5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

Hemric to make Cup debut in #8 RCR Chevy at spring Richmond

AMLNet49

Reaction score
Smokey Mountain to sponsor, scheme is on the Paint Schemes page
———————————————————————
https://www.rcrracing.com/news-media/news/2018/03/20/daniel-hemric-cup-debut-smokey-mountain/
———————————————————————
NASCAR Xfinity Series regular Daniel Hemric is scheduled to make his Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series debut on April 21, 2018 at Richmond Raceway with partner Smokey Mountain Herbal Snuff on the No. 8 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, Richard Childress Racing announced today on FS1’s “NASCAR Race Hub.”

This will be the first of two MENCS events in 2018 for the 27-year-old driver. He will also pilot the No. 8 Smokey Mountain Herbal Snuff Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 at Charlotte Motor Speedway’s Roval on Sept. 30.

While competing in his rookie season in the Xfinity Series, Hemric served as a stand-in driver for RCR in 2017 during MENCS practices at Kansas Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway and ISM Raceway. He also qualified the No. 27 Chevrolet at Texas and served as a test driver for RCR’s Cup teams during the Goodyear Tire test at the Charlotte road course in October 2017.

“You only get one chance to make your Cup Series debut, and it is pretty incredible to know that I am able to do it with Richard Childress Racing and with a partner such as Smokey Mountain Herbal Snuff,” said Hemric.

“RCR and Smokey Mountain Herbal Snuff have been so influential in so many drivers’ careers – a lot of my heroes growing up. To know they will play a large role in the next step of my career and my initial Cup Series debut is very special,” he said.

“Since joining our organization, Daniel Hemric has shown his determination and dedication to this sport both on and off the track,” said Richard Childress, Chairman and CEO of RCR. “He has proven his ability behind the wheel by making the Championship 4 in the Xfinity Series in 2017 and his continued success this season. Making his Cup Series debut is the next step in his career and we are proud to have him take that step with RCR.”

“To make my debut at Richmond will make me feel at home, since I spent years coming up through the ranks at short-tracks across the country. To do it again in front of my hometown crowd in Charlotte later in the year is an overwhelming feeling,” said Hemric. “Many people have laid everything on the line to get me to this point and I am extremely grateful to all of those people for putting me in position to get this shot in the Cup Series. These are going to be two very special weekends, to say the least.”

Smokey Mountain Herbal Snuff served as a primary partner on Hemric’s No. 21 Chevrolet Camaro in the Xfinity Series in four events in 2017, including the dramatic playoff race at ISM Raceway in which Hemric raced his way into the Championship 4.

MattSRD28

SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I get that RCR would prefer not to be confused with the old Dale Jr. stylized #8, but that? Really?

BrendonH12

Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong
Reaction score
I'd love to see Jeffery get a shot in this car as well. I'm a firm believer that everybody, no matter how bad they may seem in garbage cars, should have at least one shot in top-tier equipment. Hopefully it works out for him.

DreamyZack

The Showman
Reaction score
As a Junior fan I feel really uneased by this. That number is special to me and not to take away from Daniel, but there's nothing special about him? Plus now all the Childress cars will have different number fonts and it's not a good look. I guess this is how all the Sr. fans felt in 2014, lol.

Ignoring the number, good for Daniel though.

Phoenix

Wheeze
Reaction score
I wonder why it isn’t the 33, I know Mike said they leased it this year.

MrDude68

Reaction score
As a Junior fan I feel really uneased by this. That number is special to me and not to take away from Daniel, but there's nothing special about him?
What about when Almirola and Mark Martin shared the #8 in 2008? And that was with the same team and number style that Dale Jr. raced with. That had to have been weirder than this.

DreamyZack

The Showman
Reaction score
What about when Almirola and Mark Martin shared the #8 in 2008? And that was with the same team and number style that Dale Jr. raced with. That had to have been weirder than this.
It wasn't really because Dale just left the ride. Now that the number's been dead for years seeing it come back like this is surprising. It's like the number doesn't relate to its past at all which isn't something I feel easy with. (which to be fair, Dale never really did anything truly spectacular in it for their to be a legacy behind it)

But real talk, can RCR just have the 3, 31, and 33 and stop it with this different font random number nonsense. All the 3's make sense and go together.

probowl43

Reaction score
But real talk, can RCR just have the 3, 31, and 33 and stop it with this different font random number nonsense. All the 3's make sense and go together.
Absolutely, I don't know why they wouldn't just have it like that in a nice organized set of cars. The #8 feels out of place. Not to mention it'd really go onto that scheme well, missed opportunity there for sure.

As far as Hemric, this doesn't come as a surprise. He's quickly come up through the ranks and it's just natural that he'll get some select races before eventually moving up full time. Hope he runs solid though.

Brandon Miller

Reaction score
As a Junior fan I feel really uneased by this. That number is special to me and not to take away from Daniel, but there's nothing special about him?

So teams are supposed to consult with fans on how a certain driver running a certain number makes them (fan) feel?

RacerXero84

Obnoxious old fart
Reaction score
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm diggin it. Number font could be changed a bit IMO, but this whole thing is cool by me.

EarnhardtFan

Banned
Reaction score
not to take away from Daniel, but there's nothing special about him?
Just a bit of my opinion here, but what about running consistently all season and making it to the championship 4, while not having a win and being outshined by other rookies like Byron? I realize he probably isn't the first, but I think that's something

mtblillie

It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy
Reaction score
This isn't the first time a number associated with a popular driver made a comeback. The 3 and 42 come to mind, and honestly it won't take that long before it's no big deal. As for the style it is likely to avoid a fight with Teresa, I'm pretty sure she still owns the rights to the DEI style number 8 (which is same style used by RCR), and she refused to even let Junior use it when he went to Hendrick (hence the different 88). It probably would have been better to go with a whole different number altogether, like 27, 30, or 33.

DreamyZack

The Showman
Reaction score
Just a bit of my opinion here, but what about running consistently all season and making it to the championship 4, while not having a win and being outshined by other rookies like Byron? I realize he probably isn't the first, but I think that's something
I didn't mean to take away from Daniel because I feel good about him getting a Cup ride in general, defintely deserves it, it's the fact they decided now would be a good time to bring the 8 back is... interesting.

MrDude68

Reaction score
My thought is that Daniel probably requested the #8 for some reason, or this car would be the #29 or #33. There's no reason on the surface of it that Childress would suddenly decide this is going to be the #8 car. He has no history with the number.

Phoenix

Wheeze
Reaction score
The eurostile 8 is still a copyright registered trademark, and its likeness would get RCR in legal trouble.

This 8 was an RCR number for varius years between 1966 and 1981. It ran on everything from dirt street stocks to the sportsman series. The only time before Richmond that an RCR 8 hasn’t been styled this way, was in the truck series in 99, before the modern RCR number was copyrighted by a sour individual.

As for Jr fans getting bent out of shape over the 8 coming back.... figures. He hasn’t used it since 2007, multiple drivers have run it since. I don’t understand why Jr fans can’t be rational like @dalejr88rox