1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Custom MENCS Points Tracking

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by chargenick1563, Sep 24, 2019.

1. chargenick1563

chargenick1563 DAT Designs - Paint Scheme Designer

Background: After the 2018 NASCAR seasons in which 2 of 3 (arguably 3 of 3) champions were 'illegitimate', I decided to do more than just complain about the NASCAR points system. I fixed it. I pooled my ideas and came up with my own full season NASCAR points system. This points system relies on 3 parts:
    #1 - NO PLAYOFFS:
    No elimination playoffs, no 10 driver chase, just a full season with ZERO points resets.
    #2 - Stages:
    Stages remain and continue to hand out the same amount of points. The only difference being the elimination of the stage cautions, allowing the race to flow naturally.
    #3 - Bonus Points:
    Bonus points return in this format. Drivers can earn bonus points in the following ways:
    • 5 points for leading a lap
    • 5 points for leading the most laps
    • 5 points for each stage win (meaning each stage win pays 15 total points)
    • 10 points for each top 5 finish
    • 5 points for each top 10 finish
    • 15 points for each race win
    Finishing position points are awarded in the same model as they are now (1st = 40 pts, 2nd = 35 pts, 3rd = 34 pts, etc.)

In case you haven't or don't want to do the math, this means a driver can earn a maximum of 110 points every race.

I designed this points system to achieve two things. First, it rewards consistency and good runs even without a win. Second, it keeps wins important. While not as important and powerful as they are in the current Playoff system, wins still garner a lot of points meaning it is in every team's best interest to go for the win as opposed to points racing (if possible of course).

POINTS AFTER RICHMOND 2:
    Now that that's out of the way, here's the meat. I've decided to keep track of MENCS points for the remainder of the season and for seasons in the future using my custom points system. So, here are the top 20 in points after Richmond 2.
    Screenshot (82).png

2. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

That's interesting but how do you take into account for not having stage cautions even though real life has them? And your system would effect the racing a lot. I actually think it would be more exciting but no way to compare results

3. chargenick1563

I know it's a lot of what-ifs, but things like that can't be factored in. It'd be too many assumptions. The easiest way to go is base it on the actual results from the season because that's the best we can do. It's the same philosophy that all of the people who track Winston Cup points for modern seasons use.

4. JeffJordan

JeffJordan My name is no longer Jeff Jordan

I think it's an interesting idea to have a set amount of points to distribute among drivers for laps led. So like, if 20 points were spread among lap leaders and you got a point for leading 5%, it would look like this for Richmond, rounded down:

Kyle Busch +10 points
    Martin Truex Jr. +5 points
    Brad Keselowski +4 points

This way, since Kyle Busch led half the race, he now gets an additional 10 points. Truex led 20 more laps than Keselowski and thus has one more point than him.

For Las Vegas it looks like this:

Joey Logano +7 points
    Kevin Harvick +3 points
    Martin Truex Jr. +2 points
    Daniel Suarez +2 points
    Michael McDowell +1 point

It weighs driver performance more accurately. You can adequately reward a driver for an extremely dominant night where they did not win the race. Take the 2008 Sharpie 500:

Kyle Busch +16 points
    Carl Edwards +3 points

Of course, this is a bit of a pain to do on the fly, but it's still less work than tracking the running position at the end of stages IMO. One more for fun, the 2011 Coke Zero 400:

Ryan Newman +2 points
    Kasey Kahne +2 points
    Kevin Harvick +1 point
    Martin Truex Jr. +1 point
    David Ragan +1 point
    Mark Martin +1 point
    Matt Kenseth +1 point
    Kyle Busch +1 point

I think the biggest benefit of doing it this way on super-speedways is that it will be a genuine fight to lead as many laps as possible and we'd get some great racing. The superspeedway races do not work under stages because there's no impetus to lead laps, or really do anything, until stage end.

Ceafus 88 and Tetronix like this.
  5. chargenick1563

Points after Charlotte Roval:
    Screenshot (97).png

6. chargenick1563

Updated to reflect driver movement in comparison to last week
    Screenshot (98).png

7. chargenick1563

Points after Dover 2:
    Screenshot (125).png

8. chargenick1563

Points after Talladega 2:
    Screenshot (141).png

9. chargenick1563

Points after Kansas 2:
    Screenshot (158).png

10. chargenick1563

Points after Martinsville 2: With 3 races left in the season, both Denny Hamlin and Martin Truex Jr. are less than half a race behind Kyle Busch in points. With 330 total points left available, the top 6 can still mathematically win the championship
    Screenshot (183).png

11. chargenick1563

Points after Texas 2: After a decent, mistake free day, Kyle Busch takes a more comfortable points position into ISM. After his wreck tonight, Brad Keselowski has officially been eliminated from title contention, leaving the top 5 to battle it out in the final 2 races.
    Screenshot (197).png

12. HikBik88

HikBik88 Member

I think it would be great if the Pole winner received 5 or 10 points.

13. chargenick1563

Points after ISM 2: Going into the final race, Denny Hamlin sits only 24 points behind Kyle Busch for the championship lead. With 110 points left to grab this season, the top 4 are still mathematically in the title hunt.
    Screenshot (208).png

14. chargenick1563

Points after Homestead: A valiant effort from Martin Truex Jr. falls short as Kyle Busch's mistake free and dominating performance in the second half of the race allows him to clinch the 2019 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series championship
    Screenshot (226).png