Updated

Just a question for your guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I use to detail cars for a living. With spring right around the corner. How many of you guys would like a step by step with pictures on how to do it your self. My car right now is a mess on both the inside and out side. It really not that hard. Just it takes a weekend of your time. If only a few people show a interest I will post it up. Just give me about a month before I can do it. Its still pretty cold up here in WI.

HoosierDaddy

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
YES yes and yes. I just had my car washed and vacuumed and everything wiped down. But that's the freakin basics. I wanna polish and wax and buff my car. Get the scratches out. I wanna clean my headlights and do whatever I can to the leather and inside to get it back up to snuff. I have what looks to be dried water drops on the inside of the glass to my gauge cluster. How do I clean that? The clear coating over the letters of my automatic shifter is bubbling. No bueno...

So yes, hit me with all your tricks master, I am the student.

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Now the leather I can't do. As I don't have leather. But I will give you guys ideas on how to clean and protect it. I might have to use a buddys truck for that. I will also give links to products I didn't use and that also work. Most of the stuff I will use you can find at any car store. If you don't have any car cleaning stuff. just in products from wax, window cleaner, intior cleaner, soap, rags, towels, will cost you around 50 dollars. A good buffer will cost about 100. The 3m pads, and polishes might hit a other 100 bucks.

Mind you I will have a disclaimer in every thing i do. Buffing is one thing that if you have never done before. I recommend you take it slow. Or even pay some one to do it.

As for your gauge cluster and other things. If its on the inside then your getting water or condensation in the inside. You would have to take out the whole cluster and if you can clean the inside. Then take caulk and seal the cluster. As for the shifter. You could go to a junke yeard and buy a used center console. They are pretty easy to take out. You could also take a razor blade and cut the plastic out. Then go to a place that makes car decals. Have them make one out of clear vinyl, or make one what will sit over the numbers with the gears in it. It might not light up. But if you drive a automatic you know that two down is drive. and i think one down is reverse.

4WideRacing

Forum Guru
SRD Member
Reaction score
I would also be interested in this, my car is a big mess right now.

David24

Supreme Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I'd like this too even though I know a lot of the basics. Might be something I didn't know or realize that you'd cover.

HoosierDaddy go to your local auto parts store and pick up a Haynes Manual. They are about $10-$15 but it has almost (if not) everything you need to know about your car. It will show you how to remove the cluster and center console

Janitor Dave

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Chevy Impala that I'd like to really clean up. The interior is in great condition right now (it is a 2011 after all) but I want it looking the absolute best that I can get it. That car is like a child to me right now lol

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Ok like I said give me a month. I also hope to get my pressure cleaner back in the next month.

Here are the section I have planned.
1 washing and drying.
2 paint prep for buffing this will include wet sanding, claying, buffing, wax
3 tires and rims
4 interior carpet and seats
5 wnidows and head lights
6 dash, vinyl, leather
7 touch up of paint and chips.
8 tires and wheels.
9 engine cleaning

If you guys have any more ideas let me know.

K.Chuck

--Hijinxtattoo--
SRD Member
Reaction score
Any good tips on cleaning white rims, I have 4 wheel disc breaks and the pads/rotors are pretty big. I get a lot of brake dust on them, its tough to clean it off the white. Soap dosnt even come colse to doing the trick. The best I have gotten is to use a toilet bowl brush and carb or brake cleaner. But spending 5 to 10 dollars on cleaning my rims every week sucks.

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I have three options for you. The cheapest and most simple. Got to wal mart but some black rattle can paint and sand paper. A other option is go to some place that sells ceramic break pads. I don't know if they work 100% as I don't have them. The third option I cant remember what we use to use. But it was nasty it could take the chrome off of good rims. Don't waste your money on stuff from stores. They don't work as good as stuff I had access to.

I have silver rims and go into the spokes with a normal sponge and soap and water. I don't clean my rims or waste a lot of time on them. There is a reason. I could go one block and they will be black again. It has gotten to the point were I want black rims.

K.Chuck

--Hijinxtattoo--
SRD Member
Reaction score
I have done a lot of looking in low dust pads and think its the only way to go. It wouldnt be so bad if I just took the car out on weekends but I drive it nearly everyday and the white rims fit the car almost perfectly. I live in a pretty big car community so I gotta keep my originality, Its all i got to keep my GT looking as good as all the Roush and Shelby Mustangs at Old Town every Friday night. If your ever in the Orlando area its a must come by event All American Muscle Car Cruise | Old Town

WoofGM

Since 1994
SRD Member
Reaction score
Cleaning rims, goto the local car store or any major store that sells automotive cleaning supplies. Look for " Mother's Power Ball " It is rather easy to use, fits on any standard type drill. For more information type " Mother's Power Ball " in Google. There you will lots lots of information on it's use, even videos on it use.

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I was going to say a mother ball. But I had one and hated it. It took more time then a rag or sponge.

dejaentendu7

SRD Member
Reaction score
I would love this. I work at a carwash, and have been wanting to detail cars on the side for the summer time. Business really gets slow during the summer (which before I worked here I wouldn't have ever figured).

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Daje the detailing business also gets slow in the summer. Usually people want it done in spring early summer. I would not branch off on your own. The cost vs profit is not there. Even if you can get 150-2oo per car. Then say you can do 2.5 cars a day. That is only 1000 a week. That might seem like a lot. But after Rent for a building, insurance, tools, supply's, other cost, Taxes, people like a CPA, Permits. It all adds up. Most likely you would be starting in the red. IT might be hard to impossible to make a profit.

I am not saying you cant do it. I am just giving you my thoughts. I have thought about doing it also. But I crunched numbers and never came out good or worth my time. I would have made more money flipping burgers part time then doing details on my own.

Last edited:

tipptruck

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Well sorry about the delay. I havent had any time to sit down and do any thing. So right now I am writing the rough draft right now. I am up to four pages right now. That is only about 1/8 of the outside work. When done I bet it will be close to 20 pages.

I will try to include pictures of what I can. Its kind of hard to get pictures with out any help. Since I live alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.