FPS issue, please help!

Discussion in 'NR2003 - PC Support and Troubleshooting' started by gdubia, Dec 24, 2016.

1. gdubia

gdubia Well-Known Member

1) Operating System: Window's 10 and I have the game loaded on the C drive which is an SSD
    2) Processor:
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    3) Memory: 8192MB of dedicated video memory
    4) GPU Name and Type: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Hey guys, hokiegrad here. I'll get right to it. I got a new gaming laptop and have loaded NR2003 from my original cd and installed the patch. I have also loaded a couple of mods including the BR15, 358Late model, and 358Modified, as well as the Cup90s mod. When I first loaded it up the graphics were a little blurry, but the fps was fine.
    To fix the blurry graphics, I followed the advice on Rogue's Graphics Guide site regarding the core.ini, rend_dxg, and player.ini files. On my older computers, this has always fixed my graphics problems and I could usually maintain an fps of 15 to 30.

On this new laptop, the original cup mod and 358 late model, 90s cup mods etc. run great with at least 70fps-sometimes hitting over 100fps, but when I load up the BR15Gen6 mod, the fps drops like a rock - i mean unplayable, like around 2-5 fps. The strange thing is it will skyrocket to 100fps for a bit, and then drop to less than 5fps. It doesn't seem to matter what track either or what view (in car or behind the car - but in car seems to run a little bit better). The fps will go high for a few seconds, and then drop like a rock. I recognize my Gen6 mod is filled with 2048 skins and 1024 crews, but this computer should be able to handle that, right? The other mods run flawlessly.

I tried using the graphics calculator found at Bullring using the inputs of 8192, 1920, 1080, and 32 bit, the calculator gave me a TextureSetSize of 8556756992 and Anisotropic level=0, so I tried that and it didn't fix the problem. I tried taking the "1" back off the front of the cache size, and I have tried lowering the number of opponents, as well as the number of cars I can see in front of me, and none of that worked either. I saw the post in this forum here a little while back about help with windows 10 and it said to add a 4 in front of texture size and make the anisotropic level 9. That didn't work either!

The graphics look great, but my BR15mod is unplayable, please help!!!!

2. gdubia

gdubia Well-Known Member

Update:
    I tried running different tracks and the crashing fps issues seems to be on all tracks.
    Then, it occurred to me that the car set that came with the BR15 mod was all 1024 cars (all BRmods really - the bullring guys are known for never using anything higher than 1024x1024 temps), so I tried that. Amazingly, with all 1024 cars in the field the fps was a very consistent 36-38 fps. It never went up near 100 like it does with the other mods, but it never dropped below 36 either.
    36 is sure enough to play the game, but this would mean I would have to export every skin of every 2048 car that I have, take them into photoshop, shrink them to 1024, and reimport them? And why, this computer should be able to handle this game easily, right? My 6 year old computer before this one could.
    If shrinking the car skins is the answer, do you think going into the driver ini and changing the texture compression back to 1 and then exporting each skin and reimporting them with compression would shrink the file sizes enough to solve the problem, or even make a difference at all?

3. nj9703

nj9703 SRD Truck Series Director

Check out this thread. Using Winmip to change the cars to a compressed file should help.

4. gdubia

gdubia Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about using wimmip to compress the car files more quickly. But, I can't help still thinking that the computer should be able to run the game no problem especially when my 6 year old computer before this one ran it okay. There's got to be something else going on.

5. gdubia

gdubia Well-Known Member

So, apparently, the winmip i have doesn't work in windows 10. that's okay though, i simply exported the skins on the 30 or so BR15cars that have the biggest file sizes, and then reimported them with the texture compression on. This seems to have fixed the fps problem. The game is running smooth now. i hate that i had to compress the files to get the game to run smooth on this much superior computer, but whatever - the difference is negligible in game and it works, so i am happy. Still would like to know why the game wouldn't run smooth until i compressed the files though when it ran fine on my older computers before this one.

6. nj9703

nj9703 SRD Truck Series Director

Well, remember that NR2003 only uses one core. That could've been the issue.

Glad you found a solution, though.

7. Krusty

Krusty Well-Known Member

You may also want to change the number of max sounds to 8. Believe it or not it helps. :cool: