1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

How to create and render a scene in 3ds max WITHOUT BRAZIL

Discussion in 'Creating Scenes' started by HoosierDaddy, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Well-Known Member

PLEASE ADD TO MY REPUTATION IF YOU LIKE THIS TUT!

A lot of people have been compaining that they cannot get Brazil to work.

I mean, don't you hate downloading a scene and as soon as you load it into 3ds you get a window saying it can't find a wide range of plug-ins?

I'm here to help. Follow my tutorial and I promise you will get some great results. Lets get started!

Download this file: http://www.simracingdesign.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=351

Open it in 3ds max and just keep clicking until you see it in the one big window.

Now, click ALT+w. This will split you into your default window setting (Usually 4 windows)

Now, press F10 and scroll to the bottom of the menu. Open up Assign Render.
    Next to Production there is a box that has "..." in it. Click it and choose, Mental Ray.
    Do the same for Material Editor.

Scroll to the top of the menu and put in the dimensions for however big you want your render to be. 1024x768 should be fine.

Close this window

Now click the top right view window and press "T" this will give you a top view.

Click the view window in the bottom left and press "L". This will give you the left view.

Now, look at the top menu of the screen and press "Create" and then "Standard Primitives" then "Plane"

Single click the top right window (Top View) and use your scroll wheel to zoom out. Now drag your plane around your car. Give your self a lot of room.

Now go back to "Create" and this time click "Cameras" then "Target Camera"

In the top view drag from the back right corner of the car all the way to about 20 feet in front of the front left corner of the car. You will now see a camera with a blue line coming out of it. The line is attached to a little box. The box is your target and the line is the line of sight and the camera is just that. A camera.

Single Click your bottom right view and press "C". This will show you what the camera sees. Now, using your left view and top view. Position the camera where you want it.

Best way to do this is to select the "Select and Move" tool from the top of the screen. (It looks like a cross hair). Now, click the camera in the left view and lift it up a little over the car. Now in the top view, select the camera target and drag it to about half a car length beyond your target car and keep it on the ground. Now you should be looking towards and somewhat down at your car and slightly at an angle.

If you want, you can press f9 to preview your render. But before you do, single click the camera view in the bottom right (if that's the window you chose for your camera view) and then press f9. Your basically telling 3ds you want to render that view.

X out your render and press 8. Under "Background' UNCHECK "Use Map" and set the color to black.

Under Global Lighting, set the color on the left to white or a white-ish gray color and set the color box on the right to black.

Under "Exposure Control" select the pull down menu and select "Automatic Exposure Control"

Now your scene is ready to render and now we just need to get the textures loaded.

Press "M". This brings up your Materials Menu. As you can see there are a bunch of balls. (Don't Laugh, I don't feel like spelling out Sphere over and over)

Scroll to the bottom so we know we are working with some blank...balls.

(Get in the Habit of naming your Materials. Please)

Select the ball on the left and where it says "?? - Default" type in the name "Plane"

A little further down you will see some check boxes on the right. Click "2-Sided".

On the left side are 3 color boxes. 2 gray and a white one. This is going to be your floor color. Right now, keep it as gray.

Under that there is a "Maps" section. Click it to open it and scroll down to "Reflection". Click the box to the right that says "NONE". Scroll down on the menu that pops up and select "RAYTRACE" a new menu pops up. Leave everything as is and in the top right you will see a button that looks like a dude with a blue arrow pointing up over him. Click it, that is your PARENT BUTTON.

Now next to reflection is a number value. Change this to 20.

Now click the next ball over and name this one Wheel. It seems that all of the models rims are transparent, that is fine. We can make better ones.

After naming this material, look down at the 3 color boxes, change the top two to Black.

Under that is "Specular Highlights". Change the Specular Level to 100 and change the Glossiness to 65.

Now you can see the effect on the material ball.

Scroll down to maps and under reflection, again choose RAYTRACE and then click the parent button and set this value at about 15.

Now click another ball.

Name this Car Paint.

Scroll down to maps and then click the NONE box next to "Diffuse Color". Now click "Bitmap" in the box that pops up. Find your car texture that you painted. Click Okay. Hit the Parent Button. Make sure this is set to 100.

Look down to "Bump" and click the NONE box. Choose Bitmap again and this time, find the Chevy COT bump map that came in the 3ds scene you downloaded. Set this value to 100.

Now under reflection set it to 10 or 15 and then click the NONE box and choose RAYTRACE. Click the parent button. Now your all set.

Drag your PLANE material over onto the plane in your Camera view.
    Now drag your Car material to anywhere on the CAR BODY. Not the windows nothing else. THE CAR BODY. Don't get cute. Just put it on the door or hood. It will auto fit. Amazing Technology.

Now with the wheels. Drag it over and apply it to Rim, New Rim and Rim Back or something.

Now press F9 to make sure everything is grooving.

It looks good but could be better. Lets add lights. This is easy.

In the top right of your screen press the first tab. It looks like a mouse arrow with a light on the tip. Under that are some icons. Choose the third from the left. It looks like a light. Brilliant.

Make sure Photometric is selected and choose "Target Light".

Now JUST like we did the camera, we are going to lay out the light. In the TOP view. Drag the light starting in the area of the camera and drag it towards the camera target. Now in the LEFT view drag the light ball way up high, but now to high. Just enough that the shadows look good on the car in the CAMERA view.

Now, click the little "BLUE ARCH" in the top right of the screen.

Fill it in just like this;
    [​IMG]

Let me explain this a little bit.

Area shadows look real. They look good. No worries.

The intensity is how bright the light is. Make sure that both numbers are the same.

Shape should be rectangle and both numbers should remain the same. If it's a low number the shadows will be darker and have a very defined edge. The higher the number it get's blurry and little grayer.

Make sure that shadows and your light are on.

Moving on. Press F9 and see what you've done. Keep rendering and adjusting the light position and and values of the light until you have the desired effect.

Now, that looks good, but it's still not there.

One last step, Click the mouse arrow with the light again and use the pull down menu to select "Standard" and then click "Skylight". Set the value for the for about .5 or 1.

Click anywhere in the top view to place it. Where you place it, it doesn't matter. It's like putting a big ambient light in the room.

Now press F9 again. See the difference? Killer.

Now click your car and up at the top under "Group" select "Ungroup"

Now click a tire and do the same..."Group" then "Ungroup"

Now click the front tire that's facing the camera and then at the top of the screen, choose the rotate tool. Click it on the tire in your "camera" view and rotate it outwards by about 17. (The values are at the bottom of the screen). Or you can just manually enter the value. If you want to add another car for your rear view, just select all the tires and the car body, group it and then press CTRL+C then CTRL+v and click okay. Then using your move and rotate tool, put it into position using your top view. Remember to apply the Wheel material we made to this side of the car to.

Now press F9 and the press "Cancel" in the pop up render box.

Shrink the render window and you will see 2 sliders at the bottom. Move the top slider to 1/16 and the bottom one to medium. Anymore and you really can't see the difference, but it takes 5x times as long. Also, on the left there is a box that says "bounces" put this to 1. You really can't see a difference between one and 2 while using mental ray.

There you go. Your done.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
    13 people like this.
  2. HoosierDaddy

If you wanna know how to get the cool whit reflections all over the car let me know. I'll make a tut for that to.

1 person likes this.
  3. mgcastro

mgcastro Former SRD Staff

Very detailed tutorial John. So basically to make your own Non-Brazil scene to work properly, is to replace the Brazil materials such as glass and rims with default 3ds-Max materials done by one.

4. HoosierDaddy

the glass has a hdri or hdmi reflection and it shows up propperly so there is no need to do anything with the glass although i do change the reflection to raytrace so its consistant with the body. also make sure you press 8 and turn off the map and chANGE THAT COLOR TO BLACK OR GREY. it WILL affect your overall lighting. WHITE WILL BE BRIGHTER AND BLACK...DARKER. sorry, im on a cell phone typing this... :)

5. hybodo

hybodo Well-Known Member

Problem with Car body Material

I'm not sure if this is where I should post this but anyway....

After I select all of the options for the paint...ball... and add my custom paint design to it using the diffuse color as said in the tutorial, my car body always comes out gray, any suggestions?

6. Michael James

Michael James MJ

yeah can you make one someone with max 7 can use like ummm...... me

7. HoosierDaddy

Did you then drag the ball onto the car model?

8. jvcrewchief

jvcrewchief Well-Known Member

Thanks man. this helped alot. I can't see the settings you used for the target light. So I just guessed. worked ok.

9. hybodo

hybodo Well-Known Member

Yea, I did. I am using 3ds max 2009

10. HoosierDaddy

Here is the light settings...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. jvcrewchief

jvcrewchief Well-Known Member

Thanks John.

1 person likes this.
  12. Fernando

Fernando Well-Known Member

Which modifications to the tutorial should i follow if i use the Mercedes-Benz COT template by Lurn2Burn?

13. jarrettkmccoy

jarrettkmccoy Member

So do you have a tutorial on how to do this also?

14. HoosierDaddy

Sure. You can watch my tut video's I posted.

15. Gchap

Gchap Member

Will this same tut work for Max8?

16. HoosierDaddy

Should. If you have mental ray. Try it out and let me know if you have probs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.