1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

How to use Sandbox?

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by Michael James, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael James

Michael James MJ

Essentially I want to learn how to make a track and I know that you have to use sandbox to do that. So I was wondering how to use sandbox and really just how to make a track.
    Thanks for your answers.

2. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

I would go to the Pits for any help dealing with track modding. I used to be somewhat familiar with Sandbox but the first thing you should do is open up an existing track and play around with it. See what everything does and stuff.

3. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

3 people like this.
  4. riviera71

riviera71 Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  5. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links!

6. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Cruising at Warp 9

7. riviera71

8. Michael James

Michael James MJ

I've tried like 80 times, and it just doesn't open (sandbox).

9. John Waylon

John Waylon Well-Known Member

Hello, old friend!

This is the guy to take notes from, he essentially got me through Littlefield, and he's a big part of the reason I am able to do what I do today.

The best advice I can give about Sandbox: get out before you learn what you're doing. It is hands down one of the most frustrating tools and programs you'll ever encounter. It takes hours upon hours to complete a track, and even more hours upon hours to learn how to use.

Sometimes I wish I'd never learned to do it, but I did. it does make it worthwhile though to see others getting joy and fun out of your works, though.

10. Michael James

Michael James MJ

How do you zoom out on it, I am following the tut and I can't seem to zoom out to follow it to a tee

11. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Cruising at Warp 9

From the Sandbox Overview doc...

2 people like this.
  12. Michael James

Michael James MJ

Anyone know of a tutorial on how to make the track work in the game? The tut's given don't have any.

13. John Waylon

John Waylon Well-Known Member

here, for me, is the hard part. Building the track.ini file, the cam file, and the .lp files. I had a guy who did all of mine for me because he was good with them, but he recently left for iRacing and now I've got Dodge of Racetrackcentral.org doing them for me. There is a tutorial somewhere on how to build a track.ini, but I read it bit for bit, copied it all over, and still didn't have much luck with it. Once it's built I can do all the wizardry I need to do to it, but getting it built isn't for me.

14. TheJ

TheJ Well-Known Member Banned

to get a completely bare track just to work in testing mode, you need to place these 3dos in the track:

the main flagger(s/f line guy) which is usually called flagger_sf_r

flagger_pit_0 which is the guy who tells if pits are open or not

flagger_stopgo_0 guy with the stop/go paddle

then you need these 3 setups inside the track folder

fast.cup.sim arcade.cup.sim qualify.cup.sim

oh and also a tsd file, i think tsd_startfinish.mip which is your start/finish line,

at least what i did with my 1st scratchbuilt track was just copy a .cam and .ini from a similar track, but unless its like an exact copy of that track, there will be tons of number editing you gotta do. lp files arent needed if you just want to run in testing mode, but if you decide to run AI without editing lp files, they will follow the centerline.

(((glad i kept a notepad with all this info, lol :p )))

1 person likes this.
  15. riviera71

To get it to load in testing session (ie no AI):
    just make sure that the track folder and the .ptf (no need to pack it :) ) are named exactly the same.
    Next copy a .cam file and name that the same too.
    Copy the fast.cup.sim setup from another track and drop in the folder (assuming you have the cup "mod" still installed. If you've deleted it you'll need to copy setups named fast.cts.sim, fast.gns.sim and fast.pta.sim too)
    Finally copy a track.ini from somwhere and change (for now) only the trackname so that you recognize it in the drop down and the first pitstall location. It doesn't have to be on pitroad (again for now ;) ) so you can use 'stall_0 = 0.00 0.00 0.00'. That will put your car in the middle of the track on the start finish line.

Do NOT copy any lp-files and put in there. LP-files are very track specific and if you put other lp-files in there it'll cause the track not to load.

edit: If you're gonna run in arcade mode you'll have to copy an arcade.cup.acd and put in there too (this is the setup file for arcade mode)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
    2 people like this.
  16. Michael James

Michael James MJ

Thanks guys Ill try it out later. Also, I dont understand the pit road tutorial in the ones posted.

17. Michael James

Michael James MJ

So, how do I do that, do I add it in sandbox or a file in the folder. And where can I find the file? Thanks

18. Michael James

Michael James MJ

Well, with a little bit of trial and error I finally got the track working and here are some screenshots.
    Its a .500 mile track and the dirt area is the pit road. IDK, I dont like the track but for my first one it is ok. I don't want to do much more just figure out the pit roads and take a stab at banking it. I ran a 17 sec here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. TheJ

TheJ Well-Known Member Banned

definitely not bad for a first track, i dont even want to remember what my first ""track"" looked like:twitcy:

what exactly are you having problems with when it comes to the pits? what you need to do is assign the outside lane of dirt to be "pit road" and the inside lane "pit stall", and i would make it a little wider than that and add a wall. also "apron near pits" where you want the AI to merge in and out. to actually program working stalls, its in the INI, look at the attachment. stall_0 is the last stall, the one the pole sitter gets, and 42 is the first stall. i'm assuming you know about the dlong and dlat, the 3rd set of numbers(which mine are all 0.0) determines how angled the car will be compared to the centerline, but since you have a straight pit road keep that 0.0 as well, those #'s are in meters by default, so try to keep i think its like 7-8 meters between stalls. also it doesnt look like you have room for 43 cars unless the pits are expanded, so you need to delete stall_whatevernumbersyoudontgetto.

howeva, for the ai to do anything properly at all in the pits you need lp files, pit0.lp is the main line the AI will take through the pits and around the track as they pit, also maxpit0 and minpit0, which are the innermost and outermost lines the ai will take while pitting. if you decide to go a 2 pit road route, you have to make 2 seperate lp's, for the 2nd pit those would be pit1.lp, maxpit1, etc.

i'm sure i missed something important as i literally just learned all this myself last week:wacko:, so i'm sure these more experienced guys will probably help you out more:p

Attached Files:

• ini.JPG
      ini.JPG
      File size:
      74.5 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  20. Michael James

Michael James MJ

No J, your amazing! lol Your helping me a lot thanks! Anyway I am done with this track (for my first track that I will actually do is a .3 mile track in Nova Scotia). This track I have, I'm just going to mess around with the banking and stuff.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.