1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

Enhanced How To

Discussion in 'SRD Suggestion Box' started by RacerXero84, May 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Makin' $$$ off noobs

I have been looking at the tutorial section of the site, and I noticed that it could use some love. Moreover, as the community becomes more exclusive, maybe it is time to throw out some tutorials on things like mod making, damage models, etc. There very well could be a diamond in the rough, and who knows? Adding a few people to the elite mod making category could be nothing but beneficial over all.

The idea is to give people a resource; i.e. people like me who would be interested in making mods, editing values in the various files, among other things.

Just some concept How To's:

*Model creating
    *Mod making
    *Damage model
    *Track/AI editing (values in text files, not 3d0's etc)

Again, just an idea. Personally, I know a few people (myself included) that would love a chance to make a mod, or create something really note worthy, but really haven't the slightest clue where to start.

2. Mcc457

Mcc457 Well-Known Member

I would love this. The tutorials we have are good, but they don't really explain what exactly you need to do. I'm sure more people would mod if we had a clear set if instructions

3. DaveO

DaveO Well-Known Member

You have the right concept and ideas going with this.. I create models and etc for NH. Recently I've been helping a buddy of mine make a dream come true for some stuff for NR2k3.. You need to start from the ground up, on learning how to model basic things before you jump right into trying to create a car model.. Take small steps at first. First and foremost, there are tons of you tube video's out there to get you going on learning the basics, for like 3dsMax.. Also learn about creating textures. Or as you guys call mips. :) That's another cool thing to learn. Start small then start climbing the ladder to bigger challenges.. For damage modeling and all that good stuff. Start learning about scripting. I think that is the biggest challenge holding some guys back for modding NR2k3. Just my 02 cents.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  4. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

For like the past few months I've been working on a tutorial on how to make 3do's for NR2003. It's a really long tutorial process. Everything has to be explained and documented as I do it which makes the process 2 times slower. So to make a mod tutorial I can imagine would be really time consuming and why no one has done it before. Especially if the people reading the tutorial do not even know how to model in a 3D program proficiently, you almost have to make a prologue tutorial on the tips of 3d modeling before you can even begin with the real mod. It's a very complex and arduous process and sad reality many are unwilling to devote that much time or effort since it's not a simple click of a button process. It really requires your all and this is probably why no tutorials of that depth has been made since it would only benefit a small minority.

I know over at thepits.com they have lots of mod making and track making tutorials to read. 8 years ago those things really helped me in track making for sure. One thing with mod making (like a car mod) is it's not always a set of standard rules on how to make it. I think this is where you just need to have that creative skillset to know how to model in 3ds max and also connected everything with the scripting. The problem mainly lies with the tools required. I believe you need a very old version of max to even make a car mod and this is half the reason many can't do it and why tutorials aren't made for it.

But if someone does it then cool. I'm just not sure how many could do the tutorial if they don't have 3ds max from like 8 years ago is all ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.