1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

GPU Recommendation

Discussion in 'NR2003 - PC Support and Troubleshooting' started by ERS, Oct 2, 2018.

1. ERS

ERS Well-Known Member

Looking for advice on GPU upgrade. I currently have a nVidia GeForce GT 740. Experiencing "tear" on some of the newer tracks, esp with MENCup2018 mod. I have compressed car files and applied graphic tweeks. All car files are below 1800 kb. I have 21 cars ahead and 3 cars behind when racing. Pit crews on low detail. My system info is below. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

System specs

Intel i5 CPU
    650 @ 320 GHZ
    16 GB Ram
    Windows 7 64 Bit

2. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Well if you are looking for better support for nr2003, the R9 390 8GB GDDR5 512-bit is pretty stout. nVidia doesn't play nice with nr2003 all the time, and generally speaking, has struggled with it compared to the AMD counterparts.
    I'm running
    i7 4790K @4.2 ghz
    32 GB DDR3 RAM 1600
    Win 7 Ultimate
    XFX R9 390
    and a Samsung Evo 850 Pro 500 GB solid state

I almost NEVER have graphical issues or frames below 60 (if I took the dx9 file out, they usually will float around 170 FPS, but I like the smooth and stable look with the dx9 file)

NascarMan32 and ERS like this.
  3. ERS

ERS Well-Known Member

RacerXero84, I really appreciate the info and advice. I priced the card you listed, and if I am correct, looked like it was in excess of $450. A bit much for my budget for a graphic card, if you know what I mean. But, I did do some research, using what you said about AMD, and found a AMD Radeo RX 570 at Best Buy for $179, supposedly on sale with $190 off, you know how that is I'm sure. Figured, I give it a try. After seeing its massive size and two fans, it barely fit inside my case. Good news is, it took care of my issues. I have been testing it using some heavy graphic tracks, ie. Chicagoland_2018_BB-MC_Night, Kentucky_2013_SDT & Chicagoland_2011_SDT, and NO issues at all. If you care to suggest any other graphic intense tracks, I open to anything to test. Again, thanks so much for your advice.

ERS

4. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

AMD anything. You're just asking for issues with Nvidia if you want a card for NR2003. RacerXero84 is one of the few exceptions that hasn't had much trouble using Nvidia cards with NR2003. I've had the ole trusty ATI 9800 Pro in my old rig and then moved on to the AMD card when AMD bought out ATI for a few of my other PC builds. I decided to get a wild hair and purchased a Nvidia card when I built my new rig a couple of years back and instantly regretted it.

I quickly snatched up a AMD card and NR2003 runs perfectly again. So, in short, I've been using ATI/AMD cards since 1998, and ran Papy games flawlessly. I used 1 Nvidia card during that time and couldn't rip it out of my system fast enough,lol.

RacerXero84 and ERS like this.
  5. Tetronix

Tetronix Winner of Most Pepsi Consumed in a Year

I've run Nvidia cards since 2012. I had the Nvidia GEForce 530M in my old HP Pavilion DV6, ran pretty well for an $800 laptop. This past Christmas, I was surprised with an HP Omen, that included a Notebook Series GTX1060 and i7-7700 inside. Both have run NR like a charm.

Each to their own though. It all depends on whose products you've used before and what you trust and liked as the preference.

ERS likes this.
  6. RacerXero84

Understandable. The key element there is the bus size with AMD cards: NOTHING less than 300+-bit or you are shooting yourself in the foot. Otherwise you will bottleneck at the PCI-e slot.

ERS likes this.
  7. ERS

ERS Well-Known Member

One more question, if I may. First thanks RacerXero84 for AMD recommendation and to MattyO for confirming. It is working great with ALL the tracks. I am having one issue. When my monitor goes into "sleep" mode, when it "awakens" I briefly, about 2-3 seconds, have a static/snowy screen. I have latest drivers installed. I was thinking about installing driver prior to latest version, but wanted to check to see if anyone has another suggestion. Thanks again.

ERS

8. RacerXero84

Try swapping cables between the monitor and the card. Might be a faulty HDMI (or whatever cable you are using)

ERS likes this.
  9. FloridaFan88

FloridaFan88 Well-Known Member

Just to add, I've had a Nvidia GTX 1080 running NR2003 for nearly a year now and have had no issues. I'm also running a dual boot config with Windows 7 Professional and 10. NR2003 is running on Windows 7.

10. ERS

ERS Well-Known Member

I rolled back the driver to a prior version and so far so good. However, I just know once I post this reply, it will have an issue. Thanks for all input.