files as they are. You have to first uncompress them to get the files that you want. Windows has a built in uncompresser that can handle most zip files, but you'll need something else to get those files from those rar's and 7z's. The most common programs to do this are WinZip, WinRAR, and 7-Zip (free).

You might also wonder "what's the difference?" Basically, zip, rar, and 7z use different algorithms, or methods, for compressing the files. Some give better results then others in different cases, so that's why you'll see different ones. Personally, I like 7z because it's open source and gives good results, but rar is another favorite around here too. All of the latest versions of WinZip, WinRAR, and 7-Zip will open any of the different formats, so just pick the one that you like the best.

2. swaggstar30

swaggstar30 Member

quick question, umm, when i downloaded the file, i tried to open the file in photoshop and paint.net, but they didn't open. what program can i use to open paint schemes off of this site?

3. MattyO

MattyO Retired

Did you read what WALZ typed right above your post?

1 person likes this.
  4. swaggstar30

swaggstar30 Member

o, i sat and read it for a min, so you extract file to desktop and the car should come out in dds or photoshop?

5. Snoopy0626

Snoopy0626 Well-Known Member

No the file will come out in the format it was ziped up in (eg. tag file will come as tag, in game car file will come out in ingame car file)

6. jimnc02

jimnc02 New Member

Thanks for the info. I will try them.