1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Daytona 500 Discussion

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by AMLNet49, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westracing01

westracing01 Well-Known Member

I was hoping they wouldn't throw the yellow, but they did. Logano had a stout piece and no one can say he didn't deserve it. Harvick and Jr looked like they were coming with a helluva head of steam with Denny possibly still in the mix.

Now, consider if they didn't throw the yellow and the leaders all wrecked in 4 coming to the checkers (a reasonable probability as we've seen multiple times) with the rest of the field steaming through 3 and 4 wide open with a gap between them and the new calamity. The field broke up a bit with the wreck on the backstretch and had the leaders crashed in 4, which again was certainly in the cards, the result could have been catastrophic. NASCAR rolled the dice and decided they didn't want to take the risk of having two major wrecks on the same lap.

No win scenario since we bitch they threw the yellow but had an even worse situation come to pass we'd have bitched they didn't throw the yellow.

The racing itself was actually really good. When they were all 3x3 the field had at least 5 wrecks that didn't happen due to some amazing saves by guys dead sideways.

2. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Lawn Duty, Judge Judy

James Buescher 2012 Daytona I?
    Matt Crafton 2013 Talladega?

Good point.

3. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

Thought this bit was interesting: Ford won all three points races this week. Considering how (except Penske) Fords ran last year, that's good way to start I suppose...

K.Chuck likes this.
  4. Lap_Down

Lap_Down Well-Known Member

Or what?

This 500 started out so well too IMO... 24,48,88 all at the front... Kyle, Kurt, Kenseth, Smoke, Kez... all amazing plate racers... all out of contention early... this was a huge opportunity to grab a 500 win... too bad the 22 won. I'm kinda indifferent to Logano, but I really dislike anything Penske (except when Rusty was driving the 2 car).

Also... the 15 was driving kinda reckless IMO... he almost wrecked the 24 when everybody was going 3 wide.

I thought this too at first... but seeing the 24 stuck in the middle lane behind another car lap after lap of 3 wide racing... I was 100% sure he wasn't going to win... so I started to lose interest. LOL. For consistency sake... I'm trying to remember if I ever complained about tandem racing... don't think I did... looking back... I miss it. IIRC tandem plate racing wasn't as affected by the late caution as much and produced some of the most exciting finishes... the only thing that sucked was if the driver you were rooting for was the one doing the pushing. LOL.

5. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

Well, speed-weeks 2015 is over! It's been crazy and I'm glad to move on. Super excited for the rest of the season, minus Kyle's injury and it being Jeff Gordon's last year

Mystical likes this.
  6. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

I had one eye on Gordon and the other was just watching everything else. If he hadn't chosen the outside lane on one of the restarts I think he would have stayed up front and contend for the win. It seems that just screwed him.

As for Logano winning, I can't say I'm mad about it. I hated him up until about mid way through the season last year, and before that I always said that KuBu was and will be the best driver that drove the #22. Boy I look like an idiot now. Logano has shown us what he's really capable of. And I'm becoming a fan of him and Brad.

7. wslates

wslates 1

As a Gordon fan, not seeing him finish in at least the top 10 was disappointing, but being disappointed after the racing we saw today is pretty hard. Up until the caution for Allgaier, that was some of the most thrilling racing I've seen. Although this was the old 800HP package, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season.

And getting mad at the yellow being thrown is just pointless lol

8. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Sucks for Gordon's finish, crazy race though.

9. DeonMcScotty

DeonMcScotty Well-Known Member Banned

So upset Jeff didnt win.

10. Devin41

Devin41 I wanna go fast!

Kvapil was arrested and charged on a Tuesday, plead guilty at a court appearance the next day(Wednesday), and was back in the #93 for BK Racing for practice and qualifying in Charlotte that Thursday.

11. evan07

evan07 Well-Known Member

I really was happy Joey won and completed the Ford sweep but I wished NASCAR would've let them race back. Although I completely understand why they didn't. Can you imagine the outrage if a car way back in the pack would've piled into the wreck and someone got hurt? I just am not sure if Harvick would've been able to pass him Joey had one of the best cars all day.

12. FloridaFan88

FloridaFan88 Well-Known Member

Joey Logano is becoming an elite driver in the Cup Series, and his Daytona 500 win further exemplifies that. In a few short years, he has transformed into one of the sport's superstars.

13. AMLNet49

AMLNet49 Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago I thought Penske was making a big mistake but ditching Hornish for Logano, but the move has worked better than anyone expected and has finally brought stability to the #22 car after being its 4th driver in its first 3 years

evan07 likes this.
  14. evan07

evan07 Well-Known Member

15. AMLNet49

AMLNet49 Well-Known Member

There's no reason why he wouldn't get approved. He could run all of the races besides the ones in which he has conflicts plus Talladega. For Talladega, Crafton could do it, and for the conflicts, McDowell could run assuming the #95 isn't entered. It should be straightforward.

16. K.Chuck

K.Chuck --Hijinxtattoo--

Why wouldn't he be able to run Talladega? He ran the Xfinty race at Daytona and he will have some cup starts before Dega.

17. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

That would be cool to see Erik get a chance at cup that shouldn't negatively effect his career.

18. RP Motorsports

RP Motorsports Well-Known Member

Not necessarily all that straight-forward when theres sponsors and other entities involved. Lots of moving parts, considerations, and factors to deal with. Its not like a 'stick & ball' coach setting a lineup.

TJBartel likes this.
  19. S. Yogurt

S. Yogurt Well-Known Member

True, but M&Ms has to have seen Erik adapt quickly to the different cars. Even with Crafton's experience, Erik might have a shot.

20. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.