1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE

Console & PC Video Games Discussion

Discussion in 'General Community Discussion' started by MattSRD28, Nov 24, 2012.

1. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

Anybody get one of these yet? Anyone planning to make it THE gift this holiday season?

Last week I spent 6 hours sitting outside Best Buy to get a deluxe model having not looked for pre-ordering options early enough. Haven't taken it out of the box yet, but I do have all sorts of additional Wiimotes for when the kids are over, and have Nintendo Land, Super Mario Bros U, and Epic Mickey 1 and 2 as games for it.

If you have gotten one of these and had some struggles with it, I'm sure the rest of us would enjoy knowing what problems you've encountered and how they were resolved. For others, they might like to know more about it before the investment in a new video game console is made. Then they might like to know just what store actually has one since Wii U is mostly sold out just about everywhere. I'm sure multiple people out there have questions about the new console. Let's try to provide some answers, shall we?

As for me...this is the first video game console I have direct access to since Nintendo 64. Never owned the original Wii. Never owned an Xbox or Playstation anything. Basically starting from scratch. I've got a ton of catch-up learning to do, but I'm anxious to see the results of what this thing can do. Aiming to have a big surprise for the kids when they come over for Christmas! (y)

2. DanAsher26

DanAsher26 Moderator Moderator

As much as I don't want to go out and buy the Wii U, the inner Legend of Zelda fanboy in me will sequel like a little girl and run to the neared Wal-Mart and buy it when they release the next Zelda game.

I know my grandmother bought one for her house, since she babysits my aunt/uncles kids every Monday and Thursday (mind you...we're talking 6 kids here, 10 if she has to babysit both families) So when I stop by one day I'll probably give it a go.

3. T18

T18 Well-Known Member

Honestly, after the Gamecube and 1st Wii, I don't think I want anything to do with this 'new' wii, Nintendo has been disappointing me long enough that I will not give tham anymore free chances. I hope they do better with this new system, but i'm not convinced they have learned anything. The Nintendo brand feels stale, it seems like they put out the same mario game every 6 months and they don't do much better with Zelda, they prey on our nostalgia for a property but fail to do any innovative. It seems to me they are content to repackage the same stuff and sell it to children and older adults every few years. That said the failings I've seen can also be blamed on poor hardware and 3rd party titles being kinda weak with alot of the big name devs, just porting games over (see EA Sports).

But who knows maybe they can recapture the spark that the SNES and N64 had, they do need a better name tho... not that MS and Sony are trying much better. Maybe we can help them with that...

4. tipptruck

tipptruck Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. I have had zero interest in a Nintendo system since the N64. I really felt like the Wii was a joke. I know more females that bought the game just because the wanted some of the dance games. I hated that I would have to get off my butt to play a video game. I work 50 hours a week. On my feet the whole time. Last thing I want to do when I want to relax is move.

5. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

Exactly my thoughts. Also for someone like me who doesn't have kids or someone that wants to play any video games with me here at my house, it's pretty useless. I do find it fun when playing with my friends though, but for just a pick up and play type game I will stick to PC/PS3/360.

6. Phantomguy24

Phantomguy24 TyV2

The Wii was aimed at a completely different market than any of the other consoles of its generation, and was incredibly successful in doing what it intended to do. So while traditional console gamers will stick to their Xboxs and PS3s and say the Wii was a failure, the Grandma's in nursing homes playing bowling and the parents doing wii fit and stuff like that will beg to differ. What Nintendo did was introduce the video game to a previously uninterested market, and made motion sensing technology a must have. Why else would Microsoft have pushed the Kinect and Sony the Move other than to try and take a bit of this new market that nintendo created. I have both a Wii and an Xbox by the way, and while the xbox gets the most use from me, my family uses the wii a bunch.

2 people like this.
  7. Frigus5

Frigus5 Proud Fan of Romain Grosjean

The way Nintendo is going about it, they have some pretty strong 3rd party support going. Everyone knows it's software, not hardware that makes or breaks the product. I've been studying video game history/marketing for the last 3 months. To be honest, I really think Nintendo got it right with the Wii U.

The Wii U is backwards compatible with all Wii games and accessories. Not only that, but if my information is correct, I was told it has to same graphics chip as the 360. Perhaps it is a tad better, but I might be lying if I said that.

You can't judge a console based on it's first week. I bought an N64 last year and have loved it to death. I had a PlayStation growing up, and got a GameCube close to it's end. To be honest, Nintendo isn't aiming itself at CoD fanboys. It's aiming itself to the gamers it lost to the GameCube and Wii. Look at the launch titles. It has something for everyone. (Albeit, not a simulation, but that will come with time)

Wait to say bad things about the Wii U. I, for one, believe this might be Nintendo's next big hit. And I'll be purchasing it very soon as I almost have enough money.

1 person likes this.
  8. DanAsher26

DanAsher26 Moderator Moderator

Yeah, the Wii was a big hit for me personally. I would spend tons of time playing games on it...then one day I just put the controller down and didn't touch it for about a year and a half. Then Zelda: Skyward Sword came out, I bought that, beat it, and haven't played the Wii since.

When I move into an apartment with my cousin (who's a gaming freak, to an extent) we'll probably end up buying one.

9. ElvisOnFire

ElvisOnFire New Member

I played a demo last week at GameStop. I'm officially calling it the "Inception" of gaming. Felt like I was playing a game within a game at the same time.

10. ERodriguez96

ERodriguez96 Well-Known Member

Inception gaming at it's finest. Nintendo has become the laughing stock of gaming sadly.

11. Carl Robinson

Carl Robinson I'm just better than you.

As someone who works in retail primarily video games,
    I have to say I was impressed by the U's functionality. Look and feel its very accesible and easy to pick up on, something that took the 360 several years and updates to get to. I think as we have more consoles becoming family centered I.E kinect, PS Move, Netflix, youtube etc.A console that is easy for a 40 year old adult to pick up and play and use will be a big seller, hell friday alone I solde 14 of the WII U deluxe's simply because the adults loved it. Not the kids, but there parent.

As for the games, Im kinda like Rick Harrison, there really isnt a market for it to commonly people are associating the wii with low end graphics and child like games, while its launch titles say otherwise. Only time can tell.

12. Markfan

Markfan Sim Racing Designosaur

Surprisingly true. The weakest system usually wins the console war. The PlayStation was abysmal in power compared to the Nintendo 64 (which was so powerful that it had direct ports to the 128-bit Dreamcast, was the first system with anti-alias, etc), the PlayStation 2 was absolutely mediocre compared to the Xbox and Gamecube (most games had to be significantly downgraded to run on the PlayStation 2, especially Gamecube games.) and the Wii was obviously weaker than the PS3 or Xbox 360. The last time that the weakest system lost was when the Sega Genesis was beaten by the SNES, and the SNES was still much weaker than the 3DO.

It's definitely a better chip in the Wii U. Besides, it would be sad if it had the graphics card of a last-gen system. lol

I'm looking forward to getting a Wii U, but I'm going to wait until there are more titles available before obtaining it, myself.

Fixed. Seriously though, the amount of hate Nintendo is getting for having casual 3rd party games is hypocritical when the PS1, PS2, Xbox 360 and PS3 have nearly as many. Heck, the best-selling Xbox 360 game is Kinect Adventures.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  13. SharkSoban

SharkSoban Well-Known Member

I know how that is... I have played Zelda since the begining... but that aside, I have looked into the WiiU, and as decided to just stick to the original Wii until the kids are old enough, I purchased them more age appropriate handhelds from LeapFrog, that ways they are learning more about ABC's and not as much of the Ocarina of Time (that will come later). I myself still prefers the PS3 and its games over the Wii, not much of a fan of having to dance around the room to guide mario thru the dungeon. Bring on Metal Gear or GTA for me!

14. Carl Robinson

Carl Robinson I'm just better than you.

This guy knows what its about.

15. xtro

xtro Well-Known Member

the Wii was obviously weaker than the PS3 or Xbox 360. The last time that the weakest system lost was when the Sega Genesis

Uh, the wii got annihilated this time around.

at least among actual gamers, not families, but yes in direct sales you are correct

16. Markfan

Markfan Sim Racing Designosaur

No, the Wii did not get annihlated. It annihlated everything else in terms of success, nearly selling more than the PS3 and 360 combined in console sales and having similarly high software sales.

The Wii did exactly what made the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 successful: drawing in new gaming crowds. That, and most of it's IPs had successful games during the previous generation, too.

17. Phantomguy24

Phantomguy24 TyV2

I can guarantee you if Nintendo was targeting the "actual gamer" market, we wouldn't have seen the wii. And as Markfan pointed out, it's hard to argue the wii got annihilated when it outsold the PS3 and Xbox 360 by such extraordinary amounts. Nintento did exactly what they set out to do and did it very very well. The created a new type of "gamer" who may not fit into your "actual gamer" criteria, but are still gamers none the less.

2 people like this.
  18. flyersfan4888

flyersfan4888 I do things sometimes.

Something tells me those stats are worldwide...because yes, in Japan and markets of the like, the Wii was more successful, but in the US...no. Let's put this in a more casual way since you like to stat-rape everyone. How many times do you hear 'wanna play Wii?' vs 'wanna play xbox?'. How much more is a game marketed for the PS3 and Xbox than for the Wii. In basic terms, while 'stats' say that the Wii was more successful, the stats don't tell the full story or at least in North America. Long story short, the Wii wasn't very successful in the eyes of the average American gamer (which accounts to about 75-85% of this forum)

Now back to Matt's original question, the Wii U does look promising. Especially with the built-in touchscreen. Imo, Nintendo has made many innovations, but just hasn't been able to put it together as a total package. I think this console is a step in the right direction and it will be interesting to see how Microsoft and Sony ''battle back'. While I don't plan to get one soon I'll keep an eye and see if i can get my hands on one at a friend's house just to try it out.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  19. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

People say the Wii was a failure because it didn't cater to hardcore gamers as well as PS3 or Xbox, but I have to wonder just how much of the market is made up of hardcore gamers? I hear the same arguments from roller coaster enthusiasts who complain when their local park builds a "lame" coaster, but still makes tons of money from it because the coaster is family friendly. Parks use that money to keep the doors open, and keep the good coasters they love to ride running. Yet, they still complain.

I'd understand if they were making an argument for a low quality product, but simply being family friendly in no way directly translates to being of low quality. It's a simple case of where the company feels their strongest market is. I guess the way to really find out is to play a game like Call of Duty Black Ops II on Wii U and Xbox 360 and see what platform gave the best experience.

What is undeniable, however, is that the Wii U's Gamepad controller is a game changer. Never before has a video game console had that kind of increased functionality. I plan on taking my Wii U out of its box tomorrow and starting down the long road of downloading firmware upgrades and bringing the system fully online. Then I'll suddenly find myself in control of this brand new console, having basically left video games when the 360 degree joystick on the controller was the game changer. :-O

20. Fisha695

Fisha695 Well-Known Member

I'm sure you've already read this online somewhere (like I did) but it's a 5gb download and if for any reason that download gets interrupted it bricks the console as the Wii U doesn't have a recovery mode like the PS3/360.