1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Frame rate tanking on certain tracks with high end PC

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by ZeroHour, Oct 5, 2019.

1. ZeroHour

ZeroHour Member

Hey guys, I'm hoping you all might be able to point me in the right direction with this issue I'm having with NR2003. First of all I have a very high end PC with a 9900k CPU and 2080 Ti GPU. The issue is that on some of the newer tracks with really high texture detail like the BB-MC ones (Chicagoland 2018 for example) my framerate will be beautiful (120+ fps) unless the camera/mirror happens to be looking in certain directions like towards the infield, then suddenly it tanks to like 5 fps. Turning off graphics options like shadows and stuff does not change this. I have a feeling it's something to do with NR2003's handling of VRAM but it's just a guess.

edit to clarify: It also depends on the mod in use. For example it happens with the BullRing 2015 mod or SnG 2019 MENCS mods with their high res/gorgeous textures but not with the default Papy 2003 cars.

For info, the only tweaks I have done to NR2003 are TextureSetSize = -1 in rend_dxg.ini and TextureQuality=100 in player.ini. Also I have patched the NR2003.exe with the "4gb" patch tool which did seem to reduce the occurrences of the problem but did not eliminate it.

Anyone know of any tweaks or anything that can mitigate this problem? Thanks in advance!

2. halfwayglad

halfwayglad BBMC Tracks

There are a few things to check:
    - disable solar effects
    - make sure all of your cars are compressed
    - make sure your pit box textures are compressed
    - lower the number of sounds below 12

ZeroHour likes this.
  3. ZeroHour

ZeroHour Member

Thanks for your reply! Solar effects on/off is no change. I don't know how to work with textures or compress them etc, I just use the mods and tracks as they are delivered. No change with sounds also.

4. puckhogg11

puckhogg11 Well-Known Member

5. Rufio2031

Rufio2031 Well-Known Member

Disabling solar effects will have a larger impact on the night tracks. Typically the FPS drop significantly when the pit crews are in sight so that's probably part of what you're experiencing. When facing the infield you're essentially facing the whole track so everything is rendering. Compressing your cars and crews will have the largest impact. Some people do this before they post for download, some don't.
    And, BBMC tracks for sure ask a hell of a lot out of dated software. Some of the newer releases have SD packs in them which might help too.

6. ZeroHour

ZeroHour Member

Thanks guys, I discovered that running the D3D8 -> D3D9 wrapper (intended for use with ReShade) took care of the problem.

halfwayglad likes this.
  7. garrett1127

garrett1127 Well-Known Member

Also, check out youtube for "TheBenCrazy" tuts on setting up your vid card, he has a new one just posted a few weeks ago.

Mystical and gojimmie like this.
  8. SlickRacer77

SlickRacer77 Well-Known Member

I need to compress my cars that are already installed. That a big pain in the @ss or best way to do that?

Reshade really worth doing now that it's been out for a little while? I know at first had everyone freaked out so I held off.

9. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

Yeah you have to do it manually. Don't think I've ever seen like a batch file or such that could do it automatically unfortunately.
    Yeah it's fine to use.