12 - Menards/Sylvania Mustang - TAL1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
2 - Dent Wizard Mustang - TAL1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
The Fastest ¼ Mile in the Northeast gets the "Full Monty" PST treatment with this 2020 facelift!
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
NXS20 Mustang Template 2048 x 2048 Update MattyO
Bigger rear decal (tail light decal)
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

Gustafson to 24, Letarte to 88, McGrew to 5, Knaus Stays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Roush

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Junior is a good driver.....so is Mark. They both needed new crew chiefs....bottom line.

pennst24

Premier Senior Member
Reaction score
This is absolute garbage, just another way of screwing Mark Martin. Hopefully in 2012 he'll race at at a team that doesn't treat him like a second-rate driver.
In case anyone hasn't notcied, they're doing this all for Junior. Everyone else is up to par fr the most part. Granted, Martin gets jilted, they should've brought Pops Eury to work with Junior and leave everyone else intact.

Even more evidence that this is for only the 88 is that they're pairing him with th 5 time champ. Still, it won't help that team.

Mike24

Retired
SRD Member
Reaction score
Really, Rick, really? I was just starting to accept Johnson a little more as a driver, and finally warming up to a 24/48 shop...and you do this, just to get Jr. moving forward?

I'm not entirely sure that I like Gustafson to the 24...I don't think Letarte was terrible, and he and Jeff did work really well together....but I guess Letarte and Knaus have to be in the same shop.

Interestingly enough...this move may curtail Jimmie's ability to win a 6th, as they won't have the quality info exchange that the 24 always brought to the table...

Will have to feel it out...but right now, I don't like it one bit. You can't break up the 24/48 shop.

Rick makes another move, just to have Jr (who I still don't even really see as a part of HMS, other than that he just happens to drive the 88) possibly improve again. Though, it will be the final year of his contract, and if the Knaus influence in a 48/88 shop can't get him running better...it will be buh bye Dale, thanks for trying.

NukaColaV13

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure that I like Gustafson to the 24...I don't think Letarte was terrible, and he and Jeff did work really well together....but I guess Letarte and Knaus have to be in the same shop.
At least 24 fans can actually hope for a win again.

David24

Supreme Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
You can't break up the 24/48 shop.
Apparently you can.

Rick makes another move, just to have Jr (who I still don't even really see as a part of HMS, other than that he just happens to drive the 88) possibly improve again. Though, it will be the final year of his contract, and if the Knaus influence in a 48/88 shop can't get him running better...it will be buh bye Dale, thanks for trying.
I agree. I always think HMS=24, 48 & 5....oh then that 88 car.

I don't think anyone got the worst. We just have to wait and see what happens next year. Just because Lance and Jr. run terrible doesn't mean Mark will. Same goes for Jr. and Gordon. I mean I also agree with what Alan said, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" but you all have to admit this is going to be really interesting.

Mike24

Retired
SRD Member
Reaction score
At least 24 fans can actually hope for a win again.
We had hope for wins before. I, honestly, liked Letarte. He worked well with Jeff. Were they as successful as I would have liked? No....but they've been able to put themselves in a position to win, often enough.

I do understand shaking it up to see if it can spark Jeff to get some wins again...but we'll just have to see. I just want him to get to at least 85 for his career...please. I just want 3rd on the all-time wins list. That wasn't asking much 3 years ago...but now it seems next to impossible...

DangerMouse

SRD Member
Reaction score
Jr has had how many crew chiefs now? It's not the crew or the crew chief that's the problem. At some point the driver has to be held responsible for the team not doing well. Not saying it's all Jr's fault, but changing crew chiefs every year or 2 isn't helping him either. There is little to no consistency when they change that often.

DE3

SRD Member
Reaction score
I personally think the crew chief shuffle was unnecessary. But apparently Rick saw a better fit personality wise this way.

I'd rather see Jr get Knaus;) just to see how that would work out.

But I do believe moving the 88 team into the same shop as the 48 will pay dividends.

If anything being under the same roof as a 5-time champion my bring some added motivation.

But in the end, communication will be key, Letarte is a good crew chief, and if he and Jr can gel and form a good line of communication, I see no reason for Jr not to make the Chase in '11.

As I see it, Jr's problems really started with the introduction of the COD. I just don't thinks he's got his head wrapped around the differences between it and the old car.
If he can get a crew chief that has it figured out well (Letarte/Knaus--they practically use the same notebook). They can better give him a car each week that he'll be comfortable in, and there-in be more competitive with.

Thanks for letting me ramble...

Last edited:

Mike24

Retired
SRD Member
Reaction score
The other thing that irks me is I don't know how well the Jr. and Jimmie can get along. Jimmie and Chad are preparation savvy...and Jimmie puts 200% into everything from physical fitness to race prep. Jr...just seems too mellow and nonchalant about everything nowadays.

Jeff and Mark will work together rather nicely...in my opinion. Two veterans, classy and respected...both trying to get back to their glory years (though for Mark, he revisited that in '09)

ValvolineMan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The other thing that irks me is I don't know how well the Jr. and Jimmie can get along. Jimmie and Chad are preparation savvy...and Jimmie puts 200% into everything from physical fitness to race prep. Jr...just seems too mellow and nonchalant about everything nowadays.

Jeff and Mark will work together rather nicely...in my opinion. Two veterans, classy and respected...both trying to get back to their glory years (though for Mark, he revisited that in '09)
I think Jeff and Jimmie would get along the most, both of them put everything they have into their racing and have amazing work ethic.

Mike24

Retired
SRD Member
Reaction score
^They already do. We know that. We've always known that. They are great friends off the track...and have worked brilliantly together since '02...The teacher/pupil dynamic which has turned into the pupil surpassing the teacher.

Which led me to my previous query....why swap shops?

JeffJordan

My name is no longer Jeff Jordan
SRD Member
Reaction score
I went to the shops this year.

The Johnson/Gordon just clicks with me. That much hardware in one facility is amazing. They have just about all of Jeff's win trophies, and all of the championships. It's like a mini Hall of Fame.

Mike24

Retired
SRD Member
Reaction score
^This, we also knew (though, he does not suck...he is just in a massive slump, and seems to have lost his competitive drive which fueled him during his early years....it just seems that he just doesn't care anymore...)

dalejrgamer

$9.99/mo
SRD Member
Reaction score
^This, we also knew (though, he does not suck...he is just in a massive slump, and seems to have lost his competitive drive which fueled him during his early years....it just seems that he just doesn't care anymore...)
Yeah, and that's sad, even as a sort-of, kind-of Junior fan. I can only hope that he rebounds in 2011, but I'm not getting my hopes up, especially since he's gonna be paired with Steve Retarde.

I still blame Teresa Earnhardt.

Legacyofthe24

SRD Member
Reaction score
this is friggin perfect. i was just telling somebody this morning that jeff should get gustafson and then this afternoon looks what happens. 2011 is gonna be awesome. this at least gets jeff the hell away from that friggin 48 for the time being. jeff always said he'd like having mark as a teammate, now he's got him as a shopmate too. 2011 cup championship here we come.

ValvolineMan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
^They already do. We know that. We've always known that. They are great friends off the track...and have worked brilliantly together since '02...The teacher/pupil dynamic which has turned into the pupil surpassing the teacher.

Which led me to my previous query....why swap shops?
Whoops, I meant Mark. :lol:

instantCLASSIC

Gokai Change!
SRD Member
Reaction score
I'm intrigued at the shop swap. Having the 88/48 together might be the catalyst for the 88 to step it up. Plus Letarte as CC over there won't hurt a bit. I'm really hoping Gustafson can get the 24 back on track, and get JG that 5th title next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.