1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Daytona 500 Discussion

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by AMLNet49, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBReaver35

DBReaver35 May the 4 be in victory lane

I could just imagine if they let them race JR and Harv catch him and 3 dramatic finish for the win. Even if it didn't there would be a better headline then Lagano wins 500 under yellow...

2. Oceanic

Oceanic Garden of Light

I can't stand Logano, but he was cracking me up on Victory Lane just now.

3. Lap_Down

Lap_Down Well-Known Member

^ I can't even imagine having to watch Logano for another 15 years. :confused:

When you think about it... IMO the problem with Nascar nowadays is that IMO the worst cars and the worst drivers are the ones who have the greatest impact on a race/championship since they will singlehandedly determine when the last caution will come out. IMO the greatest determining factor in last year's championship was when those last cautions came out at Homestead. IMO winning a Nascar race now is almost purely based on whether or not a 20th+ place driver will bring out a caution or not near the end of a race.

4. K.Chuck

K.Chuck --Hijinxtattoo--

Joey deserved the win, his car was stout and he kept it up front. Cant say if the 4 and 88 would have got him or not but doesn't matter anyway. Good 500

CarlEdwardsRulz likes this.
  5. CarlEdwardsRulz

CarlEdwardsRulz Can someone change that to Joey Logano?

I enjoyed the racing today. Three wide like they were for those closing laps was awesome to see!

6. DanAsher26

DanAsher26 Well-Known Member

The way I look at it, if a wreck happens on the last lap, the caution should not be thrown unless 1) The wreck happens near the start/finish line, which would make the leaders drive into the debris field/accident (see Talladega I 2014), or 2) A car flips over during the wreck (see Talladega II 2010).

Spotters have plenty of time after the leaders reach the line to tell their drivers to slow down because of a weck on the back straightaway. And if the cars are in the pack, they're going to be forced to try and avoid it, but the cars that are behind have PLENTY of time to slow down and avoid the wreck. If they somehow get collected then that's on them for having the awareness of a blind man. It doesn't matter if Logano is 2 seconds or 2 feet in front of Harvick, let them race back, for the fans sake.

If you have a GWC rule, ending a race under yellow is ridiculous. The whole point is making sure the race doesn't end under yelow. The freakin ARCA Series makes sure every race ends under green, no matter if the caution comes out 500 feet from the finish line. Line 'em up, reset. Take notes NASCAR, because having a race as big as the Daytona 500 end under caution leaves a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths...unless their driver was the one who was lucky enough to have the race handed to them with no possible challenge for the win. It's like having a team in the Super Bowl down 2 points in field goal range, 10 seconds on the clock, and they take a knee to end the game instead.

But that's just my opinion.

7. MillsLayne

MillsLayne #18N19

Austin should watch his back this week for crazy Gordon fans. haha

I hate that his 500 ended that way, but he at least led a ton of laps and showed a lot of strength. I think this will be a good final year for him.

8. KahneRacing945

KahneRacing945 3-Time USORL Rally Winner

Logano deserved every bit of that win. Don't know why some people think not. He would've won if it was under green or yellow.

9. RP Motorsports

RP Motorsports Well-Known Member

The bottom line is this - driver safety.

It was a big wreck on the backstretch with cars and debris scattered everywhere. When the pack is coming to the line at 200 mph, it takes a little time to get slowed down to a safe speed, and that cool down lap would've ended up going right into the mess all over the backstretch.

More importantly, the safety vehicles cannot move until the yellow is out. NASCAR has no way of knowing if anyone in those cars might be injured. And especially after the Kyle Busch incident yesterday, they absolutely need to err on the side of caution and not delay safety vehicles from getting out to those cars, and also not have to dodge race cars on the cool down lap.

Hate to say it, but for anyone that was outraged over the SAFER barrier situation, its really no different. Driver safety needs to be priority number one, across the board. Period.

As far as Logano, he absolutely earned that one. He was one of the strongest up front all day long, and did a hell of a job holding off the pack at the end when it got crazy.

Devin41, Shockey Rai and burtonbraves like this.
  10. labontefanboy

labontefanboy Well-Known Member

IMO you need to chill with the IMO.

As for the race, yeah, really disappointing ending, but still an incredible race. I can't believe they made it all the way to the final lap before wrecking. Just too bad that Logano was the one who got lucky. Not a fan of his at all, I don't really know what it is but something about him just rubs me the wrong way.

To add to what RP said, I think the difference between yesterday and today is that the cars yesterday continued. Both Larson and Cassill spun off track but then started rolling again. In the big wreck at the end, NASCAR must have seen that some of those cars were too damaged to get started again. I'm pretty sure Larson creamed the inside wall today, but Fox neglected to show a replay with a wide angle so I can't be too sure.

RP Motorsports likes this.
  11. burtonbraves

burtonbraves Fictional Extraordinaire

This. This. This. Although it wasn't a vicious crash, there is no way of knowing what was going on inside the cars. If someone needed medical attention they wouldn't have been able to get it until after every car has slowed down and crossed the start finish line. With no caution, and wrecked cars limping back to the start finish line, that could take minutes. Minutes Nascar can't really spare with all the accidents and drama of the past couple weeks.

Second, to say Logano was handed that win is ridiculous. He had one of, if not the best car all day. He worked the draft perfectly, and was able to block and stay in the lead. Who knows if the #4 and #88 would have gotten to him. He most likely would have blocked, either slowing them up or causing an accident. Either way, he led a lot of laps. Most of the last 15 or so, and he led the final one. That's what matters. He was leading, and he survived when the race ended. In no way did Joey Logano not deserve to win that race.

12. DBReaver35

DBReaver35 May the 4 be in victory lane

If that wreck happen on any other lap that yellow would have been flying almost instantly the fact they waited so long. As soon as I saw the wreck I said race is over but then I noticed for a good while no yellow I was getting excited again and then boom yellow. Joey might has still won either way but it they delayed that yellow so long I think it got a lot people excited that JR and Harvick still had a shot to chase him down.

13. Alan Harkleroad

Alan Harkleroad SRD Site Administrator Admin

Nothing against Logano, but they should have let it run to the flag, they did in the saturday race. Overall my assessment of speedweeks for 2015 gets C- for the opening of NASCAR for 2015.

In total this speed week's was one bad decision after another by NASCAR. It's nice to see three first time winners in a series or event, but the opener to the year was filled with one bad thing after another after another. They need to get their crap together in my opinion.

1. Suspend Kurt Busch, didnt do anything to Kvapil 1 year ago, and Travis was charged and plead guilty. Inconsistent as usual, hand forced by the NFL morons and social media. The fact that Travis didn't have a ride lined up should have been irrelevant, as he still held a NASCAR license and it should have been pulled if all the BS they have been spewing this week about how their policy is zero tolerance on this subject.
    I dont like Kurt, but he is getting a raw deal and being used as test case now so NASCAR can appease the social media and advocacy groups that would swarm if they failed to act Post NFL reaction.

2. Adding Safer Barrier again after the fact, yet they have a gigantic renovation going on to make the place more fan friendly. Then they admit the dropped the ball, and rightly so in the press conference. Daytona is NASCAR HQ according to them, it should be the nicest, fan friendliest, and safest facility they visit all year. There is no excuse for every inch of all NASCAR track walls to not have Safer Barrier.

3. They have had a whole year to address the park and wait of the qualifying format which made the Daytona qualifying a joke, and my guy sat on the pole but hey NASCAR once again acting after the fact to fix a situation everyone has been talking about for over a year since it's inception.

One thing NASCAR can always be counted on it seems as of late is to be Reactive rather then Proactive.

Anyway onto Atlanta, hopefully all the changes they decided to make provide better racing then last year. Which was a very good show all year, with the exception of a few races.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
    Devin41 and USSTalladega like this.
  14. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

Disappointing ending? I couldn't have cared less how that race ended, the racing within the last 30 laps was incredible to say the very least. It was amazing. I was so glued to my tv that I almost forgot how to breathe!

Now on the other hand it was really sad to see Gordon in his last 500 race only to get spun on the last lap. Another reason to hate the Dillon's. (I know it was just a racing deal on the last lap. Just disappointing to see)

15. nascarfreak88

nascarfreak88 Resident hater of playoofs

I'm really impressed that Crafton was able to bring it home in 19th after never having been in a Cup car before like 6 hours ago.

16. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

Kvapil was before the Ray Rice stuff and all the domestic abuse being brought to the forefront, and they probably won't go back and retroactively suspend him after more than a year of not doing anything. Guarantee you if Kvapil had done that today, he would have been out just like Kurt.

As for the finish, if they are going to have the green white checkered rule, they need to end it under green. We run out of cars oh well, it works in ARCA, so why can't it in NASCAR's top division. Minus the caution at the end - which was necessary - the last 20 laps were absolutely mind blowing. I was honestly expecting half the field to wad up with about 12 to go or so, like the 2012 Fall Talladega race. WOW. Great race all around, and I'm probably more exited about this season than I have in past years.

USSTalladega likes this.
  17. Alan Harkleroad

Alan Harkleroad SRD Site Administrator Admin

Exactly but it took a Ray Rice incident for the NFL to care and for NASCAR's hand to be forced, when the right thing would have been to actually suspend Kvapil at the start since this policy has always been there according to all their PR statements this week.

18. AMLNet49

AMLNet49 Well-Known Member

And just to clarify, Kvapil had a full time ride at the time (he hasn't had one since the incident), so "not having a ride" would not be a reason to not suspend him, because had a full time Sprint Cup ride at the time.

19. RP Motorsports

RP Motorsports Well-Known Member

BIG difference. Saturday's "wreck" was two cars that came together, slid through the grass, and then drove away. Today was a multi-car wreck with several of them making signficant impact with inside and outside walls. Which also left cars and debris scattered everywhere, and no way to know if everyone involved was ok, and safety vehicles that would've had to wait to be dispatched.

True, but hindsight is 20/20. When the Kvapil incident happened, there wasn't all kinds of backlash or outcry calling for a suspension. Nobody had much to say about it. The standards and perception has totally changed since the Ray Rice deal. And I'm not necessarily saying that makes it ok, but like a lot of other things, the public perception is often what dictates the course of action. Most people who reference the Kvapil thing now, had nothing to say about it at the time.

20. vozdt24

vozdt24 Well-Known Member

The self policing mechanism of nascar took care of Kvapil. Sponsors generally don't want wifebeaters representing their brand. No sponsor, no ride. Nascar formally suspended for show. I do agree 100% with the suspension... but after Chevrolet pulled their deal, Kurt would have been out of the car anyway regardless of a suspension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.