Here's an Idea: More SRD Series

Discussion in 'SRD Suggestion Box' started by jordanvile, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jordanvile

jordanvile Godspeed, Justin Wilson

Here's a thought I just had. Okay, a BIG reason people come to this site is because they love NR2003 and they probably are in a lot of offline series. Why should they have to wait until they post 125 times to join a series? And then you of course have the "quality over quantity" rule (which I do agree with in the case of spamming, but not this case). Anyways, my thought is if you have people coming here for offline stuff, why not have something available to them on Day #1? For instance, beyond trucks, there should be an SRD Late Model Series, that needs around 50-75 posts to join, and then an SRD Modified Series, that needs no posts to join. Through being in a series, it will allow drivers to accumulate more posts throughout their time in a series, and allow them to move up in the ranks. In other words, there are probably people here who want to join a series, but don't feel like waiting to have posted 125 posts before joining. Look at YouTube series! Tell me how many of them have requirements! Barely any (if there are any, hardly any of them relate to who can be in what). So my suggestion is to either drop the "you need ___ posts to do this" rule or find people (like myself) who would be willing to run more offline series on SRD. Thank you.

2. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Arabella

Or you can get some of your friends or people on another community to run your own offline series...

3. jordanvile

I do that....quite frequently. In fact I run my own. But as large as the SRD community is, I personally would like to see more series

4. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Arabella

I'd do the same but I don't have friends :c

5. jordanvile

Well now i feel bad...

6. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

I think the post rule is in place to reward the more reliable and regulars of SRD to participate in the leagues. The issue with the offline section, while cool, mostly consisted of spam and not too many reliable series stuck through. The SRD ones are run by solid rock people who maintain the series and make sure it starts and then completes. Everyone who is part of said leagues also participate as well so it's not one one sided dialogue every time a race occurs.

Last year I was invited to join one even though I probably qualified to join much earlier if I chose. It definitely felt more than just a random offline series because everyone made sure to paint their cars and be ready for when the series would begin.

I'd say if we are gunna bring back an offline forum we should have 1-2 people who maintain the area. They don't run any of the leagues members do but if that series starts to become spammy or inactive they lock/clean up said threads. Basically they would act as sifters and only allow well maintained series last.

I don't know what the current admin thinks of offline leagues but if it comes back some form of sub-moderation (of dedicated people who don't mind the work) would be needed to make it a worthwhile section again.

7. DanAsher26

DanAsher26 Well-Known Member

The issue with more SRD Leagues is that there's barely enough people to run the leagues. Indycar was dead for a year befote it was revived, and I think CUP doesnt even have someone running it right now.

The post count is there for a reason. Should a user who signed up 2 days ago qualify for a ride in the top series? No. Im not sure if theres a post count rule for Trucks, but I could propose that if there is one, its dropped, since its the newest one and meant to be a development series.

1 person likes this.
  8. jordanvile

Exactly! I almost spammed 125 times when I joined, before Matt stopped me at 50. If I want to race, give me a good reason why i can't! I've got 70 posts, and I'm an active NASCAR fan. I agree with you 100% on that one.

9. labontefanboy

labontefanboy Well-Known Member

Because there's a limited number of seats available in any given series, and they should be reserved for respected members of the SRD community. Just because you want to race as a newbie doesn't mean you have the same rights as somebody who wants to race but has been on the site for 5 years and has posted 1,500 times.

I can without a doubt say that I highly doubt there are going to be any additional SRD Series. Like Dan said, it's already enough of a struggle to find somebody competent enough to run one. I'm sure there's plenty of people who would like to throw their names into the hat to run one, but SRD isn't going to let just anybody take control of one. It's only going to be somebody who has successfully run a longstanding offline league on another site or on SRD before the Offline Leagues section was removed, and those qualified people are few and far between.

1 person likes this.
  10. jordanvile

I understand your point. And your point is why I made mine. There should be an opportunity for SRD newbies to hop into a series. Whether it's a new series, or a pre-season shootout race for 1 or 2 rides in a series. But anyways, I believe it was Dr. Seuss who made the famous quote "Be the change you want to see in the world." I wish I could run it, but you SRD people wouldn't take my 75 posts as enough experience, so if I could do something about this, I would. But I'm saying this to the moderators here at SRD that have so far replied to my comments. If you like or have a variation of what I said, why not put it into use? If you got time on your hands, why can't you make a series? Why can't I? Because I only have 75 posts. So I'm hoping someone will read this and be motivated to step up to the challenge. And yes, I do in fact have experience in running an offline series.

11. Chronos

Chronos Bender of Fenders

Honestly, I think there should be an ARCA series for people with 10-250 posts.

Just my opinion, though.

1 person likes this.
  12. DanAsher26

DanAsher26 Well-Known Member

If SRD were to add another league, ARCA should be it. I don't think that will happen though, not unless someone with experience steps up. And even then, our first priority is getting Cup and Trucks up and running. (Don't think cause I said if we added one means we will...there's a very slim chance that happens.)

13. Zoom

Zoom Real Men Race Dirt

I always thought a dirt series would be cool but like the other guys said "staffing" is the issue. I'd be up to run one and I have a decent resume but I'm not sure it meets the SRD standards. I think that's fine though. This site is popular because it's always kept in good hands so having these requirements keeps it that way. Can't have Joe Shmoe come in and run a big part of this site.

1 person likes this.
  14. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator, Cup champ. Moderator

When Mike and I first started talking about another series to go with Cup and IndyCar, I had suggested an ARCA series. Those talks lead to the eventual forming of the National Series. I ran the National Series for two years. We had reasons why post count was important to us. One of them was that we wanted members who wanted to contribute to not only the series, but to SRD as a whole. Another was that we wanted the members involved to be fully aware with how to act on SRD (which we/I felt has a higher standard than an average site). Finally, we also wanted "veterans" in the mix to "teach" members how to act in the SRD NNS Series. Again, that means holding up to a higher standard than an average offline league. Because the standards are higher, the guys who run the series have to bring their "A" game every time out. That means every race is run, every race is detailed. I did it for two years and it wore me out. I could do it again, but that's up to the powers-that-be. I think it's more important that trucks get started up again before anything else.

John

15. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

Anyone can enter the SRD Pick'em Series at any time. ;)

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.