1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Jeff Gordon

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by labonte21, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labonte21

labonte21 Well-Known Member

Does anyone think that he will be able to win one more title before he retires? Personally, I don't think he is going to win another championship, now he'll definitely win another race, but not a title.

2. Willjr3129

Willjr3129 Well-Known Member

Hope so, but there is some much competion these days. 48 and the 14 I think will dominate for a few more years

3. Markfan

Markfan Sim Racing Designosaur

Definitely has the fire in him, he was the best driver of 2004 and 2007 (and was far more deserving of the title than Kurt and Jimmie, respectively) and had the best average finish of 2009 (Jeff had a 10.2, while Jimmie and Tony had 11.1 and 10.4). I kind of feel that people underrate his viability because of the chase, and that he definitely will be capable of winning another. Heck, without the points system changes, he would have been tied for earning the most titles in the Nextel-Sprint era.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  4. labonte21

In 2007 Jimmie won 10 races, Gordon won 6, I mean personally, I don't know how the points would have ended up had there been no chase, but I think he is capable of winning a title, I just don't think he will.

5. Markfan

Markfan Sim Racing Designosaur

I'm not going to get more into that than to mention that Jeff Gordon had an average finish of 7.3 (the highest amount achieved in NASCAR within the 21st century, compared to Jimmie's 10.8 and career high of 9.7), had 30 top 10s (A modern era record, compared to Jimmie's 24 top 10s in that season), had 1 more top 5 and led more laps. Wins aren't everything.

6. labonte21

I know wins aren't everything, I just didn't know what the other stats were. That's why I don't like the Chase, you can do mediocre for 7 months, and do great the last 3 and you win the title. It's really unfair and stupid.

7. No1JGfan

No1JGfan Well-Known Member

He also had a 317 point lead over stewart going into Richmond then because, Johnson had 2 more wins than Jeff, he jumped up 5 positions to the lead going into the first race at Loudon. So yeah I think Jeff pretty much had the championship wrapped up without the chase.

8. labonte21

That's right, that was the year he had that huge lead and the stupid chase screwed him over. For some reason I thought that was 2006. Yeah, he should have won that year.

9. zaw24fan

zaw24fan SRD National Series Director Paint Crew

According to Jayski, Gordon would have won in 2004 by 47 points, and in 2007 by 353 points.

1 person likes this.
  10. labonte21

Yeah, the chase really screwed him over.

11. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

Not really, everyone knew the points system going in and the other teams just learned to adjust to the 10 race style.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.