1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'Politics/Religion' started by Spike, Jan 11, 2019.

1. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Didn't see a whole lot of complaining when Obama, Bush Jr, Clinton, etc did it.

All the sudden it's an issue. Personally, I don't like a President bypassing Congress... and there are steps in place to avoid abuse (at least, there was, dunno where the enforcement on that was the last 16 years.... their mandate was probably lost via email....). IE, as Pelosi tried to taunt that the next President might claim "guns" for the next national emergency.... they can't. It's a Bill of Rights/Constitutional issue. So that was a lot of hyperbole out of her (as usual).

So it is what it is. He gave Congress what they asked for by reopening the government rather than butt heads for a long time, and they gave him nothing. So he took it. Out of the national defense budget (already allocated, to the tune of what? 100 Billion?).

Yeah... I'm not shedding any tears over this.

MrDude68 likes this.
  2. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Moderator Moderator

Me personally, I was either not alive or very young during these times, but I would have complained as well.

I agree.

This is a Constitutional issue though. He's bypassing Congress for matters involving money, which is no way to govern IMO.

Article 1, Section 9, Clause 7 of the Constitution states that, "No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time."

We also have Supreme Court precedent, Knote vs. United States, and albeit old, was ruled that, "the right to them has so far become vested in the United States that they can only be recovered by him through an act of Congress. Moneys once in the Treasury can only be withdrawn by an appropriation by law."

joeykraus19 likes this.
  3. RacerXero84

Money isnt coming from the treasury.
    Details are important, especially if you are trying to cite legalities.

ThatOneShredder likes this.
  4. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Moderator Moderator

Fair. I'm no expert in money when it comes to the government, but I'll be sure to ask my POLS professor about this. He's the one who said that that clause was applicable.

Regardless, I don't like the President just bypassing Congress like that.

5. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

Personally I feel this is just a case of checks and balances on the legislative branch. The President’s job is first and foremost to protect the citizens of the country. I’m not trying to go back to the previous argument of whether a wall will do that, I’m just stating that a wall is what this administration feels will fulfill a portion of that obligation. Congress has not completed their job of protecting the citizens according to this administration, and therefore the executive branch must utilize these previously mentioned powers of checks and balances.

MrDude68 likes this.
  6. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

For one thing most of the National Emergency's declared by Presidents since Jimmy Carter through Barrack Obama were nothing more than economic sanctions against foreign governments and/or dictators or Real Actual Emergency's involving Terrorist Attacks or Natural Disasters not just some money grab for a border fence. Congress can rescind any National Emergency Declaration so I wouldn't doubt trump's border fence national emergency declaration will be the first in history to be rescinded.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/presidents-national-emergencies/
    https://www.npr.org/2019/02/15/6952...e-declared-emergencies-but-not-like-trump-has

7. RacerXero84

I guess people keep forgetting that the Senate is still very much conservative....? House can only do so much. Plus I would LOVE to hear the House Dems try and argue how a southern border isn't considered within the scope of national security, which would allow for the use of already allotted national defense funds.... I want to see that. Hell, I'd pay Pay-Per-View rates to see how they manage that. Because on a strictly logical level, any feasible argument they could put together against that would be as shaky as a two legged chair.

And then there's this hilarious lawsuit.... suing before the monies are even appropriated, i.e. before the act is even done. In the 9th Circuit no less (what a embarrassing farce that court system has become... what's their overturn rate....? Pretty sure it's higher than Snoop Dog) so we know it'll die on the SCOTUS floor, once again abusing the court systems with half-baked lawsuits that fail time and again. Should be a repercussion for that... as well as having an inordinately high overturn rate. Should be added to the system of Checks and Balances.

But hey.... he didn't shutdown the government, did he? Nope. Gave em what they wanted, and since they refused to give him something tangible, he signaled the Senate GOP to pass the bill, signed it, and now we are still going to get something in the way of heightened border security, as soon as they deal with this legal farce.

By and by.... has ANY of the plethora of lawsuits and injunctions the Democrats pushed via the courts actually worked? Because I don't really think any of them survived state and federal level supreme courts. Pretty sure, at best, they have about a 3-5% success rate. That's kind of telling.

MrDude68 likes this.