Downloads
Updated

Goody's Headache Relief Shot 500 Race Weekend Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoke OR

Official Toad Hunter.
Reaction score
I think they should have left the chase comment out of it and said Matt you went to damn far.

4x4yoda

Reaction score
My guess is matt penalty is going to be upheld because he didn't follow the script.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
Reaction score
The fact is they didn't and used it as primary justification, I think that's the part that doesn't sit well with me.

Meh, '"racing" will go on, but I have a hard time really acknowledging a champion when things like this are occurring.

And @AMLNet49 - the racing aspect, I think, is moving along, Darlington was a great indicator, and it does seem like that is the route they are taking for next year. As for competitive balance, I think you may see more of that because of the overall speed reduction from less downforce, i.e. putting it back in driver's hands. But I don't think for a second guys like Gilliland or Jeb Burton are going to be contending for wins regardless.

AMLNet49

Reaction score
The fact is they didn't and used it as primary justification, I think that's the part that doesn't sit well with me.

Meh, '"racing" will go on, but I have a hard time really acknowledging a champion when things like this are occurring.

And @AMLNet49 - the racing aspect, I think, is moving along, Darlington was a great indicator, and it does seem like that is the route they are taking for next year. As for competitive balance, I think you may see more of that because of the overall speed reduction from less downforce, i.e. putting it back in driver's hands. But I don't think for a second guys like Gilliland or Jeb Burton are going to be contending for wins regardless.
Well no offense to either of them but I'm not sure guys like them would have competed in 2001. I like Gilly and he's talented but he's not a superstar bottled up. And Jeb Burton whatever he has a bad attitude anyway. But it pains me to see guys like Landon Cassill and Cole Whitt, who are legitimately talented, never be able to get a good run in because equipment is basically everything today. Engineering for each track and driver talent mean nothing if you don't have the equipment. And that wasn't the case for a long time and that's what frustrates me. Every season I watch the first few weeks, see a great competitive balance, and say "hey this is the year it's fixed", and then by June or July its back to the new normal with the big teams dominating the top 20 ever single week.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
Reaction score
Maybe they run out of money? Or teams more likely to put bigger dollars to sew up a Top 35 spot during the first few races? I dunno. But I see your point.
Granted there are more teams able to compete week in and week out for a win, but the gap between them and the Joe Schmoe team is a lot larger than I recall back in the early 90's, when you had guys like Kulwicki winning the title, or Rudd making waves, etc. etc.

AMLNet49

Reaction score
Maybe they run out of money? Or teams more likely to put bigger dollars to sew up a Top 35 spot during the first few races? I dunno. But I see your point.
Granted there are more teams able to compete week in and week out for a win, but the gap between them and the Joe Schmoe team is a lot larger than I recall back in the early 90's, when you had guys like Kulwicki winning the title, or Rudd making waves, etc. etc.
Exactly. Though theres no longer a top-35 rule. But your point is valid, I agree.

jacobc62

The OG NASCAR Tiger.
Banned
Reaction score
Engineering for each track and driver talent mean nothing if you don't have the equipment
Danica called. She's laughing at this sentence.

*edit* Nevermind, grammar is correct. My bad.

Last edited:

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
Reaction score
We're debating this... meantime... Annett's team trailer is aflame near MM 595 on I-20 Westbound lol

nascarfan9

Category 5 Punicane.
Reaction score
So what Nascar is basically telling me after this penalty is it would have been perfectly fine if Matt had wrecked Logano at Talladega going over 200MPH, because he still would have been a "chase contender then" Makes perfect sense
Well a portion of their reasoning was "aspects of safety" (LOL) so I'm not so sure that would have happened. Then again, they forgot about the "aspects of safety" when Edwards nearly sent Keselowski into the stands at Atlanta and caused him to collect some 5+ cars with the wreck at Gateway, so really it's about a 50/50 shot.

He won the "Brake in the Race" award for his role in playing Matt Kenseth's brakes*..
* He also was the highest running award eligible driver as of the first caution too : )

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
Reaction score
Suspension upheld. Good luck to Logano on making Homestead...

...he's gonna need it.

EDIT: Suspension reduced from 6 months to the end of the year. Still very much worth it. Only has to behave for the final race. Joey should look into changing car colors or something....

Last edited:

crazyboy335

#50in07
Banned
Reaction score
God help poor Joey Logano at Homestead if he is in the Championship 4 with Matt coming back from his two-race suspension. Only one gif will suffice for the season finale race at Homestead-Miami:
Matt has a six-month probation along with his suspension, so if he does decide to an hero and take out Joey at Homestead it's a guarantee we'll see a new driver in the 20 permanently.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think Kenseth will be the one to get him. Denny is taking this pretty personally, it would not at all shock me if he "loses the car" right into Logano at Homestead. Oops.

One thing is for sure, Logano may want to keep a slightly lower profile if he want's to make it all the way....

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
Reaction score
Matt has a six-month probation along with his suspension, so if he does decide to an hero and take out Joey at Homestead it's a guarantee we'll see a new driver in the 20 permanently.
Not 100% true, they can park him for longer (he could sit out 2016 completely), but kicking him out completely is a BIG move, one I don't think anyone will make, especially if Logano goes right back to his same routine or tries to mess with Kenseth at Homestead (...could he really be stupid enough to try?)

labontefanboy

Reaction score
I can't believe some of you think Kenseth might actually have the balls to take out Logano again. Will JGR all try and make Logano's life difficult at Homestead (assuming he's still in it)? Absolutely. But none of them, especially not Kenseth, are stupid enough to take him out. That's just ridiculous, and right now I wouldn't be stunned if there are 2 JGR cars in it at Homestead, Edwards and Busch.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
Reaction score
I can't believe some of you think Kenseth might actually have the balls to take out Logano again. Will JGR all try and make Logano's life difficult at Homestead (assuming he's still in it)? Absolutely. But none of them, especially not Kenseth, are stupid enough to take him out. That's just ridiculous, and right now I wouldn't be stunned if there are 2 JGR cars in it at Homestead, Edwards and Busch.
You're forgetting Hamlin. He's been taking this pretty seriously, and recall, he himself has no love for Logano. Remember: NASCAR is now a free-for-all circus, so literally ANYTHING is possible lol

labontefanboy

Reaction score
You're forgetting Hamlin. He's been taking this pretty seriously, and recall, he himself has no love for Logano. Remember: NASCAR is now a free-for-all circus, so literally ANYTHING is possible lol
Valid point. That said, from the type of comments that Hamlin has made I think he's very frustrated with how things are going. I'm not a fan of his by any means but I have a lot of respect for what he's been saying, and my interpretation is that he will try and race normally and hope others follow suit. But, like you said, it's a free-for-all, so who the hell knows what could happen lol.

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
Reaction score
I'll bet the phone call was already made to Joe stating those shirts would not be tolerated.

Wonder how many fans will be sporting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.