1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

Gimp Help

Discussion in 'Logos - Decals - Graphics' started by Michael James, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Michael James

Michael James MJ

[​IMG]
    I will post all tutorials here on how to make the best things on the best free photo manipulation software.

First Off-
    i notice that some people here when using logos from Google have an image like this
    [​IMG]
    and say that they wanted to take the blue out but when they do it looks blue and partially jagged
    here is a solution
    use the color to alpha tool (located under the colors menu)
    but what is it???
    The Color to Alpha command makes all pixels of the active layer that have a selected color transparent. An Alpha channel is created.
    how do i use it???
    open it up then use the color select box
    [​IMG]
    and select the exact color that you want

end result

before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]

Next Up, How to use the path tool.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  2. Markfan

Markfan Sim Racing Designosaur

Great Idea Mikey!

Is it just going to be your tutorials, or can we all help?

3. Michael James

Michael James MJ

How to Use the "Path Tool" in GIMP

1.You have your image.
    [​IMG]
    2. You then select the path tool (located under the tool box)
    3.Do a rough point to point estimation of where you want to go.
    [​IMG]
    4.OK now you got a box, so now its time to curve it. To do this it is very easy, you select any point on the line that you wish to curve, and holding the mouse button down you move it around to where you want it to go.
    [​IMG]
    5.Now you have it curved but you want to use it as a selection. So you press the enter button, and that's how you use a path in GIMP.
    6. You have your new image.
    [​IMG]

Also~ The edit tool will make extra points where you curve so you can change them. (JJ Jordan)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    2 people like this.
  4. Michael James

Michael James MJ

EDIT: WRONG INFO

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  5. Markfan

Markfan Sim Racing Designosaur

Then would you mind if I made a GIMP Q&A Thread?

This one would be for tutorials, and mine would be for specific questions.

6. JeffJordan

JeffJordan Yes, my name is actually Jeff Jordan

Don't forget the edit tool- it will make extra points where you curve so you can change them.

1 person likes this.
  7. Michael James

Michael James MJ

well as i read what i did say, it alluded to the fact that anyone could put tutorials here, so what the hell. i dont mind if you put tutorials in here or in your own thread

8. JeffJordan

Mind if I put my tutorial about Layers here?

9. Michael James

Michael James MJ

no, feel free

10. JeffJordan

The Layers Tool:

To open the Layers window, click "Windows" on top and open "Dockable Dialogues" and select "Layers"

This tool becomes very important with logos and numbers. To select a layer, simply click on it. You can click on th Eye to make in invisible or visible, and click "Lock" to make it easier to recolor something.

Say you take a logo from Google, and you paste it in GIMP. Use "Color to Alpha" as demonstrated already to remove the background layer. If it is necessary to recolor something, check the "Lock" box on top of the layer list. Just use the paintbrush tool and the right color to recolor it. In the bottom left corner of the box, there is a white sheet of paper that can make a new layer if necessary to add the parts lost after the "Color to Alpha" process.

To make a base, use a flattened template for a mod without any background. Create a New Layer. Use the bucket fill tool to make the background. Add more layers to add more parts, usually different colors for the base. Lock each except for the background so you can fix any possible color mistakes without giving it that "pixelated look" because of the bucket fill tool. Remove the "Mask" (flattened template) and paste onto an unflatted template of your choice and add numbers, logos etc.

Next: The Color Picker tool and the Color Selection Tool.

4 people like this.
  11. JeffJordan

Stickied :)

1 person likes this.
  12. Michael James

Michael James MJ

How to Outline (or inline) a Logo (or really anything)

1 By the layer selector right click on the layer and go to alpha to selection. This selects the layers area, and its opacity).
    2 Then go to select and go to grow selection (Located next to file and edit on top).
    3 Now you select how much bigger you want it.
    ie, if you want it really big then grow it around 10ish

p.s.- if you want to shrink the selection then do step 1 and 2 but for step 3 go to shrink selection (located in the same place as grow).

13. Michael James

Michael James MJ

How to make your own numbers-

1. Use any font (a good one to use is Impact) of you choice and write your number (ie, 1, 2, 3)
    2. (optional) Now that you have that, revert back to the outline help to outline the logo (Here)
    3. (again optional) It's time to skew the number... To do this, you go to the skew tool on the dialogue box and look for this
    [​IMG]
    4. Now that you have that stuff done, you can have a high quality number made completley by you!

14. JeffJordan

Don't forget to check out the driver fonts list.

15. Michael James

Michael James MJ

OK, I see that some people do not know how to properly use templates, here is how you do it.

1. Download a template, try this one first. http://www.simracingdesign.com/down...dd-s/59/2006-chevy-2048-speedway-template-26/
    It's a nice one to begin on before you work on a COT
    2. Open your template in GIMP.
    3. Go to the layers tab, from there look for the lowest layer usually called base. (If your having trouble, it should be one solid color and on the bottom.
    4. For your first time, paint it one solid color, don't go fancy.
    5. From there you are done with the base.
    6. Now you can download numbers logo's and anything else you want to put on the template. For starters, download this logo. http://www.simracingdesign.com/downloads/p/43/new-pepsi-1460/
    7. To open this logo on to GIMp, simply go to File>Open as layers and select your file.
    8. Now when you open this logo, you will see that you have many layers (4 to be exact), to make it one layer simply right click on the top most layer (on the logo) and click merge down. Repeat until you have the layers that you want. (for the pepsi logo, delete "background")
    9. Now you8 have your logo, so simply move it and scale it to your choice.
    10. Done, you now have your own car!

16. Jeff24fan

Jeff24fan GOT HEEEEEM!

Of course you just have to advertise your own logo right? ;)

Nice tutorials man, keep it up! :D

1 person likes this.
  17. Josh Mertz

Josh Mertz #JB17

I made this tutorial and posted it in the General Discussion, is it ok to repost here to get extra views, because this thread is stickied?

I don't know if many people know this, but if your retexturing a track, and don't want to lose the "wall" or whatever your making texture, but you would like to recolor it, heres what you do.

~~Step 1~~
    Open up what you want to edit. For this example, I'm going to open up wall_02.bmp

~~Step 2~~
    Now that you have your texture open, go to Layer>New Layer.

~~Step 3~~
    Add a a transparent layer, above the base texture. Color it whatever you want, patterns etc.

~~Step 4~~
    Go to the Layers box, if you don't have that open go to Windows>Dockable Dialogs>Layers.

~~Step 5~~
    Select the transparent/colored layer you made. Click Mode, go down to Multiply. Make sure the "base" layer is set to Normal. That's it!

18. Michael James

Michael James MJ

That is not for making a car.

1 person likes this.
  19. Josh Mertz

Josh Mertz #JB17

It could be. If you have an effect, say diamond plate, and all the layers are merged.

20. ColoRadio

ColoRadio Well-Known Member

Sharp Borders

Sharper Borders:

Make sure you have the New Layer selected on the layers-dialog, and choose the Text-tool and apply your text string.

Click on the text layer with the right mousebutton and choose Ctrl-H or select Layers > Anchor Layer.

Click on the text layer with the right mousebutton and choose 'Alpha to Selection' to select the text.

Now return to the Layers&Channels - window, and and choose 'New Layer' to add a new layer to the image. (Place it behind your text string)

Press the right mouse button on the image (Your text string layer) and select Edit > Stroke. Then stroke the selection.

This is ideal for sharp crisp strokes.