1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

Jeremy Clements Suspended

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by burtonbraves, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burtonbraves

burtonbraves Fictional Extraordinaire

Official Release regarding Jeremy Clements

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Feb. 27, 2013) – Jeremy Clements, a driver in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, has been indefinitely suspended from NASCAR for violating the sanctioning body’s Code of Conduct.

On Feb. 24 at Daytona International Speedway, Clements was found to have violated Sections 7-5 (NASCAR’s Code of Conduct) and 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing).

“During the course of an interview, Jeremy Clements made an intolerable and insensitive remark,” said Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR senior vice president of racing operations. “NASCAR has a Code of Conduct that’s explicitly spelled out in the 2013 NASCAR Rule Book. We fully expect our entire industry to adhere to that Code.”

I hope more light is shed on this soon, Jeremy really doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would go aorund saying insensitive things...

2. Devin41

Devin41 I wanna go fast!

From Catchfence:
    Doesn't seem like the punishment fits the crime...a fine maybe, but an indefinite suspension seems like waaaaaaay to much.

6 people like this.
  3. PenskePower

PenskePower Well-Known Member

Jeff Gluck (via Twitter)

"Dunno if this is it, but I just found an interview with Clements from last week in which he speculated NASCAR fixed the pole for Danica."

1 person likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Well-Known Member

TheOrangeCone had retweeted a line from Jeremy where he said the Daytona 500 was one of the most boring races he'd ever seen. He has since deleted that tweet in the past 10 minutes.

5. BillyJack79

BillyJack79 20 Years of Sim Racing

What could he possibly have said that would warrant an indefinite suspension?

1 person likes this.
  6. F44GPW

F44GPW Member

I came here expecting drugs, and learn NASCAR is playing Stalin? Well if that isn't BS I don't know what is.

12 people like this.
  7. burtonbraves

burtonbraves Fictional Extraordinaire

2 possibilities are when he said:

1. The Daytona 500 was the most boring 500 he's seen
    2. Nascar fixed the pole for Danica

Neither of those really seem like things that would cause him to be suspended though...

1 person likes this.
  8. Mo Neenja31

Mo Neenja31 Rocketman Banned

According to the article, he said something "insensitive"... Something derogatory?

9. RP Motorsports

RP Motorsports Well-Known Member

I'm pretty confident it was neither of those.

For NASCAR to actually suspend someone due to an "intolerable and insensitive remark", its going to be something way beyond "the race was boring" or "maybe they fixed the pole". How many times has Stewart basically mocked NASCAR during interviews talking about how bad the racing was.

Steve O'Donnell's description tells me it was something either racist or sexist.

2 people like this.
  10. IMCool332

IMCool332 Well-Known Member

If wikipedia is to be believed, check out Jeremy Clements' page. I don't want to say what is written there, and of course, let that be taken with a grain of salt given the source.

11. Talkingheads77

Talkingheads77 Well-Known Member

Whose his publicist? Steven Taranto?

12. Frigus5

Frigus5 Proud Fan of Romain Grosjean

I don't even understand that either when reading the article.

This is massively confusing...

13. LarryFoyt50

LarryFoyt50 All the Colors in my Head

I don't get. Well, the Daytona 500 was a snoozer a bit. We'll wait for more details.

14. Devin41

Devin41 I wanna go fast!

What ever happened to freedom of speech?!

4 people like this.
  15. RP Motorsports

RP Motorsports Well-Known Member

Steve O'Donnell just said on twitter it didnt have anything to do with Clement's comments about the race being boring. Like I said before, NASCAR wouldnt suspend someone for that.

Someone else commented and said it was from Clement's interview with Planet Radio (whatever the hell that is).

16. Relly

Relly Well-Known Member

I just looked at his Wikipedia, and whatever was written there has been taken down.

I would think that we would have seen something on Jayski, ESPN, SPEED, FoxSports etc., about the interview if it was that bad. And neither the Daytona 500 tweet or the Danica tweet is suspend-able IMO, not even Dictator Stern in the NBA suspends people for something they say. Anyway, I could be wrong but, wasn't there a driver in the 500 that said it was a boring race?

This is real head scratcher, because Jeremy seems like a pretty mild mannered guy who would't say something like this, and I don't see how you can get suspended because of a comment that flew under the radar.

I'm definitely interested to see where this goes.

Edit: It appears the 500 tweet is not the offense

17. NNS

NNS Well-Known Member

This is bull****

1 person likes this.
  18. JRRacing64

JRRacing64 Well-Known Member

Freedom of speech doesn't exist when you are part of a multi-billion dollar corporation such as Nascar. No different then in any other sports league these days.

19. Devin41

Devin41 I wanna go fast!

Well I think it should exist :-/

20. Devin41

Devin41 I wanna go fast!

But I guess if it's in the rulebook that you can't make insensitive comments, then rules are rules, pay the price but a suspension seems too harsh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.