1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Honda considering Nascar

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by Mystical, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

https://www.autosport.com/nascar/news/146931/honda-nascar-interest-but-at-cost-of-indycar-imsa

https://uk.motor1.com/news/379810/honda-nascar-manufacturer-makes-sense/

This was always just a fictional dream for me always having Honda in my NR2003 series. It is by no means going to happen at this point but the fact that Honda is considering it means it could happen. I've been wanting some more manufacturers in nascar for a long time, never thought Honda would be the one considering it though which is crazy, seems like a dream it is even being considered.

What do you guys think?

joeykraus19 likes this.
  2. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong Moderator

If somebody's willing to put that kind of money into this sport, I'm all for it! I'd love to see Dodge return, but I'd love to see a brand new manufacturer as well.

starscream24 and Mystical like this.
  3. FloridaFan88

FloridaFan88 Well-Known Member

Not happening anytime soon. The amount of money it takes to be competitive in NASCAR is very, very high, look at Toyota and what they had to do to get where they are today. Furthermore, HPD would have to eliminate their IMSA and IndyCar racing programs. Those programs do a lot more as far as road car research and development than a NASCAR program would, as those cars use V6 engines. Additionally, Honda doesn't manufacture V8 engines, they're all-in on V6s. As long as NASCAR's rules don't allow for V6s, I don't think Honda and others will participate.

nascarfreak88, Tetronix and Mystical like this.
  4. db512

db512 2011 SRD Cup Series Champion

Well the one thing is if a new manufacturer is coming into the sport it won't be until 2022 at the earliest and with all the talk of a new engine in Nascar to attract new makes it would not surprise me one bit if they make the move to V6. All the current makes produce more V6 options than V8 anyway but the other three offer V8 options. So it is very viable that someone like Honda may be coming along.

Mystical likes this.
  5. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

It would not surprise me one bit if this actually happened. The more the better!

canadienhits likes this.
  6. nascarfreak88

nascarfreak88 Sarcasmus pessimus

Plz, no. If Honda jumps to NASCAR, we probably lose their hand in IndyCar and and Acura in IMSA. They need Honda way more than NASCAR does. Not to mention they're finally doing well in F1.

IF they can somehow manage NASCAR along with those other ones, then by all means. But if they gotta drop at least one of those, naw from me dawg.

MrDude68 likes this.
  7. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

IMSA is owned by NASCAR. So I seriously doubt Honda would halt operations in IMSA, UNLESS NASCAR eventually does to them what they just did to ARCA/K&N, strikes me they are trying to consolidate North American racing series into something more streamlined and increase their market value.

8. JNieder51188

JNieder51188 Well-Known Member

This has been my line of thinking for a while now. They're trying to go with as much spec stuff as possible and running parts that are similar to a sports car (diffusers, etc.). In a few years I'd imagine Cup being a bastardized form of IMSA that won't be fun to watch with less horsepower and a terrible aero package.

9. 123456789colton

123456789colton Well-Known Member

Lets bring VW into the mix! I would be a huge fan of that happening.

10. Keselowski2Wallace

Keselowski2Wallace Keselowski2Wallace

so who would Honda get?

RCR with their Engine Shop?
    Penske with their Engine Shop?
    Hendrick will stay with Chevy.
    Roush will stay with Ford
    Gibbs will stay with Toyota.

11. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

RCR is unlikely to switch, but not impossible. Penske seems the most obvious choice for a 'big' team. Pretty much all of the lower teams are fair game.

12. RacerXero84

Hendrick has a relationship with Honda (check the listed number of dealerships), and if Chevy isn't supporting his team the way they should, do not count him out to make a business decision, because that's ALL it is, business. He might have made his name with Chevy, but Chevy isn't doing so hot.

It's been made quite clear the CEO of Chevy has no love of racing, and it wouldn't surprise me if she continues to cut that department budget. IF they change CEO's to someone more attached to the roots of Chevrolet, then I can see the statement that Hendrick would stay with Chevy bearing more weight. But right now, Chevy is NOT supporting their teams the way they should, and hasn't been since around 2013.

RCR is not beholden to a manufacturer, and while Penske seems content with the support from Ford, he has, and likely would, make the decision to swap if he believes an edge is to be gained. Ganassi is another team not discussed; they definitely have no clear cut loyalties to GM, and could easily make the change if he believed it would give him an edge as well.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  13. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

Its starting to make sense why Chevy just hasn't felt the same these past few years for sure.

mtblillie and RacerXero84 like this.
  14. Keselowski2Wallace

But Ganassi doesnt have a Engine shop... those 5 i listed have Engine shops, unless Ganassi has one for the Indy side that im unaware of.

15. Keselowski2Wallace

i also see it as this. Roger Penske can switch both teams over to Honda, NASCAR and Indcar and have all his Engines built out of 1 shop.

16. MWick4

MWick4 SRD SuperTruck Series Director

While it would be nice for Honda to find a big team to latch onto in their debut season it wouldn't be the end of the world if they don't. Toyota came to Cup in '07 with crappy teams like MWR, Red Bull, and Bill Davis, then landed Gibbs in 2008 by showing their commitment to building a successful program. If Honda can come in with a couple mid-ish range teams and build something halfway decent with the same commitment Toyota had coming in I'm sure they'd be able to land someone big two or three years in.

Gibbs had an engine program that made the switch from Chevy to Toyota before they finally merged it with TRD in 2012. It would be a bitch to make the switch but if a team doesn't feel like they're getting the absolute best out of Chevy they could just as easily go for it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    joeykraus19 likes this.
  17. RacerXero84

Yeah, I started doing research as to why, and came to the conclusion that their drop in support is directly linked to the new CEO, who outsourced a ton of jobs, cut the racing department budget by almost a 3rd within a year of taking control, and has moved the company into an anti-racing, more looks than performance business model.... and generally speaking, it's failing.