1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

EPA vs California

Discussion in 'Politics/Religion' started by Chevellion, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Chevellion

Chevellion Former SRD Cup League Director

Curious battle between federal regulations and a state's right to set its own standards.

To preface: California has held automakers to a higher emissions standard for years in an effort to improve its historical issues with greenhouse gases. Ten other states also adopted these guidelines, which are tighter than the federally regulated mandate. Minnesota and New Mexico are expected to join them in the coming weeks. Automakers Ford, VW, and Honda have agreed to support the regulations.

The Trump administration is in the process of rolling back the Obama-era regulations, claiming it will lead to lower costs for automakers and consumers. The EPA claims that federal law pre-empts state regulation of vehicle fuel economy, including California’s vehicle rules, while the Environmental Protection Agency said it was revoking a 2013 waiver California received to set emissions standards. California, joined by the 10 other states with similar standards, have sued the EPA as a result. The EPA responded, threatening to withhold federal highway funding, due to the state's historical issues with air quality.

---

Pretty important battle between state vs. federal rights, which could very well be decided at the Supreme Court level. I fail to see the logic in rolling back pollution-preventing measures, as well as reducing funds to a state who is actively trying to resolve the very thing the government is punishing them for. What do you guys think?

2. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator, Cup champ.

Well, being a Republican, states rights are VERY important. States should have the ability to set their standards. The Federal guidelines are just a minimum that car makers can get by with. You can't very well argue for the federal side on this and not in everyday things like marriage certificates, abortion, health care, etc.

MrDude68 and joeykraus19 like this.
  3. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

If California wants to regulate itself into oblivion, I say let em. States rights. I'm all for less Federal intervention, unless it has to do with protecting international, constitutional, or civil rights specifically.

With that said, when they finish tanking as a state and start dealing with mass riots (from the homeless issue, crime, poverty, the gap in social classes, straws, drugs, etc), the Federal government should have the right to hold support in saving their government... Freedom of choice, speech, etc =/= freedom from consequence.

4. Chevellion

"Tanking as a state?" You are aware they are the world's 5th largest economy (as of 2018) by themselves, correct? What is so sinister or self-righteous about holding their location to a higher standard than others, especially after all the problems they've had?

nascarfan9 likes this.
  5. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Because, straws are the problem to those hypocrits, not any of the aforementioned issues I outlined. And yes, Im aware of their GDP. If they are so solvent, why have they asked for federal aid time and time again?

6. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

I lived in California for a long time, it has many problems, but I don't think this is one of them. A huge pain in the ass, and NM following suit makes me cringe a little, but as much as I hate it, it is a little progressive, especially when you live in smog and then find out the rest if the world is so much cleaner.

Straws and plastic bags and etc etc are more recent issues, and stem less from production of plastic (which is what is getting focused on by opponents) and more to do with the fact that single use items like straws and bags end up in the ocean and harm wildlife. When I was a kid (before I lived in Cali) the issue was those plastic pieces that hold a six pack together. The fact is humans are wasteful, and while I don't like that we are resorting to law after law after law rather than just trying to better ourselves, if ppl weren't so lazy and arrogant and so ridiculously resistant to change we may not have been heading down this route in the first place.

7. Chevellion

Right - waste/pollution is a hot-button topic that California has directed a large amount of focus towards. They sent themselves too far into the red through previous decades, requiring the more extreme about-face we're seeing today. The hope is that by spearheading these changes, other states/countries will recognize the investments are worth it and join suit.

Despite what some Conservative pundits will argue, humanity's planetary impact hasn't been negligible. Fossil fuels are not a sustainable source of energy. Combining that with the general stubbornness of people, new standards are required to 'drive' us towards renewable resources.

mtblillie and nascarfan9 like this.